2010 NHL Entry draft:Looking Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Having a o[poll like this on an Oilers forum is biased. Post it on the main board and see the results.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The only thing Seguin has going for him is health at this point. And that is am important thing to look at, especially considering the type of game that Hall plays. But in terms of actual on ice hockey, Hall is the better player.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Funny enough, everything is the same now as it was then: both very equal players but I prefer Hall for his emotional role on the team. I think it gives him an edge over Seguin.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
I think this is all a reaction to Hall's attempts at beating people by stick handling through their legs. It doesn't work.

He had a really bad game. It happens. Even playing like crap he put up more points last night than Seguin has all year so far.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
We should have taken Sequin. Hall tries too hard, cares to much and wants to win more than anyone. Obviously we can't have players like that around here.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Even if Seguin ends up being the better player, which is a massive IF, looking back at the time of the draft: I would choose the player who made the WJC team and won two memorial cup MVPs everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Hall had a bad game so obviously Seguin would have been the better pick. Am i doing this right?

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
At this point all you can look at is their stats
Hall 130 GP 50 goals 50 assists 100 points
Seguin 159 GP 40 goals 50 assists 90 points

Hall has the bigger frame and is the type of player that this team needs. Seguin is a good player but I take Hall for the way that he plays the game.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
For most of the time before the draft I wanted Seguin. At the time of the draft, I was 50-50. Now I'd go with Seguin. Hall's rambunctious style worries me that he might be injury prone. As has been said, it will take years to settle this, if it ever is.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
At this point all you can look at is their stats
Hall 130 GP 50 goals 50 assists 100 points
Seguin 159 GP 40 goals 50 assists 90 points

Hall has the bigger frame and is the type of player that this team needs. Seguin is a good player but I take Hall for the way that he plays the game.

Hall also hits a lot more, blocks more shots, and has more takeaways. Good thing Seguin is so much better defensively right? :sarcasm:

Baggie

Aug 19, 2011
If we went back to 2010 now, I'd propably be a 50/50 guy. It was a tough choice back then and even now in 2013 it'd still be a tough choice to say who's better because in my opinion their game is on the same level, just different style.

Of course right now, as Hall is our guy and we love him (including me), I would not trade him to Seguin.

Oct 15, 2008
Sequin is playing 15 to 17 min a night with very limited powerplay time.

Hall is playing 19 to 22 min a night with 1st line powerplay duties.

Your hate for Sequin is nonsensical. Both are fantastic players.

Hall appears to have more drive and determination, with reckless speed.

However, Sequin's sublime stickhandling and shot, could lead to a longer, more productive career.

The Oilers could of used both of these players ... Sequin, who can play center (but is only used in that role by Boston in limited situations), would of been the better long term fit for the Oilers, IMHO.

I like Gagner, but we need a bigger physical presence that can win faceoffs in that number 2 spot. Could that of been Sequin?

Sequin is on the first line with Bergeron and Marchand. He has more PPTOI/G than either of his linemates and is fourth on the Bruins forwards for PPTOI/G.

Brad Marchand is tied for the team lead in scoring. Is he being given limited opportunities?

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Sequin is on the first line with Bergeron and Marchand. He has more PPTOI/G than either of his linemates and is fourth on the Bruins forwards for PPTOI/G.

Brad Marchand is tied for the team lead in scoring. Is he being given limited opportunities?

Who is getting 4 to 5 min extra time per game.

Rougly, Hall gets 4:30 in PP time per game Sequin 3:20 ...

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not a troll thread you say? I remember last year when Seguin got out to his hot streak and Hall was returning from injury and not playing well, now we are still bringing this crap up when Hall is outscoring Seguin by 4 points while having played the same amount of games? Seguin has the least amount of points on his LINE, there are 9 players on his TEAM that have more points, and now is the time that you choose to post this? Hall is tied for the team lead in scoring in spite of not looking like he's playing at his best. His play right now reminds me a bit of his first 5-7 games in the AHL, after that he found his way and went on a tear. His speed backs defenses off like no one else on this team, once he settles down a bit, stops trying to force the cross ice pass to Eberle on the PP, and starts making better decisions with the puck he will be more than fine.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He had a really bad game. It happens. Even playing like crap he put up more points last night than Seguin has all year so far.

:laugh: Well you know, Seguin has played so good that he's not producing at all! Personally I'm pissed at Seguin because he is in my keeper league and he's done sweet **** all this year so far.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Really Jimmie, you believe Edmonton has more depth than Boston. That comment says an awful lot about your hockey IQ.

:laugh:, you get confused so easily. It's ok I'll explain.

Well it's true teams with depth use that depth, the reality is that, even on those "deep teams", the best players get "the most time". That's why on a deep team like the Bruins, Zdeno Chara plays close to 30 minutes a night.

I hope that dis-spells some of the confusion.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Not a troll thread you say? I remember last year when Seguin got out to his hot streak and Hall was returning from injury and not playing well, now we are still bringing this crap up when Hall is outscoring Seguin by 4 points while having played the same amount of games? Seguin has the least amount of points on his LINE, there are 9 players on his TEAM that have more points, and now is the time that you choose to post this? Hall is tied for the team lead in scoring in spite of not looking like he's playing at his best. His play right now reminds me a bit of his first 5-7 games in the AHL, after that he found his way and went on a tear. His speed backs defenses off like no one else on this team, once he settles down a bit, stops trying to force the cross ice pass to Eberle on the PP, and starts making better decisions with the puck he will be more than fine.

I can't believe how many people turn this into a hate Sequin thread when they are both incredible talents.

I suppose if Sequin got all those sweet second assists on the PP care of Schultz and Eberle he'd have some nice stats right now too.

4 games in and your cutting Sequin from the Bruins roster.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
:laugh:, you get confused so easily. It's ok I'll explain.

Well it's true teams with depth use that depth, the reality is that, even on those "deep teams", the best players get "the most time". That's why on a deep team like the Bruins, Zdeno Chara plays close to 30 minutes a night.

I hope that dis-spells some of the confusion.

I'll help with your inability to understand. Teams like Boston have more depth and therefore more options. Hall on Boston would get as much as time as Sequin. Sequin in Edmonton would be a fixture on the top lines/unit.

One guy plays on an NHL team, the other an AHL team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->