Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
tumblr_lld970xQWC1qb10a5o1_500.jpg

AINEC.

Oct 15, 2008
Who is getting 4 to 5 min extra time per game.

Rougly, Hall gets 4:30 in PP time per game Sequin 3:20 ...

Hall is scoring at over a ppg pace. Sequin has one assist. Even if you account for the extra PPTOI/G and TOI/G Hall is still outscoring Sequin.

NeutralZone

Oct 29, 2011
At the time, I thought Hall was the right choice. Hall had the passion and drive that Edmonton badly needed. Even with the benefit of hindsight, I still feel he was the right choice. Edmonton still needs that passion, and for all people like to say Seguin is has superior skills, Hall has consistently outscored Seguin while bringing more intangibles to the table. It's treated as gospel that Seguin is more useful because he can play centre, but he hasn't proven he can play centre at an NHL level. I'll admit Sequin's defensive game is more disciplined than Hall's, but you can't pick and choose qualities to assemble some kind of super player: you have to take one player or the other. As a whole, I think Hall is the better player for Edmonton and I think the difference has gotten larger not smaller since the draft.

Niet

Feb 26, 2010
Edmonton
Seems pretty irrelevant whether we took Hall or Seguin, because, you know, we don't have time machines.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
:laugh: Well you know, Seguin has played so good that he's not producing at all! Personally I'm pissed at Seguin because he is in my keeper league and he's done sweet **** all this year so far.

I've caught a few Bruins games and he is definitely due.
I'm surprised about his slow start because he was destroying the Swiss league during the lock out.

SchultzSquared*

I've caught a few Bruins games and he is definitely due.
I'm surprised about his slow start because he was destroying the Swiss league during the lock out.

We just need to dress a clothes washer against him on the blueline... he'll be stumped...

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Hall is scoring at over a ppg pace. Sequin has one assist. Even if you account for the extra PPTOI/G and TOI/G Hall is still outscoring Sequin.

Yes, Hall is getting all those wonderful 2nd assists on the powerplay courtesy of Schultz and Eberle ... if Seguin was on that unit, he'd probably have 10 points by now.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Yes, Hall is getting all those wonderful 2nd assists on the powerplay courtesy of Schultz and Eberle ... if Seguin was on that unit, he'd probably have 10 points by now.

Why can't Seguin pick up 2cnd assists on the heels of Bergeron, Marchand, Chara, etc ?

The other thing about Seguin is off the ice he may be even more of a party boy than Hall is. At least Hall and Eberle are somewhat civilized and can handle the responsibility of having an apartment.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Yep, that Yakupov baseball swing was definitely a secondary assist. I question if you really watch the games.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

1984victory_1431681i.jpg

Seriously though, the thing with these hypotheticals is it assumes too many things.

Odds are if we had taken Seguin, we wouldn't have taken Nugent Hopkins (probably Adam Larsson), and if we had taken Adam Larsson, I'm not sure Justin Schultz would opt to pick the Oilers.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
We would have a better club today if we had Seguin centering Eberle and Landeskog.

Would we magically trade Horcoff and Smyth for the two of them?

Because if not then all we would have done is swapped out two good young players for two other good young players and not changed anything that is actually a problem on the team.

Its not like Landeskog's 1 goal and zero assists combined with Sequin's 0 goals and 1 assist would be a great improvement on Hall's 1 goal and 4 assists and Hopkins' 0 goals and 3 assists.

8 points>2 points.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Taylor Hall has 4 assists this season. 1 secondary assist which did come on the PP. His other 3 assists have all been primary assists and have not come on the PP...

Your argument frankly is terrible.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Taylor Hall has 4 assists this season. 1 secondary assist which did come on the PP. His other 3 assists have all been primary assists and have not come on the PP...

Your argument frankly is terrible.

You forgot "I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul" :)

pocketful

"We'll see"
Feb 3, 2012
I like Seguin's game better right now but...Hall has intangibles that I would rather have on the team.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Sequin is playing 15 to 17 min a night with very limited powerplay time.

Hall is playing 19 to 22 min a night with 1st line powerplay duties.

Your hate for Sequin is nonsensical. Both are fantastic players.

Hall appears to have more drive and determination, with reckless speed.

However, Sequin's sublime stickhandling and shot, could lead to a longer, more productive career.

The Oilers could of used both of these players ... Sequin, who can play center (but is only used in that role by Boston in limited situations), would of been the better long term fit for the Oilers, IMHO.

I like Gagner, but we need a bigger physical presence that can win faceoffs in that number 2 spot. Could that of been Sequin?

...and why is that? Seguin is 7th amongst Bruins forwards in ice time so far. Lets not talk about him like he's a victim of circumstances. Hall is a 1st line player. If Seguin was a first line player he would be used as one...and he's getting "very limited PP time"? He's averaging 3:29 a game.

People don't like when I bring this up but the reality is that Hall was better in junior, he was better in their rookie season, he was better last season and he's been better this season. The only time Seguin has ever been better was in a 2-3 week stretch where Hall had 0 goals in 9 games while Seguin had 10 goals in 9 games. Both streaks came at the same time and that's when everyone decided Seguin was better.

Before the Streaks
Hall: 8 games- 3 goals and 8 points
Seguin: 6 games- 1 goal and 5 points

During the Streaks
Hall: 9 games- 0 goals and 3 points
Seguin: 9 games- 10 goals and 15 points

After the Streaks(Mid November to the end of their seasons)
Hall: 44 games- 24 goals and 42 points
Seguin: 66 games- 18 goals and 47 points

After Hall's slump he had 6 more goals in 22 less games. That is significantly better. Seguin's stats were inflated by an incredible 9 game stretch that he never came remotely close to repeating. He may have finished the season with 29 goals/67 points but on a game to game basis, it was more realistic to expect him to play more like a 20 goal/50 point player. I know people hate when I say that because he did put up the goals and points but how can you not acknowledge that kind of run? Hall was much more effective on a nightly basis.

And for the record, Seguin may be way more skilled than Gagner...but if we're talking about size. If Gagner and Seguin are battling in the corner with each other, my money is on Gagner to come away with the puck. He works a lot harder out there and is much more willing to go into the dirty areas of the ice. Also, last season Seguin was about 45% on the dot.

Last edited:

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006

Hall has 1 goal, 3 primary assists and 1 secondary assist.

Edit: I should have finished reading the thread. Spawn beat me to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad