2010 Free Agency Begins

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
How do that apply to rookie signings who can reasonably be expected to go to a lottery? And at what point is the 80 player cap counted? If it's the start of the season, then teams can trade or waive as necessary to get back down to 80. If it's a hard cap in force as we speak, then that's a different matter...

Good questions. I believe we discussed it being a hard cap (good memory Jeff)

I have 11 spots and I'm bidding on about 7 or 8 at the max and a few more below that. Given history and the odds, I might land 2-3 of those max lottery offers at the most. But obviously I'm not bidding on 20 of them, because if I suddenly land all of them then I'm in trouble. I have to be selective because of the 80 roster limit, and the way FA works. But I think that's the intentions of those limits.

It's the reason we're doing two lottery draws. Because if I still have roster spots, there are a few more guys I might go after in round two.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Good questions. I believe we discussed it being a hard cap (good memory Jeff)

I have 11 spots and I'm bidding on about 7 or 8 at the max and a few more below that. Given history and the odds, I might land 2-3 of those max lottery offers at the most. But obviously I'm not bidding on 20 of them, because if I suddenly land all of them then I'm in trouble. I have to be selective because of the 80 roster limit, and the way FA works. But I think that's the intentions of those limits.

It's the reason we're doing two lottery draws. Because if I still have roster spots, there are a few more guys I might go after in round two.

But we can rank players below a max offer right, so that say, if we go to a lottery for Jonas Gustavsson, if we lose, we have a second-ranked offer that heads off to another player? Or is that too complicated?

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
But we can rank players below a max offer right, so that say, if we go to a lottery for Jonas Gustavsson, if we lose, we have a second-ranked offer that heads off to another player? Or is that too complicated?

By being included in the lottery you've made your choice on that player in the group, the remaining players in your list would be going to other teams and possibly other lotteries. If they didn't sign anywhere else then of course you could fire up a new round of offers for round 2 and take your chances again.

Does that sound right/fair?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
So say you have 4 targets for UDFA. Does priority matter even slightly on those 4 targets provided they get max offers from other teams?

For example, if I offer a max contract to Johnny Skater as my 1st priority and another team offers a max contract at 3rd priority, does my priority on that list prevent them from being included in the lottery or do all UDFA players go to lottery that get more than one max offer?

EDIT: For clarity, if we KNOW that we have 4 players that are likely to get max free agent offers as UDFA players..... we are ONLY going to be in ONE lottery for our FIRST priority. If we lose, we lose. Is that correct?

Last edited:

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
So say you have 4 targets for UDFA. Does priority matter even slightly on those 4 targets provided they get max offers from other teams?

For example, if I offer a max contract to Johnny Skater as my 1st priority and another team offers a max contract at 3rd priority, does my priority on that list prevent them from being included in the lottery or do all UDFA players go to lottery that get more than one max offer?

EDIT: For clarity, if we KNOW that we have 4 players that are likely to get max free agent offers as UDFA players..... we are ONLY going to be in ONE lottery for our FIRST priority. If we lose, we lose. Is that correct?

The point in your edit is correct. If you have a grouping of players ranked #1-4 you will only be in a position to sign or be in a lottery for one of them, not all four. If you wanted to try and sign ALL of them you would need all four players to be ranked #1 in their own groups.

I think the scenario you're describing prior to that is probably never going to happen. What are the chances the #1 and #2 players on Team Bs list aren't max offers and they aren't involved in a lottery for those players already, making the guy they have at #3 kind of moot. They would have signed or been entered into a lottery on player #1 already before the remaining come into question. Now if both teams offer less than max but equal money (say $600,000), and it does get down to #3 on Team Bs list, the player would more than likely sign with you as you gave him more love...and that's all these players want, they want to be loved.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Sounds reasonable. Hopefully it means a few guys slip through to Part 2 (as opposed to Round 2, which I always take to mean the second round of bidding on contested free agents that aren't lottery guys). Most teams don't have much room under their 80 player cap (or didn't prior to prospect releases, I haven't looked them over yet), so it'll hopefully cut down on the number of offers you guys have to administer. But it means I have to figure out how to trim my list for Part 1 down to 16 names.... Will I go for the big names, or will I use strategy to try and get second-tier guys for cheap because nobody else thought to bid? Intriguing...

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
FA UPDATE:

It turns out the prospect releases for the Penguins were previously missed and was just completed this morning. Because of this I've uploaded new Team Offer Form and 2010 RFA and UFA Final files to add the extra players.

There probably won't be any signings from these extra players so if you've started your offer file already that's fine. If however you do like someone the Penguins released you will need to download the updated Team Offer Form which includes these new players.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
FA UPDATE:

It turns out the prospect releases for the Penguins were previously missed and was just completed this morning. Because of this I've uploaded new Team Offer Form and 2010 RFA and UFA Final files to add the extra players.

There probably won't be any signings from these extra players so if you've started your offer file already that's fine. If however you do like someone the Penguins released you will need to download the updated Team Offer Form which includes these new players.

I still believe in Aki Berg's potential. Can I sign him?

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Sounds reasonable. Hopefully it means a few guys slip through to Part 2 (as opposed to Round 2, which I always take to mean the second round of bidding on contested free agents that aren't lottery guys). Most teams don't have much room under their 80 player cap (or didn't prior to prospect releases, I haven't looked them over yet), so it'll hopefully cut down on the number of offers you guys have to administer. But it means I have to figure out how to trim my list for Part 1 down to 16 names.... Will I go for the big names, or will I use strategy to try and get second-tier guys for cheap because nobody else thought to bid? Intriguing...

I'd like to clarify something here as it seems a few people (including myself) were assuming the 80 player roster limit would be a hard cap. That if you currently had 70 players you could only offer on up to 10 groups of players in FA.

Teams will be allowed to make offers to as many players as they want (within reason!!) regardless of where they stand to the 80 player limit. The reason for this is most of these extra offers will be for undrafted players that could go to lotteries and chances of signing them all are very slim. Each GM will need to keep a close eye on how much room they actually have though, and will face penalties if they end up above the 80 player mark. These penalties could be fines, loss of draft picks, removal of signed players etc.

So, make your offers but keep an eye on how many players you have please, don't put yourself in a spot to go way over that 80 player limit.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
FA UPDATE:

Just to confirm, us people involved in processing FA (Hasnain, Matt K and myself) have submitted our offers and it's now open for everyone else to start sending in theirs.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Jason Strudwick is listed as a UFA in the excel files, but on the website is listed as having 1 year x 450k with the Sabres. Just wanting to clarify his status to avoid problems during the signing process for any teams wishing to sign him.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Jason Strudwick is listed as a UFA in the excel files, but on the website is listed as having 1 year x 450k with the Sabres. Just wanting to clarify his status to avoid problems during the signing process for any teams wishing to sign him.

That's strange, as if anything he should have a $525,000 contract as that was apparently his last deal before leaving for Europe way back. I'll leave it to Matt K to confirm but he requested I should add him to the FA list so I'm thinking his 1 remaining year on the site is an error.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
FA UPDATE:

I'm up to 8 lists in already, good stuff.

Couple requests though...

For any undrafted college/euro players make sure you provide a link to a website that shows their age and confirms they have signed a NHL deal. A good site to use is http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/playerindex.cgi. If you fail to provide proof for these players your offers may be ignored.

Keep an eye on the length of contracts offered on players bound by the rookie salary cap. If you make offers that do not follow the correct formats they may also be ignored. The correct terms based on age are listed in the original post as well as below:

• 3 years if they are between the ages of 18-21
• 2 years if they sign at age 22 or 23,
• 1 year if they their first contract at age 24

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
FA UPDATE:

I'm up to 8 lists in already, good stuff.

Couple requests though...

For any undrafted college/euro players make sure you provide a link to a website that shows their age and confirms they have signed a NHL deal. A good site to use is http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/playerindex.cgi. If you fail to provide proof for these players your offers may be ignored.

Keep an eye on the length of contracts offered on players bound by the rookie salary cap. If you make offers that do not follow the correct formats they may also be ignored. The correct terms based on age are listed in the original post as well as below:

• 3 years if they are between the ages of 18-21
• 2 years if they sign at age 22 or 23,
• 1 year if they their first contract at age 24

If a college/euro UFA rookie is 25 or older does he have a restriction on term/salary?

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
That's strange, as if anything he should have a $525,000 contract as that was apparently his last deal before leaving for Europe way back. I'll leave it to Matt K to confirm but he requested I should add him to the FA list so I'm thinking his 1 remaining year on the site is an error.

When I created Strudwick the sim automatically assigned him the minimum salary. He is a UFA.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
LADIES: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE include a LINK to your offers for Undrafted Free Agent players who are not already in the HF registry.

IF YOU DO NOT PUT LINKS IN THE NOTES THEN YOUR OFFERS WILL NOT BE VALID.

The reason is that we've received lots of offers on players who ARE NOT valid signings because they've not signed NHL deals (in addition to the obvious mistakes of incorrect rookie contract lengths, misunderstandings of the rules re: contract maximums for rookies, players who are already drafted (including Marcel Muller (aka Marcel Mueller) who was drafted by the Avs in the 2010 draft)... The rules state clearly that a link must be provided.

If you've already submitted your file without the links you will have to re-submit with links. Almost every player that's signed has a link on forecaster.ca so there is no excuse.

Matthew & Jeff (he's not the one yelling though....)

PasiK

Jun 11, 2007
Paimio, Finland
couple small questions .. just to be 100% sure

max salary for players under 25 is 900k?

and

if european player plays in america junior leagues and is around 20-21 .. is he still european and not available in Free agency?

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
couple small questions .. just to be 100% sure

max salary for players under 25 is 900k?

and

if european player plays in america junior leagues and is around 20-21 .. is he still european and not available in Free agency?

Rookie max is $900,000 yes.

From the original post...

European born players fall under North American rules if they meet one of the following conditions:
(i) NHL drafted players - They played in a North American league in the season prior to being drafted into the NHL. Having played in NA after being drafted is irrelevant.
(ii) NHL un-drafted players - They played in a North American league in the year just prior to them turning 20. In all other cases the European FA rules apply.

So it depends on the draft status of the player you're talking about and where he played.

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
Dallas sent in a list but i just recentlu found out one of my choices was apparently picked despite not being able to find him. and Kreps went to europe it slipped my mind. im going to resubmit a new list soon if thats okay?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad