2008 draft - 10 years later

MrSnrub

May 23, 2010
Some place far away
Some questions to think about regarding the 08 draft, ten years on. Now is the time when we can really talk about "winners and losers" of drafts, as opposed to the same day of the draft.

1. Best player from the draft?
a) forward?
b) defenseman?
c) goaltender?
d) overall?

2. Biggest bust from the draft?

3. Which players were you most excited about going into that draft, and which didn't really meet your own expectations?

4. Which players from that draft would you like to see win the Cup?

5. How'd your team do in the draft?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
For Toronto I remember everyone was excited when they traded up from 7th overall to 5th overall to select Luke Schenn who was considered among the big 4 of defenseman in that draft along with Drew Doughty, Alex Pietrangelo and Zach Bogosian. In the end Schenn didn't live up to all the hype because I remember Pierre McGuire refereed to him as the "Human Eraser" and was convinced their rebuild had started when the Leafs selected him. He only played 4 years in Toronto before the Leafs traded him for James van Riemsdyk at the 2011 draft.

Blackhawk93

May 2, 2018
Columbus couldn’t get out of their own way last decade. Nikita Filatov at 6 overall? What a disaster. They managed to snag Calvert and Atkinson in this draft so it doesn’t look nearly as bad, but there’s a reason why they were so bad for so long.

Special shoutout to the Blackhawks for managing to pick the guy with the least amount of talent in the draft, Kyle Beach.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
One of the most stacked drafts in recent memory. Lots of players who've won or contend for awards.

Man, 16 of the first rounders are still in the NHL. What a terrible first round.
That's how almost every draft works. ~10 years after the draft only a little over half the first rounders still being in the league (2003 being the exception with well over 20 players still playing). You have to look at the quality of the first rounders.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Columbus couldn’t get out of their own way last decade. Nikita Filatov at 6 overall? What a disaster. They managed to snag Calvert and Atkinson in this draft so it doesn’t look nearly as bad, but there’s a reason why they were so bad for so long.

Special shoutout to the Blackhawks for managing to pick the guy with the least amount of talent in the draft, Kyle Beach.

Lmao I remember the Canucks boards freaking out that we picked Hodgson over Beach

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
I remember Schenn being so overhyped cause Leafs had been trading away picks and having this mediocre veteran team for years, and it was like OMG! A prospect! like an oasis in the desert

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
EN2iMrh.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad