2011-2012 NHL national TV schedule out on Thursday

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Wow is NBC crazy? The day after Thanksgiving is a huge College Football Day, I know thats been a traditional game in Boston but I can't expect this to compete with College Football.

Later in the day, but 1pm they can get away with. Iowa vs. Nebraska, and Pitt vs. WVU (high rivalry, but none the less) are nothing to be afraid of.

Black Friday was always one of my top 2 or 3 favorite games of the year for the Flyers.

The thing I'm most excited for is that FINALLY we get a nationally televised Sunday Night game. It's been far too long, and was the best thing ESPN did. Now, are ALL non-NBC designated games going to be shown on VS, even if they're scheduled for the same time?

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I don't think ESPN/ABC bothered with exclusivity until the SCF. Now NBC has it from the 2nd round on. Kind of lame especially if they don't schedule the 2nd round well.

Well, in addition to NBC and Versus, they'll be able to tap other NBC/Universal stations so that all games can be seen in their entirety.

Mwd711

Jan 20, 2006
Later in the day, but 1pm they can get away with. Iowa vs. Nebraska, and Pitt vs. WVU (high rivalry, but none the less) are nothing to be afraid of.

Black Friday was always one of my top 2 or 3 favorite games of the year for the Flyers.

The thing I'm most excited for is that FINALLY we get a nationally televised Sunday Night game. It's been far too long, and was the best thing ESPN did. Now, are ALL non-NBC designated games going to be shown on VS, even if they're scheduled for the same time?

NBC gets the afternoon flex game while VS/NBCSN gets the night game. The flex game start times will change depending on what network shows it.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
lol. I just think.....Pittsbuegh and Washington fit in the flawed range for the moment. Where were those fanbases in like 03? Nowhere to be seen. When Crosby/Ovechkin do whatever they do(sign somewhere else eventually or retire)and the teams take a hit from that will they still be as popular or will it become like the pre Crosby/Ovechkin days where getting a ticket was some easy stuff for visiting fans and such.

12-13K were at Pens games watching an AHL level team. Next question....

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
12-13K were at Pens games watching an AHL level team. Next question....

Not so fast. That team was toast and Lemieux was ready to leave; Bettman saved it. Pittsburgh isn't a model franchise. I'm glad they have turned things around and are a huge draw and factor nationally (Thanks in part to Sid), but Edmonton has been an AHL franchise the last 5 years and have sold out every home game at higher prices than Pittsburgh had during their drought. Not saying Edm is unblemished or Pittsburgh is. But you can't just brush it off like that.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
NBC gets the afternoon flex game while VS/NBCSN gets the night game. The flex game start times will change depending on what network shows it.

Some weeks there is more than two games scheduled though.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin

They'll probably do a regional broadcast and then broadcast the game that will get the best ratings to the rest of the country.

Example: 1/22 - Boston @ Philadelphia or Washington @ Pittsburgh

New England and Delaware Valley get Boston @ Philadelphia, D.C. and Pittsburgh get Washington @ Pittsburgh. Rest of the country gets Washington @ Pittsburgh since it will get the better ratings.

Seaward*

I found it interesting that Versus is still doing a primarily Monday and Tuesday night viewing schedule. Although they did add Sunday evenings, which will be awesome, after the NFL season is over!

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Not so fast. That team was toast and Lemieux was ready to leave; Bettman saved it. Pittsburgh isn't a model franchise. I'm glad they have turned things around and are a huge draw and factor nationally (Thanks in part to Sid), but Edmonton has been an AHL franchise the last 5 years and have sold out every home game at higher prices than Pittsburgh had during their drought. Not saying Edm is unblemished or Pittsburgh is. But you can't just brush it off like that.
I remember statements similar to, Lemeiux wanted out for health reasons. He didn't want to saddle his wife with the possible burden of running the team. Now it's what 5 years later and Lemieux seems to have no problem with holding onto his stake in the team, strange.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

I think the only two weeks there are more than two games is the Hockey Day in America Sunday, which isn't a flex week. It is a double header on NBC and the NJ vs Montreal on NBCSN that night. The final day of the season is the other 3 games for flex week and in that case they said it is going to be 1 game on NBC and then the other two in a double header on NBCSN.

White Pine

May 26, 2011
upper ottawa valley
Don't know if anyone picked up on this, NHL and CBC were quite clever this year. They put Leafs vs Jets on Dec 31, probably to steal viewers from TSN and the World Juniors (probably Canada vs USA or Russia), and that's generally the point where everyone stops caring about NHL until the Gold Medal game is over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad