2008 Draftees

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I was looking in past drafts and I saw that none of the 2008 draftees were sign by Montreal.

Except for Kristo, is there still an NHL prospect out of this draft ?

Is there a chance Trunev and Kristo come to play in Hamilton next season ?

2 #56 Montréal Canadiens Danny Kristo (RW)
3 #86 Montréal Canadiens Steve Quailer (F)
4 #116 Montréal Canadiens Jason Missiaen (G) (Wasn't signed)
5 #138 Montréal Canadiens Maxim Trunev (RW)
7 #206 Montréal Canadiens Patrick Johnson (F)(Wasn't signed)

This draft looks like a bust to me...

Last edited:

neofury*

I, and a lot of people doubted that Emelin would come over..

As far as I understand it isn't Trunev not even close to NHL quality let alone AHL?

Sorry if I'm wrong, but I remember hearing he wasn't a difference maker in the slightest.

WestIslander

Feb 5, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
I thought Kristo would be a bust, but now I feel that he has a chance to be a top six forward with the potential to play with Desharnais and Eller in the future.

Aside from that, I often wish we kept the 1st round draft pick we had that year and drafted Tyler Ennis or John Carlson.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I was looking in past drafts and I saw that none of the 2008 draftees were sign by Montreal.

Except for Kristo, is there still an NHL prospect out of this draft ?

Is there a chance Trunev and Kristo come to play in Hamilton next season ?

2 #56 Montréal Canadiens Danny Kristo (RW)
3 #86 Montréal Canadiens Steve Quailer (F)
4 #116 Montréal Canadiens Jason Missiaen (G) (Wasn't signed)
5 #138 Montréal Canadiens Maxim Trunev (RW)
7 #206 Montréal Canadiens Patrick Johnson (F)

You can put not signed to Patrick Johnson as well, we no longer hold his rights. Too bad we didn't draft Anders Lee or Drew Leblanc instead of Johnson as both went undrafted that year (Lee and Leblanc are among the top scorers in the NCAA this year, wanted the Habs to take either one oh well)

Kristo should be in Hamilton next year, I thought he would be there this year so I'd be shocked if he went back to North Dakota next year.

Trunev I don't think he will ever come over, I did expect Emelin to come over although I was starting to have my doubts. Trunev's contract in Russia ends this season (unless he re-signs between now and the end of the season) and he is on pace for a career high so perhaps something could be worked out this summer, guess we'll see.

Quailer I could see him going back to Northeastern for his Senior year next season, unless he has a really big year.

Last edited:

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
44 players from round 2 have played at least 1 game!
average = 24.5 games
75% played less than 28 games

round (Num) Name, # games
2(51). Derek Stepan 89 games
2(53) Travis Hamonic 69 games
2(55) Marco Scandella 28 games
3(79) Zack Smith 80 games
3(85) Brandon McMillan 68 games
4(117) James Wright 49 games
5(127) Matt Calvert 47 games
5(148) Matt Martin 80 games
6(156) Jared Spurgeon 61 games
6(170) Jonas Holos 39 games
7(186) Jason Demers 131 games!!

here is the stats per round

round 2
# players 12 max 89
avg games 25.1 min 4

round 3
# players 5 max 80
avg games 36.6 min 5

round 4
# players 6 max 49
avg games 14.7 min 1.0

round 5
# players 9 max 80
avg games 21.4 min 1.0

round 6
# players 8 max 61
avg games 17.9 min 4.0

round 7
# players 4 max 131
avg games 42.5 min 7

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I have not given up on the draft. It may not be that great of a draft but not a bust by any means.

Kristo has 4G-7A in 6GP this year. Great start and could be a future second liner.

Quailer has a goal and an assist in three games so far. He may not be a scorer in the NHL but he is 6-4, 200 pounds. He may be a 4th liner in the future.

Trunev has 5 points in 15 games played. Last year he had 7 points in 39 games played. That is much better production this year. Who knows, he may want a crack at the NHL and come over.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Qualier is my favourite out of that draft year, IMO. He lost a step with his long-term injury and I haven't seen him play this year, so if he's rebounded back to old form, he's going to be good. Maybe better than Kristo.

Analyzer*

As far as I understand it isn't Trunev not even close to NHL quality let alone AHL?

Sorry if I'm wrong, but I remember hearing he wasn't a difference maker in the slightest.

Trunev plays in the KHL, which is better than the AHL, so I'm sure he's ready for the AHL.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Trunev plays in the KHL, which is better than the AHL, so I'm sure he's ready for the AHL.

It wouldn't be about him playing in a better league though, the concern would be how he would adjust to the smaller ice as he's smallish and lacks strength (unless he's bulked up from when I saw him last year) It would be interesting to see if he would come over though.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
It wouldn't be about him playing in a better league though, the concern would be how he would adjust to the smaller ice as he's smallish and lacks strength (unless he's bulked up from when I saw him last year) It would be interesting to see if he would come over though.

What I remember of him is he doesn't avoid the rough stuff,really fast skater and he's gained 13lbs since he was drafted.Trunev is 5'11 and 188 lbs. now two sources I forget which but out of three opinions that's what was derived.He's not physical but he's finally getting more icetime,its taken a lot of patience and hard work from an interview I read.:)He might be a pleasant surprise to play alongside Avtsin,he plays RW/LW,Louis Leblanc is playing RW also Kristo.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
If you look at the Bruins roster, most of their core was drafted within a year or two.

The Habs had a chance to do that in 2008 and 2009 after an incredible 2007 draft, but failed miserably..

Let's hope our 2012-2013 drafts supply us with a handful of effective NHLers, to add to our decent 2010 and 2011 drafts.

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
Looking at this thread and the one about the 2009 class, makes me wonder about TT. I know he has the most players in the NHLs drafted and the most games, but there have been entire classses that have missed and not one impact player since in the last 5 years drafted in the first 3 rounds (Gally to be the exception probably). He needs to hit more home runs and take on less projects (like last years first two picks pick).

hardcorehabs

Feb 9, 2013
Saskatchewan
I thought Kristo would be a bust, but now I feel that he has a chance to be a top six forward with the potential to play with Desharnais and Eller in the future.

Aside from that, I often wish we kept the 1st round draft pick we had that year and drafted Tyler Ennis.

So much wrong with this post.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Looking at this thread and the one about the 2009 class, makes me wonder about TT. I know he has the most players in the NHLs drafted and the most games, but there have been entire classses that have missed and not one impact player since in the last 5 years drafted in the first 3 rounds (Gally to be the exception probably). He needs to hit more home runs and take on less projects (like last years first two picks pick).

I think you should take a more objective look at that draft. Yes it would be considered a disappointment, but the team did not have a pick in the top 50...and it was not a strong or deep draft.

Of the 20 players drafted directly after Kristo, one or two would be considered NHL regulars.

Same deal with Quailer. The next skater drafted after Quailer that would be considered an NHL regular would be Dale Weise..a late 4th round pick.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
All teams can do this with Multiple drafts. If out of 10 years you have two bust drafts it isnt the end of the world.

KILLger

Mar 2, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Well, 2 years later. I assume this draft is a bust for us.

At least 2006, we have Ryan White.

And 2007 saw names like Subban, Pacioretty & McDonagh called... along with Y. Weber.

So 2005 was awesome, along with 2007, is it so bad skipping a year in between? 2004 was pretty solid aswell: Streit, Emelin, Grabovski and to a lesser extent : Chipchura.

Team drafting isn't much of a concern IMO.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Does this opinion change if Thomas ends up being a solid NHLer (hasn't convinced me yet, but long ways to go before judging him)? And overall, even if he doesn't and Kristo does, that just makes it a bad trade and a good draft, even if the others didn't pan out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad