2010 Census data released (UPD 2013)

Nuclear SUV

Jun 1, 2008
Talking about minor league hockey, not NHL. those areas and markets wouldn't support a minor league team in Seattle.

If you are talking minor league hockey, you are right, Seattle doesn't need another franchise with 2 major jr. clubs and the the NHL most likely on its way.

Nuclear SUV

Jun 1, 2008
Sacramento to San Jose is 120 miles. Seattle to Vancouver is 141. What's the difference?

There are also pro-sports in Oakland, which is closer than San Jose is.

A big difference between Vancouver-Seattle and Sacramento-San Jose is that Seattle will likely draw fans from Canada who can't get Canucks tickets because they are sold out. Being near Canada is a big natural advantage for Seattle.

A big difference between Seattle and Sacramento is that Seattle is the hub city of its region while Sacramento is a short drive away from theirs.

A further difference is the business community. Seattle is a corporate center while Sacramento is a backwater.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Sacramento is close in proximity to Oak/SF, but they are entirely different areas. People from Sacramento don't view themselves as a suburb of the bay area. If we had a choice, we'd support a Sacramento team over Oakland. Raiders and A's would get much better fan support in Sacramento than they would in Oakland. The River cats are regularly the highest ticket-selling team in AAA. 49ers and Giants are obviously better where they're at.

A big difference between Vancouver-Seattle and Sacramento-San Jose is that Seattle will likely draw fans from Canada who can't get Canucks tickets because they are sold out. Being near Canada is a big natural advantage for Seattle.
Sacramento would get fan support from Stockton, Modesto, Fresno, and Reno, just to name a few places. A lot of people live around here.

A big difference between Seattle and Sacramento is that Seattle is the hub city of its region while Sacramento is a short drive away from theirs.
Because Northern California sports fans have to support bay area teams as "locals" doesn't make the bay area our home.

A further difference is the business community. Seattle is a corporate center while Sacramento is a backwater.
You're underselling Sacramento. Fortune 500 companies do exist here.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010

Seattle would probably get a Canadian boost for the original six, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and all visiting Canadian teams minus Ottawa. Looking at the scheduling breakdown I see about 18 home games that could be marquee events.

decma

Feb 6, 2013

I think Seattle is just too far from the border to make it realistic to expect many Canadian fans to go to games, especially weeknight games. Even from White Rock you are looking at 2 hrs under the best of conditions. Much more during traffic time or with heavy border traffic. For Vancouver itself, Burnaby, the North Shore, etc., even further.

Its not nearly as close as St Catherines, e.g., is to Buffalo.

Re the Bay Area, SJ doesn't draw many fans from Oak/SF, let alone Sacramento or other parts of the Central Valley. Just too far.

Nuclear SUV

Jun 1, 2008
I think Seattle is just too far from the border to make it realistic to expect many Canadian fans to go to games, especially weeknight games. Even from White Rock you are looking at 2 hrs under the best of conditions. Much more during traffic time or with heavy border traffic. For Vancouver itself, Burnaby, the North Shore, etc., even further.

I am familiar with the drive, have done it many times. Plenty of Canadian fans are able to make it to weekday Blue Jays games in Seattle. Don't expect many Canadian season ticket holders, but would expect thousands of Canadians taking in a game or two, if tickets are available. I used to attend Sonics games in Vancouver. I am sure the reverse will happen for hockey.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
Seattle would probably get a Canadian boost for the original six, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and all visiting Canadian teams minus Ottawa. Looking at the scheduling breakdown I see about 18 home games that could be marquee events.
amen, brother. ottawa is the new toronto, the town everybody loves to hate. :D

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Don't know why it wouldn't count. No it's not one of the big 4 (or 5) but they do get paid to play and they are professionals.
I shouldn't have said that. The River Cats count and are important to the area, but if and when the Kings move, they'll be the only show in town. Other sports would be smart to move here.

Nuclear SUV

Jun 1, 2008
I shouldn't have said that. The River Cats count and are important to the area, but if and when the Kings move, they'll be the only show in town. Other sports would be smart to move here.

Build the Al Davis Memorial Dome and steal the Raiders from Oakland. I bet they would draw better in Sac. than they do now in Oak.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
If the expected Kings sale goes through, Sacramento will be the biggest MSA without a pro sports team. Hockey would be smart to look into moving there (Echl, AHL).

They should call them the Sacramento Kings.

Would be good for a team to be there if there's no-one else there.

MartysBetterThanYou

Jan 15, 2013
New Jersey
Yeah, I don't exactly associate PA being part of DC-BAL & NYC.

Are there any towns in West Virginia that would feel like suburbs of DC?

Or Dallas bedroom communities in OK?

There is one PA county in the NYC CSA. Pike County in the Northeastern part of the state is isolated from both Scranton-Wilkes Barre and the Lehigh Valley. Its transportation links are oriented towards New York and it gets NYC TV stations.

For DC-Baltimore, I believe the one PA county is York County, which has in recent years become a Baltimore/Harrisburg exurb. I know many people originally from Baltimore who live in York County.

The entire West Virginia panhandle is a DC exurb. There is even a commuter rail line that gets all the way out there and takes people to work in DC every day.

SuperNintendoChalmrs

Jun 28, 2002
Buffalo
There is one PA county in the NYC CSA. Pike County in the Northeastern part of the state is isolated from both Scranton-Wilkes Barre and the Lehigh Valley. Its transportation links are oriented towards New York and it gets NYC TV stations.

For DC-Baltimore, I believe the one PA county is York County, which has in recent years become a Baltimore/Harrisburg exurb. I know many people originally from Baltimore who live in York County.

The entire West Virginia panhandle is a DC exurb. There is even a commuter rail line that gets all the way out there and takes people to work in DC every day.

Very true. :)

barneyg

Apr 22, 2007

That's no longer true, the NYC CSA has just added the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton MSA as well as East Stroudsburg, so there are now 5 PA counties in the NYC CSA.

And York County isn't part of the DC-Baltimore CSA, only Franklin County (Chambersburg) is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad