2010 NHL Draft: Verdict still out on Pittsburgh Penguins draft class

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
beau_bennett_pittsburgh_041015.jpg
Photo: Beau Bennett is ready to break out after getting into injury trouble in each of his last five*seasons. (Courtesy of Jeanine Leech/Icon Sportswire)

</p>The Pittsburgh Penguins went into the 2010 NHL Draft looking to increase their offensive depth and came away using four of their six picks that year on forwards. While they have yet to meet their projected potential, several look like they could develop into solid NHL players.

There were many forwards former GM Ray Shero was eyeing, though the team eventually settled on BCHL forward Beau Bennett, who was scheduled to join Denver University for the 2010-11 NHL season.… read more

The post 2010 NHL Draft: Verdict still out on Pittsburgh Penguins draft class appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I don't think the jury's out at all. Bennett is without a doubt an impact NHL player if he can find a way to avoid injury/illness. I don't think he's a top six option, but he's a decent, if not good third liner.

Rust is a borderline NHLer, tops out as a 4th liner. That's about it for that draft.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
In order of most ice-time

Sutter
Spaling
Malkin
Neal
Downie

vs

Brouwer
Johansen
Ward
Wilson
Chimera

Really wish this myth would be retired, but I know it's never going to be.

jhopspensfan

May 1, 2002
South of Pittsburgh
Visit site
The only thing Beau Bennett is getting ready to break out of is a cast. Guy is an utter, complete bust. Terrible scouting (see Shero, Ray). Bennett was drafted because he had some good roller hockey hands. He's slow, terrible along the boards, soff as hot butter, and he would rather be playing the piano. Rumor has it Pens didn't receive one call on Bennett at the trade deadline this year, which tells you all you need to know. Bennett has no value whatsoever. Tender him an offer, send him down, and if he gets picked up on waivers-perfect. If he doesn't, maybe he adds some offense to WBS. Another rumor is he turned down an opportunity to train with Gary Roberts last summer. If you were Beau Bennett-what would you rather do-hit the beaches and co-eds in Cali, or spend your summer doing grueling training? Bennett's just further reminder of what an incompetent GM Shero was. Wonder if NJ fans realize that in 7 years they will have no draft picks, no prospects, and aging untradeable veterans with high cap hits? Ray Shero set the Penguins franchise back years. Time for Bennett to go as well...don't let the piano hit you on the ass as you leave.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
The only thing Beau Bennett is getting ready to break out of is a cast. Guy is an utter, complete bust. Terrible scouting (see Shero, Ray). Bennett was drafted because he had some good roller hockey hands. He's slow, terrible along the boards, soff as hot butter, and he would rather be playing the piano. Rumor has it Pens didn't receive one call on Bennett at the trade deadline this year, which tells you all you need to know. Bennett has no value whatsoever. Tender him an offer, send him down, and if he gets picked up on waivers-perfect. If he doesn't, maybe he adds some offense to WBS. Another rumor is he turned down an opportunity to train with Gary Roberts last summer. If you were Beau Bennett-what would you rather do-hit the beaches and co-eds in Cali, or spend your summer doing grueling training? Bennett's just further reminder of what an incompetent GM Shero was. Wonder if NJ fans realize that in 7 years they will have no draft picks, no prospects, and aging untradeable veterans with high cap hits? Ray Shero set the Penguins franchise back years. Time for Bennett to go as well...don't let the piano hit you on the ass as you leave.

Tell us how you really feel!

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh

DK is that you?

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

Isn't that kind of where they are now, at least with respect to prospects and aging veterans? Yeah, Shero could make it worse, but probably not by much.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I don't think the jury's out at all. Bennett is without a doubt an impact NHL player if he can find a way to avoid injury/illness. I don't think he's a top six option, but he's a decent, if not good third liner.

Rust is a borderline NHLer, tops out as a 4th liner. That's about it for that draft.
Hmm...

Has he been able to avoid injury/illness though?
Thank you.. somebody is in touch with reality around here.

I swear it's going to be 2020, Beau will still have never played a full season, and folks around here will still make excuses for him. I have a lot of respect for people who tell it like it is. It's a breath of fresh air.

How many more years do we have to waste on the BB experiment before folks realize that this guy simply isn't built to be an NHL player? It's just annoying at this point. I see no point in holding onto a player who is as frail as he is. After 3 injury plagued seasons, I'm ready to throw into the towel and move onto a prospect who can at least handle the rigors of playing in the NHL, even if said prospect isn't as high upside as BB.

What some folks around here will never realize.. a high potential prospect is useless if he misses 1 of every 2 games. There's no way to develop and reach your full potential when you miss ~50% of all games due to injury. That's exactly where BB is at right now.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Oh hey, another article that turns us into whiners about Bennett.

I'm still going to reserve judgement until after this next season when Beau is healthier.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA

Rumors started by the voices in your head aren't real rumors

Hmm...

Has he been able to avoid injury/illness though?

Thank you.. somebody is in touch with reality around here.

I swear it's going to be 2020, Beau will still have never played a full season, and folks around here will still make excuses for him. I have a lot of respect for people who tell it like it is. It's a breath of fresh air.

How many more years do we have to waste on the BB experiment before folks realize that this guy simply isn't built to be an NHL player? It's just annoying at this point. I see no point in holding onto a player who is as frail as he is. After 3 injury plagued seasons, I'm ready to throw into the towel and move onto a prospect who can at least handle the rigors of playing in the NHL, even if said prospect isn't as high upside as BB.

What some folks around here will never realize.. a high potential prospect is useless if he misses 1 of every 2 games. There's no way to develop and reach your full potential when you miss ~50% of all games due to injury. That's exactly where BB is at right now.

You only need about 40 games but sure be hyperbolic about it. You wouldn't want to waste half season on playing a young 2nd liner to see what he has. Stop complaining and suggest something different. I want to hear who you are putting in his spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad