2009 Datsyuk or Current MacKinnon?

Dats or MacK?

• Total voters

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Old good player vs current good player: older player will almost always win. Same thing with current good player vs future good player.

HF hates active players that are actually good. It’s hilarious
On the contrary, I think HF loves its 25 and under players. The youngsters always get the votes

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Old good player vs current good player: older player will almost always win. Same thing with current good player vs future good player.

HF hates active players that are actually good. It’s hilarious

I mean datsyuk was flirting with 100 points while being the best Defensive forward in the league by a mile. His production wasn’t far off what Mack is giving who hasn’t even hit 100 points either.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I don't think Datsyuk was ever the first or second best player in the NHL, like MacKinnon is now.

So I vote MacKinnon.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Current Mak had a lot less to work with, not that his team sucks, he still had Makar, and Rant, but Rant missed nearly 20 games, Datsyuik had hall of famers, on that roster including 2 60 point dmans, another 50 point dman Hossa and another calibre of his type in Zetterberg.

Dat is currently leading the KHL, I would love to see him in the NHL again.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
This is a lot better than the Datsyuk vs Stamkos or Matthews polls.

Going with Datsyuk because their offensive production is comparable when you consider leaguewide scoring is much higher right now, and Datsyuk's defense gives him the edge.

But I can see MacKinnon peaking higher in the future.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Really close but leaning Datsyuk. 97 points and selke winner in a slightly lower scoring league. I'd say Datsyuk was the 4th best player in the league in 2009 behind Malkin/Ovechkin/Crosby. MacKinnon would be behind those three as well.

Reactions: User9992

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I just love the genius line of "He hasn't even scored 100 points yet". In his worst offensive year in the last three seasons, he had 99 in 82. He also had 97 in 74 and 93 in 69, but yeah, let's focus on the magic 100. Meanwhile, Datsyuk, who never scored a 100 gets a pass. Not to mention that Datsyuk never came close to scoring 40 goals.

Then we come to the quality of teammates, please tell me with a straight face that Nate's group is more impressive than the 09 Wings? Datsyuk featured on 33% of Detroit goals and scored 11% of them, Nate featured in 40% of Avs goals and scored 15% of them by himself. He also did it missing Mikko, Gabe, Kadri and Cale for good chunks of the season, while Datsyuk played with a 31 goal Zetterberg, 34 goal Franzen and 41 goal Hossa. And then Nate followed up with 25 in 15 in the playoffs while Datsyuk had 9 in 16.

Close offensively? Give me a freaking break.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Perhaps then you would agree that it is more fair to compare MacKinnon to Hossa as both of them scored 40.

Reactions: Gains

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I don't think Datsyuk was ever the first or second best player in the NHL, like MacKinnon is now.

So I vote MacKinnon.

Lol, he absolutely was from 07-09, and then for several years after that when he was healthy he basically played very close to the best.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Current Mak had a lot less to work with, not that his team sucks, he still had Makar, and Rant, but Rant missed nearly 20 games, Datsyuik had hall of famers, on that roster including 2 60 point dmans, another 50 point dman Hossa and another calibre of his type in Zetterberg.

Dat is currently leading the KHL, I would love to see him in the NHL again.

When Datsyuk was 36 he was 6th in the NHL in points per game while being the best defensive forward, and his regular linemates were Helm and Abdelkader. Lidstrom was retired by that point. In his two best seasons he finished 5th and 8th in points per game.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Really close but leaning Datsyuk. 97 points and selke winner in a slightly lower scoring league. I'd say Datsyuk was the 4th best player in the league in 2009 behind Malkin/Ovechkin/Crosby. MacKinnon would be behind those three as well.

If you actually watch games from back then it's not hard to tell he was on their level if not better. He was atleast better than Crosby or Malkin for those two seasons.

Reactions: BlueMed

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I just love the genius line of "He hasn't even scored 100 points yet". In his worst offensive year in the last three seasons, he had 99 in 82. He also had 97 in 74 and 93 in 69, but yeah, let's focus on the magic 100. Meanwhile, Datsyuk, who never scored a 100 gets a pass. Not to mention that Datsyuk never came close to scoring 40 goals.

Then we come to the quality of teammates, please tell me with a straight face that Nate's group is more impressive than the 09 Wings? Datsyuk featured on 33% of Detroit goals and scored 11% of them, Nate featured in 40% of Avs goals and scored 15% of them by himself. He also did it missing Mikko, Gabe, Kadri and Cale for good chunks of the season, while Datsyuk played with a 31 goal Zetterberg, 34 goal Franzen and 41 goal Hossa. And then Nate followed up with 25 in 15 in the playoffs while Datsyuk had 9 in 16.

Close offensively? Give me a freaking break.
You can't argue about one player having a worse supporting cast then the other, then immediately point to the percentage of points they were a part of (if a player has a stronger supporting cast they will have more players who can score points, reducing the percentage of goals they are a part of). If Mackinnon played on the 2009 Wings do you think he still features on 50% of their goals?

Also notice that he missed a fair share of games in the 2009 playoffs, and in the previous season he was above a PPG going all the way to the finals. I am interested to see if Mackinnon can get back to the same pace he played at in the last playoffs (the rate he was scoring at seems kind of ridiculous to expect to continue). Hard to judge the player based on a single insane season, where the previous seasons he was a little above a PPG in the playoffs.

Reactions: authentic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad