2009 draft - one of the all time best?

Pyke*

The Sabres had quite a haul in 2009

Kassian - potential 20-40-60 power forward who is Milan Lucic, but can be better.

Brayden Mcnabb - potential first pairing TWD, most likely a second pairing D-man due to his skating

Marcus Foligno - potential third line player who puts up 35-40 points in a season, but a leader on the team.

3/6 picks for the Sabres is quite good.

I think you're overstating all three of your players.... though, I agree that Kassian and Foligno are great assets. I guess you didn't state the likelihood of any of that happening (except for McNabb), so maybe you're not overstating it as much as I think.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
I think you're overstating all three of your players.... though, I agree that Kassian and Foligno are great assets. I guess you didn't state the likelihood of any of that happening (except for McNabb), so maybe you're not overstating it as much as I think.

Those are the top line potentials for each player.

Had to pimp my prospects :naughty:

Its what their top ceiling is

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Pyke said:
Lehner was AHL MVP at 19 and Cowen had a great year in the WHL followed by a superb Calder Cup run in the AHL. Rundblad was prospect of the year on HF because he did something no defenseman in the SEL has done at his age - put up 50+ points.

I'm inclined to agree that 2009 has yet to prove themselves, but I'd rate all three of those players years over the ones you noted
Yes, its a great year so far for players within the Senator's organization ;)

You do see my point though that not many players have established themselves yet and we should withhold judgement until they start doing so?

Rundblad was fantastic in the SEL. But that was the SEL, the question now is whether it will translate. Drafts shouldn't be judged on how this or that prospect is doing someplace. They should be judged by NHL impact which is way to early to tell. 2008 at least has a plethora of solid NHL defenders, while 2006 produced a bunch of strong forwards like Giroux, Stewart and Backlund outside the very top of the draft. 2009 doesn't have that yet. On the other hand, it doesn't look like 2007, which at this point seems to be a bad year.
2009 was a strong draft in terms of potential elite level players and potential NHLers. Tavares, Duchenne, Hedman, Kane, Schenn, OEL, Kadri, MPS, Kulikov all have top line talent to a certain extent. Toss in Erixon, Rundblad, Ellis, Despress, Moore, Josefeson, Cowen, Kassian, CO Roussel, Orlov, Morin, Blacker, Lehner, Elliot, Tatar, Lander, Silfverberg who all progressed to the level that was expected or higher and you have a draft that could develop a lot NHL regulars. It may not be the level of the 2003 draft but it has a lot of potential.

Like I said, you can't really judge any of them until they start to get a full year of professional North American hockey in. Lots of guys look strong in the CHL or SEL but flop when they hit the North American pros. That's where the wheat start getting separated from the shaft. All these guys have talent and potential but you also have to count the possibilities of things going badly for them as much as it will go well. Potential is what a draft is supposed to have it this point

Spence334

Dec 23, 2008
Watch. 2008 will go down as the class that was better or is on par with 2003. I think it will be the former

ct2111

Mar 29, 2009
The Sabres had quite a haul in 2009

Kassian - potential 20-40-60 power forward who is Milan Lucic, but can be better.

Brayden Mcnabb - potential first pairing TWD, most likely a second pairing D-man due to his skating

Marcus Foligno - potential third line player who puts up 35-40 points in a season, but a leader on the team.

3/6 picks for the Sabres is quite good.

And the best part about all that is that it still can't hold a candle against the class of 2008 (Myers, Ennis, Adam, Crawford). :yo:

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I think 2010 and 2008 have been the strongest drafts since 2003 IMO

2010 is going to look really good. You already have Hall, Skinner, Fowler who all played well in big minutes as 18 year olds. Seguin and Burmistrov have already played full seasons as well.

I agree. 2010 could end up being one hell of a good draft. A lot of good players will emerge from rounds 2 through 4.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
2008 could go down as one of the great drafts in history in terms of defensemen, but who else besides Stamkos is going to be a star forward? Eberle, Stepan, Wilson and Ennis all moved pretty seamlessly into the NHL, but Filatov is an enigma and Bailey and Boedker were probably rushed too quickly to the NHL.

What a year for defenseman though, all of Doughty, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Myers, Carlson, and Del Zotto have shown they can be elite offensive defensemen. Demers, Sbisa, Bogosian, and Schenn have all played 100+ games in their career as well.

Pyke*

I agree. 2010 could end up being one hell of a good draft. A lot of good players will emerge from rounds 2 through 4.

I think 2010 will go down as one of the weakest drafts in recent years, but that's just a hunch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->