2010-2011 didn't start so great.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Since it has become a cliche to complain about how awful we supposedly are. I opted to dig up our productivity over the initial ten game start from our most successful season in franchise history. Suffice it to say, most seemingly forgot we were less than impressive.

[table="head;width=1000]Player|G|A|P|notes
Daniel Sedin|7|5|13
Henrik Sedin|1|11|12|(first goal at the 10 game mark)
Ryan Kesler|4|1|5|(Did not have a multi-goal game until 15 games; 13 games for multi-points)
Mikael Samuelsson|1|6|7
Chris Higgins:|1|1|2|(Florida) 2-1-3 (Vancouver)
Jannik Hansen|0|2|2|(13 games before a goal; 25 before second goal; 2-5-7 in 25 games)
Raffi Torres|3|1|4|(Had a hattrick in game 11)
Alexander Edler|0|6|6|(13 games before a goal)
Alexandre Burrows|1|2|3|(Missed all of October due to injury)
Maxim Lapierre|1|1|2|(Montreal) 1-0-0 (Vancouver)
Christian Ehrhoff|2|4|6
Kevin Bieksa|0|0|0|(3 assists at the 11 game mark; no points again 21st game)
Dan Hamhuis|2|1|3
Mason Raymond|3|2|5[/table]

For reference sake, the Sedins current pace suggests in ten games they will score

Daniel: 3-8-11
Henrik: 1-12-13

Nearly identical to their 2010 start. The noteworthy difference being Daniel's goal scoring is less. Another fun little factoid. We scored 26 goals and 43 assists over that span. We are presently on pace to score 28 and 45 respectively. We are playing better now than we did in 2010, at least from a productivity perspective.

Nonetheless, the point remains. We got a lot better that season. So can we chill on how doomed this season is?

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Two years in a row they sat dormant until getting wrecked by Chicago in mid-November.

Mid.
November.

They played like **** for a month and a half.

They would go on to win the President's Trophy in both of those seasons.

The sky is falling, though.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
So what you're saying is that we'll make it to the cup finals and lose in 7 games again?
:sarcasm:

But yeah, people need to chill out. Didn't San Jose start out 7-0-0 last season or something? Some players take longer than others to get back to playing at the top of their game after the off-season. Also, injuries and suspensions don't help us.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Something something something SCORING something something KESLER something something something OUR ****ING DEFENCE something something REBUILD something something

Am I doing this right.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Something something something SCORING something something KESLER something something something OUR ****ING DEFENCE something something REBUILD something something

Am I doing this right.

Should have drafted Kop

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
hmmm...yea I guess a once in a few decade abysmal occurrence season for this team can be used as a very precise model for every season that follows.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Grumbler also likes to ignore the fact that we've always historically started slow and yet still managed to do pretty well in the reg season under Gillis' tenure.

Actually a lot of people here like to ignore facts like these.

But please don't let facts get in the way of your narrative.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
I think that to settle this once and for all someone needs to dig up some classic posts showing all the panic back 3 years ago.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
So what you're saying is that we'll make it to the cup finals and lose in 7 games again?
:sarcasm:

But yeah, people need to chill out. Didn't San Jose start out 7-0-0 last season or something? Some players take longer than others to get back to playing at the top of their game after the off-season. Also, injuries and suspensions don't help us.

They did, but it was Marleau instead of Hertl going on the crazy goal/game pace

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
Yeah way too early to panic. At least let a month or two pass by.

But I will say that the 2011 team was something special and you just knew that they had so much more to offer and the roster was too good not to pick it up. This time around we don't know what their ceiling is. The roster this year seems to be in the average to above average range. Not elite like it was back then. So they could just end up being an average team and this doesn't have to be a phase like you almost knew it was in 2011. That's the difference.

But expectations are lower as well. I don't know how many people actually expect this team to win the SC this year.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Yeah way too early to panic. At least let a month or two pass by.

But I will say that the 2011 team was something special and you just knew that they had so much more to offer and the roster was too good not to pick it up. This time around we don't know what their ceiling is. The roster this year seems to be in the average to above average range. Not elite like it was back then. So they could just end up being an average team and this doesn't have to be a phase like you almost knew it was in 2011. That's the difference.

But expectations are lower as well. I don't know how many people actually expect this team to win the SC this year.

No we didn't. We had Desbien and Tambellini on our 4th line. Our second line comprised of Samuelsson and Raymond. No one anticipated the breakout of Kesler that year in his offensive output. Definitely doesn't scream "Stanley Cup finalist" team.

Simply put, that team was greater than the sum of its parts. No one knew in October or even in November until we proceeded to steamroll the league in the months of January, Feburary and March (We had that one absurd stretch where Luongo hadn't lost a game in regulation for twenty something games).

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Good post. This is what I've been saying. What I am not saying is we are going to perform at 2010-11 levels though.

Seems like most of us are focusing on the negatives too early. The Kesler and Hamhuis threads having great traffic the past few days are just exhibits A and B.

But we all know we can safely extrapolate 6 games to 82 without any fault.

Alls I'm saying is I heard a whole lot about how Kesler was done through too many injuries in October 2010 as well.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
No we didn't. We had Desbien and Tambellini on our 4th line.

I'd argue our 4th line now is better than back then. And I believe Tambo was doing either 2nd or 3rd line duty when he was in the lineup for the most part (see: until around February). Our fourth line at the time was Schaefer-Bolduc-Glass. You can put Oreo is Schaef's spot for most of the season though.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
I'd argue our 4th line now is better than back then. And I believe Tambo was doing either 2nd or 3rd line duty when he was in the lineup for the most part (see: until around February). Our fourth line at the time was Schaefer-Bolduc-Glass. You can put Oreo is Schaef's spot for most of the season though.

I'd take a combination of Weise, Richardson and Santorelli (theoretical of course, with our injuries and suspensions) on our fourth line over Schaefer/Oreo-Bolduc-Glass any day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->