2010 1st round, has your opinion changed on some prospects after a year?

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by SuperSaiyanBeastmode, Jun 7, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. SuperSaiyanBeastmode

SuperSaiyanBeastmode Registered User

Bored, decided to share what I thought of all the 1st rounders last year and if something changed in me thinking they'll bust, be an nhler, be a star, etc.

Tell me if you think any of the 1st rounders this past year have made you think boy was I wrong(even if it has been just one year). Or if you think i'm completely wrong about what I was thinking last year and now:D

1. Taylor Hall: Thought he was a little overrated because of his skating ability, but I definately saw the game breaking potential in him this season.
    2. Tyler Seguin: Kind of a mystery, he came out of nowhere. But with some of the flashes this year I definately see 70+pts 1st line center in the future for him.
    3. Erik Gudbranson: Thought he would be a defense first guy with not much offense, but can easily see him putting up 40ish pts and being a mean SOB in the nhl now.
    4. Ryan Johansen: Thought he was a bit of a reach but supposedly had spezza potential, now I see him more of potential pwf with not as high offensive potential as spezza but still enough to be a #1C.
    5. Nino Niederreiter: Thought he was a bit of a reach too, but not too bad he was a character player. Now I think he's going to be a fringe 1st line 2-way winger.
    6. Brett Connolly: Thought he'd be st. louis' possible replacement, still think that, but it might be more likely because his hip is looking like it'll be good.
    7. Jeff Skinner: Thought he was a bit of a reach and a couple of years away especially with his skating "problem", now I think he has superstar potential.
    8. Alexander Burmistrov: Thought he was a skinny as all hell, dynamic but not the best russian, but the safest russian so why not? Now he is the possible heir to datsyuk... and is really good defensively, seriously how'd he make the Nhl this year?
    9. Mikael Granlund: Thought he had a high end hockey sense, but didn't have size and skating ability on his side, now I think he could possibly be the best finnish player on the wild within 2 seasons.
    10. Dylan Mcilrath: Thought he was a reach like every single person in the hockey world, but could be the toughest player in the nhl that wouldn't be a liabilty on the ice and possible be a #4 if everything worked out, think the same.
    11. Jack Campbell: Thought he would the next ryan miller, but has completely sucked this year... I give him one more year before I call him a bust.
    12. Cam Fowler: Thought he was soft as hell, couldn't defend, etc. Well I still think he's soft and isn't the best defender, but has dynamic skating ability and elite offensive instincts that will make him a star, especially with niedermayer teaching him how to play defense.
    13. Brandon Gormley: Thought he was a solid everywhere player but didn't stick out anywhere, now I think he has found where he sticks out; offensively. Imo a possible #1 Defenseman.
    14. Jaden Schwartz: Didn't really know much other than being a dynamic small player, now I think he's more likely to be a dynamic small player in the nhl.
    15. Derek Forbort: Thought he was a smooth skating 2-way dman with high end potential, now I basically think the same thing.
    16. Vladmir Tarasenko: Thought he was a tank on skates with solid potential, now I think he has star potential.
    17. Joey Hishon: Reach, injury prone, etc. Now I think he got picked a little low... high end potential.
    18. Austin Watson: Thought he was a glorified grinder who just got hot when he got traded, well I still think the same thing but could see him scoring 20 goals in the nhl, but will probably not be a legit top 6 forward though, but a heart and soul guy.
    19. Nick Bjugstad: Thought he was a high end potential guy, but could easily bust too. Now I think he can be Getzlaf-lite, but like before can still see him bust as easily.
    20. Beau Bennett: Absolutely no clue... I gotta admit he is the most mysterious player in the 1st round:laugh:
    21. Riley Sheahan: Thought he was gonna be a 2-way 3rd line center, now I think he could possibly be a 2nd line powerforward but a long term project if that happened.
    22. Jarred Tinordi: Didn't know much other than being a better skater than his father and being a defensive d-man, now I think his dad must of been a horrible skater but if he can fix his skating could possibly be a solid defensive d-man.
    23. Mark Pysyk: Thought he was a solid skating all around defenseman with a 2nd pairing defenseman potential, now I think he has the same potential but might be a little better offensively.
    24. Kevin Hayes: Thought he was a playmaking winger with higher potential than his brother and has to fill out, well I think the same thing now.
    25. Quinton Howden: Thought he'd be a 3rd line powerforward, I think the same thing now but possibly could be a 2nd liner.
    26. Evgeny Kuznetsov: Thought he was a meh russian with decent potential and thought the caps just wanted to draft a russian, now I think he has superstar potential but needs to work on his consistency and have a better attitude about NA.
    27. Mark Visentin: Reach, whatever goalie, who cares? Now I think he's the best goalie in the whole 2010 draft currently.
    28. Charlie Coyle: US player, who knows? I don't know... Now I think he has 2nd line powerforward potential.
    29. Emerson Etem: At the time I was clueless as to why he was dropping, but now I he realize he was basically just a real good skater with a good shot, could still be an nhler, but never deserved to be considered a dropper in the 1st place.
    30. Brock Nelson: Didn't know much about the HS player, still don't know much tbh.

thanks for reading, and sorry if I dissed your team's prospect;)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  2. Circulartheory

Circulartheory @danccchan

Home Page:
    Was never a fan of Campbell and never understood why people liked him so much.

With that said, you give him only 2 seasons before calling a young goaltender a bust? You need, at the very minimum, 5 years before giving him that label.

You can call him a disappointment or a bad pick relative to the rest of the prospects, but calling him a bust is WAY too premature.

3. Gagnefan924

Gagnefan924 Need Moar AmericanZ

Not bad. Johansen is more a 2 way center that can pass...think Joe Thornton. Imo, he's Joe Thornton-lite...which is a very good player.

4. Bubba88

Bubba88 Toews = Savior

too much time, but yeah some has changed.

Still can't belive that Kühnhackl wasn't drafted in the Top90

5. ponder

ponder Registered User

1) Taylor Hall - thought he could be a poor man's Ovechkin, still think so (mean that as a compliment)

2) Tyler Seguin - thought he could be a Marleau type of player (or if absolutely everything goes right, a Zetterberg), still think so

3) Erik Gudbranson - thought "solid dman, not a star but a good piece," still think so

4) Ryan Johansen - thought he was a bit of a reach and likely to be no more than a 2nd line C, changed my mind, very impressed by him and think he's a stud

5) Nino Niederreiter - thought he would be a rich man's Andrew Ladd, now I'm thinking more just Andrew Ladd period

6) Brett Connolly - questioned his motivation, personality and health, but felt he had Heatley upside. Health seems to be a non-issue, still see Heatley upside, still don't love his character

7) Jeff Skinner - thought he'd be good, but not this good, this fast. Definitely value him a lot more now than on draft day, seems like a better skater and smoother puck handler than he was in Kitchener, still has that great shot, wide stance and strong base obviously. Thought he might make an ASG or two in his prime, but definitely didn't think he'd make the ASG as an 18 year old!!!

8) Aleksandr Burmistrov - didn't know much about him, now cautiously optimistic, like his flashes of high end skill and his defensively responsible game, too early to say how he pans out

9) Mikael Granlund - didn't know what to make of him at all as I didn't pay much attention to him at the WJCs. Was very impressed by him at the WC, not sure how to project him, but he has high end offensive talent for sure

10) Dylan McIlrath - thought he was a massive reach, especially with Fowler and Gormley on the board. A bit higher on him now, he's definitely big and mean and should be an NHL dman, but I see him as more of a good bottom pairing dman with a shot at becoming a good 2nd pairing dman, not the

11) Jack Campbell - generally hate taking goalies this high unless they look like franchise talents, and even then I'm not a big fan. Didn't like the pick, still don't, goalie development is so unpredictable. Looked good at the WJCs, but put up pretty poor stats in the OHL. Not sure what to make of him, besides what I said about not liking goalies this high, unless they look like borderline locks to be real good starters like MAF or Carey Price

12) Cam Fowler - really liked his offensive game in general, especially his skating and poise with the puck. Thought his toughness/own zone play could be a bit of an issue. Still saw him as a steal, was thinking his upside was around Tomas Kaberle, now I think he'll be even better, Dan Boyle level

13) Brandon Gormley - thought he'd be a very well rounded, top pairing dman, a jack of all trades who plays a smart, skilled game, a guy that any team would love to have. Saw him as a steal. Still do, though I've cooled on him a touch, didn't have the greatest season

Other notables:

16) Vladimir Tarasenko - thought he was a steal, just seems like he'll translate so well to the NHL, very strong balance/base, good skater, great shot, a straight ahead bull with a fair but of skill too. If anything I'm higher on him than before after his great WJC, I'd rate him similar in terms of upside to forwards who went in the top 8 like Nino, Connolly and Burmistrov

17) Joey Hishon - thought he was a bit of a reach, lots of skill and heart but worried about his size and injuries, and wondered about his fit as a small C on a Colorado team that already had Duchene, Stastny and ROR. Now I'm very high on him, he was fantastic in Owen Sound, looks fully recovered from his injury and better than ever, and I could see him switching to the wing in a playmaking role, maturing into a sort of Patrick Kane type player in terms of style

For the most part it's too early to change my opinion much about most of these guys, but I've definitely changed my tune to certain degrees about some of them.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  6. Pajicz

Pajicz Registered User

Student
    I still can't believe that Pulkkinen wasn't drafted in the top 100.

7. Latex*

Latex* Guest

Seems like a shocker at the moment, but he was god awful last year.

8. Pajicz

Pajicz Registered User

Student
    Yeah, and also injured for a long time.

In my opinion, biggest risers after one year have been Skinner, Granlund and Kuznetsov, and biggest fallers Campbell and maybe Tinordi.