2009 NHL Draft - strong draft?

crthomp

Apr 18, 2007
I know it will be a lot of speculation but I have heard that this draft has the potential to be one of the best in recent history. Is this true and who are the bigtime prospects?

Obviously I know about Tavares but who else makes this draft class stand out?

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
well, I can only answer for Sweden.. and at an early stage.. this draft year looks INSANE for Sweden. A lot can still happen and some of the prospects below will most likely fade away the next couple of years, while others will pop up.

The Swedish 90's and 91's have been described as the best age groups to come out of the country since the 73's (Peter Forsberg, Markus Näslund etc.). We'll see if they live up to the hype...

Plenty of players to chose from in Sweden

1. Victor Hedman, D (looks like an early top 2-5 pick, most talented Swedish defenseman in many, many years)

Anton Mylläri, B (big and strong defenseman, very complete)
Anton Lander, F (all-round two-way player, a standout among Swedish 91's)
Magnus Pääjärvi, F (speedy, technically skilled forward with good scoring mentality. one-dimensional, however)
William Wallén, F (smallish forward, scoring machine)
Jacob Josefsson, F (very allround two-way center, personal favourite, has all the tools)
Patrik Cehlin, F (among the top Swedish 91's, speed is terrific, so is offensive and technical skills)
Casper Carning, F (Big forward with good hockey sense and hands/release, slow skater though)
Henrik Björklund, F (pure sniper with good size and aggressiveness)
David Rundblad, D (interesting offensive minded defenseman)
Peter Andersson, D (see above)
Tim Erixon, D (skilled defenseman, son of former NHLer Jan Erixon)
Marcus Johansson, F (skiled two-way forward with good speed, physical game and hockey sense)
Niclas Burström, D (undersized defenseman with good mobility and two-way game)

...these are some of the most interesting players. There are actually more :)

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Great draft one of the best in recent memories (2003, 1998)

Its a great draft except for my own province :(

Command Hockey Quebec the atlanctic region are kicking your behind!!!!!!!!!

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada

i believe he's saying that the '09 draft looks to have a stronger group coming from the maritimes then Quebec.

Dont forget about the '08 draft though, i don't follow prospects closely until their draft year but if the '08s on team Canada at the U18s are any indication it should be a good draft also.

Stamkos, Doughty, Schenn, Boychuck, and to a lesser extent Arniel look to be excellent prospects.

crthomp

Apr 18, 2007
Anyone have a top 5-10 list of the prospects for 2009 that they think are the best from that draft class?

I also like the 2008 class that you mentioned, I hope Stamkos and Boychuk do very well.

Canadienjet

Dec 7, 2006
Steve Anthony will go top 10 if all works out for him in the q next season and the season after.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
well, I can only answer for Sweden.. and at an early stage.. this draft year looks INSANE for Sweden. A lot can still happen and some of the prospects below will most likely fade away the next couple of years, while others will pop up.

The Swedish 90's and 91's have been described as the best age groups to come out of the country since the 73's (Peter Forsberg, Markus Näslund etc.). We'll see if they live up to the hype...

Plenty of players to chose from in Sweden

1. Victor Hedman, D (looks like an early top 2-5 pick, most talented Swedish defenseman in many, many years)

Anton Mylläri, B (big and strong defenseman, very complete)
Anton Lander, F (all-round two-way player, a standout among Swedish 91's)
Magnus Pääjärvi, F (speedy, technically skilled forward with good scoring mentality. one-dimensional, however)
William Wallén, F (smallish forward, scoring machine)
Jacob Josefsson, F (very allround two-way center, personal favourite, has all the tools)
Patrik Cehlin, F (among the top Swedish 91's, speed is terrific, so is offensive and technical skills)
Casper Carning, F (Big forward with good hockey sense and hands/release, slow skater though)
Henrik Björklund, F (pure sniper with good size and aggressiveness)
David Rundblad, D (interesting offensive minded defenseman)
Peter Andersson, D (see above)
Tim Erixon, D (skilled defenseman, son of former NHLer Jan Erixon)
Marcus Johansson, F (skiled two-way forward with good speed, physical game and hockey sense)
Niclas Burström, D (undersized defenseman with good mobility and two-way game)

...these are some of the most interesting players. There are actually more :)

What about Jonathan Johansson? Calle Klingberg? Mattias Lindstrom?

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
I think Jordan Schroeder of the US Under-18 National Team has a good shot at being one of the big time prospects in the 2009 draft. He looks like he could turn out to be a Kessel/Kane type of offensive talent. He is currently tied for fifth overall in scoring at the IIHF U18 World Championship in Finland.

Last edited:

VanNistelrooy

Jun 15, 2005
Habs Land
Jordan Caron : He played as a late 16 year old in a bottom team : Rimouski. He's big and fast, has pretty good hand and does'nt dislike the rough play. He'll play in the NHL.

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
The maritimes are doing a much better job in developping hockey players than quebec! Is that hard to understand?

First of all I suggest you re-read your first post because it wasn't that clear (the comparison between Québec and Maritimes players). The ??? were aimed at your comment : - if you are to say that the 2009 draft is talent-laden like some of the best drafts in recent memories, could you please explain why/how/who ???

- If you are to say that the Maritimes are doing much better than Québec in developing youngsters, could you please explain why/how/who ???

I dislike it when people make such statement as draft 200X is much better than the 200Y when it comes to judging 16 y old guys and when they have probably seen no more than a handful of them play yet.

Please.

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
I think Jordan Schroeder of the US Under-18 National Team has a good shot at being one of the big time prospects in the 2009 draft. He looks like he could turn out to be a Kessel/Kane type of offensive talent. He is currently tied for fifth overall in scoring at the IIHF U18 World Championship in Finland.

his name ahs been popping up alot....hes a bit on the small side. any more info on him?

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
I hope the 08 draft gets more exposure as far as talent, guys like Doughty, Stamkos, Boychuk are impressive. It's easy to look at 09 with Travares, but if a team picks up a Stamkos or Doughty a year early, I don't think they'll be complaining :)

Faktisti*

2009 Drafts

i dont know is this kind of topic done yet but i wanted to start it.

so i have heard that 2009 draft will be very good, alot of potential

from canada it was tavares wasnt it?

and from europe alot of good names like pääjärvi, rajala and so and so..

canada must have the most first round pics but what whos gona take other places?

i think that toni rajala is going to own everybody!

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
Cam Fowler is, IMO, the best US born player. Sounds like '09 could be a defensive heavy 1st round by the list of players being thrown out so far.

Smyth94

Feb 18, 2004
Cold Lake
1. Tavares, John C 6.0 183 L 9/20/1990 Oshawa (OHL)
2. Cowan, Jared LD 6.05 190 L 1/25/1991 Sask. Contacts (SMHL)
3. Ferraro, Landon F 6.0 165 R 8/8/1991 Giants (BCMML)
4. Duchene, Matt C 5.11 168 L 1/1/1991 Central Ontario (ETAMn)
5. Werek, Ethan C 6.0 170 L 6/7/1991 T. Marlboro (GTHLM)

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
1. Tavares, John C 6.0 183 L 9/20/1990 Oshawa (OHL)
2. Cowan, Jared LD 6.05 190 L 1/25/1991 Sask. Contacts (SMHL)
3. Ferraro, Landon F 6.0 165 R 8/8/1991 Giants (BCMML)
4. Duchene, Matt C 5.11 168 L 1/1/1991 Central Ontario (ETAMn)
5. Werek, Ethan C 6.0 170 L 6/7/1991 T. Marlboro (GTHLM)

if that ends up as the final top 5 picks i will video tape myself eating my shoes:biglaugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->