2010 NHL Draft: Arizona Coyotes patient with 2010 draft class

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
brandon_gormley_arizona_022815.jpg
Photo: Arizona Coyotes defenseman Brandon Gormley has played in 32 NHL games to date, picking up two goals and four points in those games (courtesy of Fred Kfoury III/Icon Sportswire)

</p> They had not yet formulated as the Arizona Coyotes in 2010, and their scouting staff was geared more towards drafting for immediate need, rather than best player available. Often a time of renewal and hope, the 2010 NHL Entry Draft originally presented the Coyotes with only four picks, and adding prospects to a depleted prospect pool became their focus.

Highly regarded as a top five pick by draft pundits, Brandon Gormley fell to 13th overall, generally referred to as a blessing for the Coyotes, who desperately needed a game-breaker at that time.… read more

The post 2010 NHL Draft: Arizona Coyotes patient with 2010 draft class appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
With all due respect to the goaltenders in the Coyotes system at the time, names like Al Montoya, Josh Tordjman, Brett Bennett, and Scott Darling, the group was lacking a top-flight goaltending prospect and they appeared to solve that dilemma early.
Scott Darling is my favorite part. Decent chance he gets his name on the Stanley Cup next month.

Meanwhile Brandon Gormley is about 3 months away from David Rundblad status.

*smh*

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Could have had Tarosenko (or at least Swartz) and Faulk

The 2010 draft will come back to haunt us, just like the '03 one has

Grvmnd

Apr 20, 2015
Lindberg has made his NHL debut with the Rangers already too.

Why did we trade this guy again? Was there even a reason? Seeing his ahl stat line and what he's doing in the playoffs has me grinding my teeth a bit.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Why did we trade this guy again? Was there even a reason? Seeing his ahl stat line and what he's doing in the playoffs has me grinding my teeth a bit.

Maloney traded for some stupid minor leaguer that had some size.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Could have had Tarosenko (or at least Swartz) and Faulk

The 2010 draft will come back to haunt us, just like the '03 one has

Yeah, we should have taken a chance one one of those three (and Fowler, who required slightly trading up). Coyle or Nelson also could have been had as he was one/three picks after Visentin.

That was definitely a big missed opportunity; one of the best drafts in recent memory, and we have yet to see much fruit from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad