2010 Hart voting

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Sedin won the Hart largely because "Henrik is still scoring while Daniel is hurt" made for a good story, not because he was "most valuable to his team." It was telling that Daniel had practically the same season the next year and finished second to Perry, who had a less impressive season than several of the guys Henrik beat out. Someone brought up OV's win in 2013, and that was the same thing. "OV has a monster second half (well, quarter) after observers had left him for dead" made for a good story, but he was not the most valuable player to his team, either.

That was a pattern in the first half of the 2010s, where the PHWA was casting votes on the basis of what was sexy to write about, rather than following the actual award criteria.
Most valuable to his team is a crap metric. It is so vague as to be meaningless. The most valuable player is the best player, and with a few very notable exceptions, has generally been voted on as such.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
He plays a completely different game. I think the Athletic had a breakdown of how he scored his goals pre-2010 to post 2010.

He wasn't a huge one-timer threat back then. He scored a lot more even strength (although he was always good on the PP), where now he is mostly a PP threat. He was a huge force off the rush back then (including 1 on 2 solo rushes where he would cross to the middle and rip a wrist shot that no one seemed able to stop).

I've heard the whole "it was the suspensions that changed his game" or "it was the change in focus after losing to Montreal," and I just don't buy it. You don't change your style from scoring 65 goals just because you ran into a hot goalie. I think it was more - the margins in the NHL that separated him from the pack on a physical level decreased just a tad, and it was enough to bring him back to the pack primarily on his speed and agility as he aged. And that's natural. And it took a couple of seasons for him to adjust his game to the new reality.

OV lost his explosiveness, probably from age, around 2011. It's a credit to him that he was willing to swallow his pride and listen to the folks who were telling him he could still be very effective if he carried the puck a lot less and opened himself up to finding free space and hammering pucks on the net as soon as he got them--daring the goaltenders to make the save while moving laterally. I don't think it's a coincidence that he started emerging as a solid leader right around this time.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Sedin won the Hart largely because "Henrik is still scoring while Daniel is hurt" made for a good story, not because he was "most valuable to his team." It was telling that Daniel had practically the same season the next year and finished second to Perry, who had a less impressive season than several of the guys Henrik beat out. Someone brought up OV's win in 2013, and that was the same thing. "OV has a monster second half (well, quarter) after observers had left him for dead" made for a good story, but he was not the most valuable player to his team, either.

I think Ovie definitely has a case in '13 for most valuable. He doubled up on Crosby in goals - a key stat Crosby was barely top 50 in.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
OV lost his explosiveness, probably from age, around 2011. It's a credit to him that he was willing to swallow his pride and listen to the folks who were telling him he could still be very effective if he carried the puck a lot less and opened himself up to finding free space and hammering pucks on the net as soon as he got them--daring the goaltenders to make the save while moving laterally. I don't think it's a coincidence that he started emerging as a solid leader right around this time.

That's not necessarily just as effective though, it may be just as effective at racking up goal stats, but it's come at a cost.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

That was a pattern in the first half of the 2010s, where the PHWA was casting votes on the basis of what was sexy to write about, rather than following the actual award criteria.

if things are close, monster second half will almost always win the hart over the consistent guy who was the favourite all year. in the post-gretzky/mario era: pronger over jagr in 2000, theodore over iginla in 2002, forsberg over naslund in 2003, thornton over jagr in 2006, henrik over ovechkin in 2010, perry over daniel in 2011, ovechkin over crosby in 2013,

i can think of three exceptions—two are because the guy who took the art ross at the end of the season didn't make the playoffs. that's MSL catching an injured crosby in 2013 and jamie benn with his five point game in 2015.

the other one is a special case: jagr in 2001 caught sakic in the art ross race and had a crazy second half. but obviously the mario variable worked against him.

Most valuable to his team is a crap metric. It is so vague as to be meaningless. The most valuable player is the best player, and with a few very notable exceptions, has generally been voted on as such.

Well, Henrik wasn't that, either.

the goal post of most valuable to his team is open-ended enough that sure you can definitely argue that henrik sedin was that. that team had a pretty hard road in the 2010 season. their goalie, who happened to be the captain, flamed out in the elimination game of the previous playoffs. (the canucks had three different leads in that game, and daniel sedin in particular had a fantastic game to keep bringing vancouver back, until luongo let in two goals in a minute with seven minutes away from possible victory and ended the season on three straight blackhawk goals and the hats falling for patrick kane.) there was also a leadership vacuum, with sundin's retirement, the most senior canuck/sedin mentor mattias ohlund gone to tampa bay, and the pressure of being captain and goalie really weighing on luongo. and the really underrated thing is this all happens with the complete and total distraction of the olympics in vancouver.

then daniel goes down and henrik basically steps into that role that sundin vacated and becomes the team's de facto captain. somehow pulls himself into the top ten in goals while keeping the team afloat (11-7-0 with daniel out). there's a very good argument that that run, as statistically not super impressive as it was, was what made that team realize that they weren't just the guys hanging back limiting shots on luongo (who, remember, basically was the canucks gameplan before this), they realized that they could hang with anybody in the league.

i mean obviously you could make other arguments that ovechkin or crosby, or one of the elite goalies, was the most valuable to their teams. but you can certainly also make the argument that henrik was it too.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

It's a pretty dumb metric in that it is largely unfollowed. I'd also say that more than very few notable exceptions where the trophy went to someone who was not the best player. I'd guess off the top of my head that it goes to someone who isn't the best player around 30% of the time. You can mitigate that somewhat by limiting it to the best player who played essentially a full season but even then there are plenty of instances where the player who wasn't the best received the award.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Agreed. You can use it to differentiate between players who are really close maybe - but it shouldn't be as important as it sometimes seems to be lately.

Best player is the most valuable player

Reactions: Midnight Judges

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It's a pretty dumb metric in that it is largely unfollowed. I'd also say that more than very few notable exceptions where the trophy went to someone who was not the best player. I'd guess off the top of my head that it goes to someone who isn't the best player around 30% of the time. You can mitigate that somewhat by limiting it to the best player who played essentially a full season but even then there are plenty of instances where the player who wasn't the best received the award.
Well we have almost 100 Hart trophies awarded, so I'll wait for the list.

Reactions: Voight

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Well we have almost 100 Hart trophies awarded, so I'll wait for the list.

You require a list for the obvious point that there are more than just a few instances where the Hart didn't go to the best player? There are at least four instances in the past ten years (Hall, Ovechkin, Perry, Sedin) and more than enough well known instances to indicate that it's more than just a few, even if we remove instances where the best player most of the season. You can quibble about whether it happens 30% of the time but it's by no means a very rare occurrence.

Reactions: seventieslord

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Ovi also missed time due to suspensions, if I recall - which is probably going to weaken the case of "this guy should win but for missed games" as a narrative.

...And he pretty much has only himself to blame for not doing so.

Thing is, all you need to do is "give back" the games he missed due to his grandfathers funeral and he wins the Ross/Richard. He doesn't need all 82 games in this case.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Thing is, all you need to do is "give back" the games he missed due to his grandfathers funeral and he wins the Ross/Richard. He doesn't need all 82 games in this case.

i have no memory of this. i know he missed two games when he went back to russia to visit his sick grandfather, but that was in the previous season.

which of his stretch of missed games were for his grandfather's funeral? i know there were two suspensions and the one injury.

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015
In 2008-09 Ovechkin missed two games because of the funeral and one he was injured.

In 2009-10 he lost six games due to injury and four because of suspensions.

Reactions: seventieslord

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
That's not necessarily just as effective though, it may be just as effective at racking up goal stats, but it's come at a cost.

I doubt anyone thinks post-2010 OV is as effective as before. But the player he became from 2013 on is still a pretty useful guy to have on your hockey club and certainly night and day better than the 2012 guy. Nobody's going to say no to a guy who hammers home 50 almost every year and whatever his two way game lacks, it's worth noting that he's not the sort of player that makes bad turnovers at the lines all that often. He sort of just plays the percentages as well as he knows how to and tries to get open (with his shot and his strength, that's enough to score buckets).

I'd be happy to have the guy on Pittsburgh, that's for sure.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
i have no memory of this. i know he missed two games when he went back to russia to visit his sick grandfather, but that was in the previous season.

which of his stretch of missed games were for his grandfather's funeral? i know there were two suspensions and the one injury.

In 2008-09 Ovechkin missed two games because of the funeral and one he was injured.

In 2009-10 he lost six games due to injury and four because of suspensions.

My mistake. Anyhow, if the Russian Machine only misses half of those games due to suspension the point still stands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad