2010 Census data released (UPD 2013)

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
I always thought we were 5th (why the NBA doesn't want the Raptors to fail)
and what is East Central Ontario?

everything between toronto-hamilton and ottawa-gatineau.

I'm a couple of months late, but i've updated my post on page 1 with the new MSA/CSA data. A few cities have moved up or down one rank since the estimates, but from an NHL perspective no real changes.

i've also removed the thrashers, which means:

1) Georgia is the highest populated state without an NHL team.
2) Atlanta joins the discussion with Houston and Seattle as the best markets to expand/relocate to.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
reminder : Stats Canada is set to release population data from the Canadian 2011 Census on February 8th (next Wednesday)

barneyg

Apr 22, 2007
so....Durham Region, which is in the GTA?

old question, but no, Durham is in the Toronto-Hamilton DMA according to this map. I checked quickly with 2009 Statcan populations and it seems that "East Central Ontario" refers to the greyish and orange blocks of counties on the map above, i.e. Peterborough+Kingston+Belleville+Brockville. Cornwall+Hawkesbury are in the Ottawa area, Barrie is separate too.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
old question, but no, Durham is in the Toronto-Hamilton DMA according to this map. I checked quickly with 2009 Statcan populations and it seems that "East Central Ontario" refers to the greyish and orange blocks of counties on the map above, i.e. Peterborough+Kingston+Belleville+Brockville. Cornwall+Hawkesbury are in the Ottawa area, Barrie is separate too.
Durham is the GTA. The provincial govt designated it like that.

The Greater Toronto Area is Burlington to Newcastle ON.

The Toronto Census MA and Hamilton CMA and Oshawa CMA Are completely different. These CMAs are relics from the past. Hamilton ends at Burlington.

beenhereandthere

Jan 30, 2012
Evergray State
This US Census data is EXACTLY why I am against moving:

Phoenix
Atlanta
Florida

I am a demographer by trade, and I can tell you, when studying US Population trends, those markets are going to by 2050 be even more a part of the US economy.
This is where the people, the money, the importance has been headed since 1950 and each year it will become more and more of significance.

Yes, I know, they have not proven themselves as hockey towns, BUT the NHL is not junior hockey, it is hockey FOR profit, and the NHL CANNOT abandon these markets because this where the people and money are headed.

From a business standpoint, maybe short term moving to Winnipeg or Quebec looks nicer because they are true hockey towns, but long term, would you rather have a multi-national business, does it make sense to have one in Phoenix or Winnipeg?

50 years from now, when Phoenix is a bustling big market, the NHL will be happy they kept it there for the long haul.
This is not about hockey, it's about the future of profit ceilings.

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
This US Census data is EXACTLY why I am against moving:

Phoenix
Atlanta
Florida

I am a demographer by trade, and I can tell you, when studying US Population trends, those markets are going to by 2050 be even more a part of the US economy.
This is where the people, the money, the importance has been headed since 1950 and each year it will become more and more of significance.

Yes, I know, they have not proven themselves as hockey towns, BUT the NHL is not junior hockey, it is hockey FOR profit, and the NHL CANNOT abandon these markets because this where the people and money are headed.

From a business standpoint, maybe short term moving to Winnipeg or Quebec looks nicer because they are true hockey towns, but long term, would you rather have a multi-national business, does it make sense to have one in Phoenix or Winnipeg?

50 years from now, when Phoenix is a bustling big market, the NHL will be happy they kept it there for the long haul.
This is not about hockey, it's about the future of profit ceilings.

It's a no-brainer alright, but they've still got to figure out an acceptable financial reality for the here and now.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
2013 US Metro Area and Combined Statisical Areas

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/bulletins/2013/b13-01.pdf

Thanks to valentro@C-D

Largest Combined Statistical Areas and Uncombined Metropolitan Statistical Areas.

01. New York-Newark, NY-NJ-CT-PA Combined Statistical Area: 23,208,881
02. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA Combined Statistical Area: 18,081,569
03. Chicago-Naperville, IL-IN-WI Combined Statistical Area: 9,884,733
04. Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Area: 9,278,051
05. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA Combined Statistical Area: 8,259,674
06. Boston-Worcester-Providence, MA-RI-NH-CT Combined Statistical Area: 7,816,830
07. Philadelphia-Reading-Camden, PA-NJ-DE-MD Combined Statistical Area: 7,098,060
08. Dallas-Fort Worth, TX-OK Combined Statistical Area: 6,978,359
09. Houston-The Woodlands, TX Combined Statistical Area: 6,280,772
10. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Port St. Lucie, FL Combined Statistical Area: 6,276,370
11. Atlanta--Athens-Clarke County--Sandy Springs, GA Combined Statistical Area: 6,006,365
12. Detroit-Warren-Ann Arbor, MI Combined Statistical Area: 5,306,874
13. Seattle-Tacoma, WA Combined Statistical Area: 4,345,250
14. Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale, AZ Metropolitan Statistical Area: 4,263,236
15. Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN-WI Combined Statistical Area: 3,692,209
16. Cleveland-Akron-Canton, OH Combined Statistical Area: 3,515,733
17. Denver-Aurora-Boulder, CO Combined Statistical Area: 3,157,520
18. San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area: 3,140,069
19. Portland-Vancouver-Salem, OR-WA Combined Statistical Area: 2,963,998
20. St. Louis-St. Charles-Farmington, MO-IL Combined Statistical Area: 2,921,694
21. Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL Metropolitan Statistical Area: 2,824,724
22. Orlando-Deltona-Daytona Beach, FL Combined Statistical Area: 2,775,600

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
If the expected Kings sale goes through, Sacramento will be the biggest MSA without a pro sports team. Hockey would be smart to look into moving there (Echl, AHL).

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Sacramento over seattle or Quebec city?
Stockton has an ECHL team. Stockton. Hockey would be dumb to pass over Sacramento to go to an over-saturated market like Seattle.

And if you think I was referring to hockey, I wasn't. Sacramento would be the biggest MSA without ANY pro sport team (AAA baseball doesn't count).

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Stockton has an ECHL team. Stockton. Hockey would be dumb to pass over Sacramento to go to an over-saturated market like Seattle.

And if you think I was referring to hockey, I wasn't. Sacramento would be the biggest MSA without ANY pro sport team (AAA baseball doesn't count).

ECHL? sure perhaps but not NHL though not when there are better markets out there

BTW NHL has been wanting Seattle for several decades. I don't see any benefit for the league to pick sacramento.

Nuclear SUV

Jun 1, 2008

Seattle is under-saturated. It is #1 on the NHL's radar for sure. Sacramento is not too far from the Bay Area, so there are major pro sports in the vicinity.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Talking about minor league hockey, not NHL. those areas and markets wouldn't support a minor league team in Seattle.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Seattle is under-saturated. It is #1 on the NHL's radar for sure. Sacramento is not too far from the Bay Area, so there are major pro sports in the vicinity.
Sacramento to San Jose is 120 miles. Seattle to Vancouver is 141. What's the difference? Seattle will now likely have an NBA team, WNBA, WHL, MLB, and MLS teams. Sacramento has AAA baseball.

An owner would be stupid not to bring a hockey team to Sacramento. If SJ could get their team from Worcester to Sacramento, that would be a great move for fiscal and logistical reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->