2009 prospects: Jared Cowen

Ace88*

Im not so sure that he's Burke's top priority, but i would not be disappointed if we get him.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Could the leafs be fortunate enough to grab Schenn then Cowen in back to back years?
Probably not but it sure would be nice.

Waaaa? Why would the leafs draft essentially the same player two years in a row? Schenn and Cowan are great prospects but... they might want to diversify a little bit perhaps.

johnny canuckistan

Nov 14, 2006
Cowan is Brian Burke's kind of player: big and mean, truculent and pugnacious. And although if he was healthy, JC would probably be a top 5 pick his injuries could cause some teams to shy away from selecting him.

Yes, there is a good chance that he gets drafted by the Leafs at 8th or 9th. He and Schenn would be a fantastic one-two punch on the blueline.

DDIHH

Oct 28, 2005
Is Cowen that good?

I felt that he was not as good as Schenn or Alzner at the same age. Am I wrong?

johnny canuckistan

Nov 14, 2006
Is Cowen that good?

I felt that he was not as good as Schenn or Alzner at the same age. Am I wrong?

He is considered to be very very good, if healthy. I'm not sure if he's better than the two you mentioned or not, but he was at one time (before the injury) projected to go as high as 3rd overall.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I know Cowen is being billed as a defensive defenseman, but for those who have seen him play, how much offensive acumen does he possess?

aqsw

PM
Dec 11, 2004
Winnipeg
I know Cowen is being billed as a defensive defenseman, but for those who have seen him play, how much offensive acumen does he possess?

I think he's got way more offence than Schenn. I think 55-65. points when he hits his prime. Only seen him live 4 times, but I was impressed!!

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
I think he's got way more offence than Schenn. I think 55-65. points when he hits his prime. Only seen him live 4 times, but I was impressed!!

Whoa.

55-65 is elite offensive defenceman territory, no?

Wouldn't that, when coupled with his defence, sort of make him Niklas Lidstrom? Why on earth would Hedman be rated higher?

I have a hard time believing that figure.

johnny canuckistan

Nov 14, 2006
Anyone got a scouting report on Cowen?

I would recommend going to the Leafs board, and finding a post by Mess. Then click on his name and look through his old posts. He lives in BC and goes to a lot of games, really knows his stuff.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
I would love to see Cowen and Schenn on the Leafs blueline.

I wouldn't (as a Sens fan).

I'd love Cowen in Ottawa colours assuming he fully recovers. He and Karlsson seem pretty much made for each-other.

Jiggs

Mar 1, 2003
Paradise
I would think that Cowen could top out at 40-45 points. Like Schenn, he has underrated offensive skills that should develop as he plays more in the NHL. Good first pass, can skate the puck past the first wave of forecheckers to start a breakout. Showed in the Prospects game that he's got good offensive instincts.

He relies on his superb positioning and huge wingspan to neutralize speedy wingers.Last year in the Mem Cup he was just flat out awesome -basically shutting down Kitchener's Boedker who had been amazing in the playoffs until then. As has been already mentioned, he uses his body well in front and is physical.

I was a big fan of Schenn in last year's draft and was disappointed when the Isles passed over him but after seeing Cowen last year and some this year I would take Cowen over Schenn. Just an all around better skill set and size with more upside IMO.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
whoever gets Cowen...boy oh boy hes gonna be a dandy in the future....the darkhorse pick for sure in the 1st round.

drofnats

Dec 13, 2008
Toronto
Waaaa? Why would the leafs draft essentially the same player two years in a row? Schenn and Cowan are great prospects but... they might want to diversify a little bit perhaps.

Yeah but can you imagine being able to have a shutdown defenseman like Schenn or Cowen on the ice for almost the entire game? :D

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
He was the general consensus #3 pick for a good chunk of the year, I doubt he drops as far as some are speculating, these surgerys have come a long way in the past 10 years.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Cowen was drafted into the WHL as an offensive defenseman. He came into his 16 year old season saying that he needed to improve his defensive game before his offensive game. He has an underrated shot and one of the best first passes in the WHL.

I don't know about 55-60 points in the NHL, but he could be a solid 50 point guy if you ask me.

His defensive game is impressive above all else though. He's amazing to watch - he will be stripped of the puck and the forward will think he's in the clear - only to see Cowen take it right back from them and turn it the other way.

Uses his reach excellently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad