2010 the next 2003?

Los Patos de Anaheim

Nov 19, 2016
Idaho, USA
We all know that the 2003 draft class is top 3 all time with 1979 and 1988. But does the 2010 draft class have the ability to reach that status? 25 players at 95+ points, and 49 players at over 100 games. The first and second rounds were pretty loaded, but there aren't many late round gems like the aforementioned drafts. Does 2010 stack up as an all time great draft year?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
We all know that the 2003 draft class is top 3 all time with 1979 and 1988. But does the 2010 draft class have the ability to reach that status? 25 players at 95+ points, and 49 players at over 100 games. The first and second rounds were pretty loaded, but there aren't many late round gems like the aforementioned drafts. Does 2010 stack up as an all time great draft year?

I dont think so. Still, its early to say, lets wait at least 10 years.

And now lets look to the 1. round:

This guys seems to peak already. And we must say, they numbers arent that great.

#6 Tampa Bay Lightning Brett Connolly (RW/LW)
#8 Atlanta Thrashers Alexander Burmistrov (C/W)
#10 New York Rangers Dylan McIlrath (D)
#11 Dallas Stars Jack Campbell (G)
#15 Los Angeles Kings Derek Forbort (D)
#18 Nashville Predators Austin Watson (RW/C)
#20 Pittsburgh Penguins Beau Bennett (RW/LW)
#21 Detroit Red Wings Riley Sheahan (C/LW)
#29 Anaheim Ducks Emerson Etem (LW/RW)

This guys are Draft Busts
#17 Colorado Avalanche Joey Hishon (C)
#22 Montréal Canadiens Jarred Tinordi (D)
#25 Florida Panthers Quinton Howden (C/W)
#27 Arizona Coyotes Mark Visentin (G)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'd say it needs a bigger star or two. As good as these guys are, no one has been a very key guy on a title team (like Fluery, Getzlaf, Perry and Staal had been at a younger age than these guys) or collected significant silverware. What is the most prestigious award someone from that draft has won? or even been nominated for? Weber was a mainstay for Norris nominations. Getzlaf has finished 2nd in Hart voting while Perry won that and the art ross once. Bergeron has been a staple for the Selke and a very key player on a cup team. Brent Burns just won the Norris.

How many guys from the 2010 draft would you be comfortable trying to build a cup contender around? There's not really one guy who fits that, at best they are probably your 2nd option (closest is Tank but how many are really comfortable trying to build around a winger). I'd say in their peaks people would be comfortable saying that about Getzlaf, Bergeron, E. Staal, and Weber.

Long-term, I'm curious at how 2013 and 2015 play out, I'd have higher hopes for those classes than 2010.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
I remember that draft like yesterday, right after the Flyers-Blackhawks final. Wow, time flies. It's been a better class than expected, but no where the level of 2003 imo (and 2003 is nothing compared to 1979, I think we can say it after 14 years ;). No Raymond Bourque and No Mark Messier). The most impressive thing about the 2003 is the quantity of really good players. But no true legend.

Last edited:

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
I think 2018 is the next 2003. 2010 is looking pretty good too though.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
It was a good draft (Guys like Tarasenko, Seguin amongst others) still don't think it'll be close to the impact 1979, 1984 or 2003 had.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I dont think so. Still, its early to say, lets wait at least 10 years.

And now lets look to the 1. round:

This guys seems to peak already. And we must say, they numbers arent that great.

#6 Tampa Bay Lightning Brett Connolly (RW/LW)
#8 Atlanta Thrashers Alexander Burmistrov (C/W)
#10 New York Rangers Dylan McIlrath (D)
#11 Dallas Stars Jack Campbell (G)
#15 Los Angeles Kings Derek Forbort (D)
#18 Nashville Predators Austin Watson (RW/C)
#20 Pittsburgh Penguins Beau Bennett (RW/LW)
#21 Detroit Red Wings Riley Sheahan (C/LW)
#29 Anaheim Ducks Emerson Etem (LW/RW)

This guys are Draft Busts
#17 Colorado Avalanche Joey Hishon (C)
#22 Montréal Canadiens Jarred Tinordi (D)
#25 Florida Panthers Quinton Howden (C/W)
#27 Arizona Coyotes Mark Visentin (G)

It's not fair to say Derek Forbort or Jack Campbell has already peaked. This past season was Forbort's 1st season playing in the NHL and he looked like a stud out there. To say he's already hit his full potential is unfair. Jack Campbell obviously hasn't peaked yet considering this past season where he was arguably the best goalie in the AHL. You gotta think if he continues the path he's on he'll snag the back-up role behind Jonathan Quick this season.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

It was really only a good draft for forwards. D drafted is a wasteland of under-achievers and never weres. Really only Fowler, Faulk and Klingberg turned into anything of real difference makers.

2003 turned out Suter, Phaneuf, Seabrook, Burns, Weber, Byfuglien, Enstrom that had peaks at or above that quality level.

2003 was just a weird draft. Heck there was like 7 or 8 players from the 9th round still playing in the NHL a decade after the draft. Thats nuts.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
We should watch how we define busts.

Joey Hishon was a 1st team all-star in his draft+1 year but unfortunately got an viscous elbow to his head from Brayden McNabb in the Memorial Cup and subsequently didn't play hockey for almost 2 years. He wasn't a "bust", he got injured and was never the same.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Glad the first 2 rounds were stacked...Philly didn't pick until the 3rd Rd.

:shakehead

Pretty sad when your best picks are Tye McGinn and Michael Chaput...with 17 and 16 career points each. Both no longer on Flyers.

At least Hextal traded McGinn for a 3rd which we used on Felix Sandstrom. Not a total waste of a draft yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad