Prospect Info: 2009 draftees

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I was looking through past draft and came across 2009 one, never realized how we did badly there:

Louis Leblanc
Joonas Nattinen
Mac Bennett
Alexander Avtsin
Gabriel Dumont
Dustin Walsh
Mike Cichy
Petteri Simila

In retrospect, I think it's even worse than 2008 as that one didnt produce any quality NHL player neither but we only had 5 picks with our first one at #56 (Kristo).

Out of these, do you still have hope for one of them to become anything good? I heard good things of Bennett but I must admit I have never seen him play. Is Nattinen gone for good?

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
I was looking through past draft and came across 2009 one, never realized how we did badly there:

Louis Leblanc
Joonas Nattinen
Mac Bennett
Alexander Avtsin
Gabriel Dumont
Dustin Walsh
Mike Cichy
Petteri Simila

In retrospect, I think it's even worse than 2008 as that one didnt produce any quality NHL player neither but we only had 5 picks with our first one at #56 (Kristo).

Out of these, do you still have hope for one of them to become anything good? I heard good things of Bennett but I must admit I have never seen him play. Is Nattinen gone for good?

Dumont might have a decent two way role... in another team.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
The lack of quality prospects draftees in 2008 and 2009 is part of (among many other reasons) what set the team back in 2011-2012 imo.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Awful draft. Reason why at one point...let,s not look too far at the reason why the Dogs sucked so much. That and the inability to understand that ahl vets were needed...

Bennett might have a chance......At one point though, he will need to show progression.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
None of those picks except Leblanc are in the first two rounds. That's one crappy draft too, very few quality NHLers outside of the top 40. Reilly Smith is pretty much the only guy drafted after Nattinen that is a top 6/top4/#1G player in the NHL. That's five rounds of nothing but non-NHLers and bottom 6/4 players.

What really hurts us is the amount of picks we traded in 2008/10/11 which ended up being strong drafts in the early rounds. Imagine John Carlson instead of Tom Gilbert in our top 4 right now.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Nattinen we own his NHL rights till June 2018. Bennett it's hard to guess how he will translate to the pro game but I like him a lot and can't wait to see how he does. He's got great mobility and plays a smart two way game, just worry about his lack of strength/physical game but he can move the puck as it's one of his best assets so we'll see how it goes for him this year.

Dumont might have a decent two way role... in another team.

I'd be surprised if he was a regular in the NHL.

The lack of quality prospects draftees in 2008 and 2009 is part of (among many other reasons) what set the team back in 2011-2012 imo.

too close of a timeframe for me to agree as imo you wait 10 years after the draft to see a fuller picture. Granted you might get something from a class in years 1,2,3, but if you look at in terms of CHLers, then most are going to get drafted, spend 2 more years in the CHL and then 2-3 years in the AHL.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
By hitting jackpot in '07 and missing badly in '06, '08 and '09, gives one the opinion Timmins takes a lot of gambles

It's mostly just statistical fluctuations.

Also, we had extra picks in 2007, but were missing picks in 2008 and 2009.

habitue*

How come Ryan O'Reilley was taken so far ? The kid made the Avs team at 18 on top of that.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Just look around the league, this draft was bad. So was 2008.

They handled Avtsin pretty badly.

The kid did have talent.

Yep, you could say the same thing about a lot of kids from 08/09.

Leblanc, Avtsin, Kristo all add talent of their own, but they didn't pan out because nobody developed them.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
2BAg9ls.png

Although I do personally like Mac Bennett.

Last edited:

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Watching Timmins trying to draft a 3rd line player in the first round is painful. He just loves those "rounded" players who are ok at everything and not great at anything.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Watching Timmins trying to draft a 3rd line player in the first round is painful. He just loves those "rounded" players who are ok at everything and not great at anything.

At the time Leblanc projected as a second line centre.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
How come Ryan O'Reilley was taken so far ? The kid made the Avs team at 18 on top of that.

I don't know, but he was ranked around where he was picked before the draft, even though he had just been captaining the gold medal winner team at the 2009 World U-18 Chamiponship, and looked really good doing so.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I saw Avtsin play in Hamilton (when they allowed him to play lol) and imo he was talented and was handled/developed as poorly as you could imagine.

There must be something that went on behind the scenes cause I don't understand why he didn't get more of a chance. When he played he looked good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad