2007 Prospects

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
I know it's early but could you guys rank these 2007 prospects?
Karl Alzner
Mikael Backlund
Logan Couture
Keaton Ellerby
Angelo Esposito
Sam Gagner
Colton Gillies
Alex Grant
Zach Hamill
Thomas Hickey
Pat Kane
Mark Katic
Ryan Kerr
Justin Leclerc
Tristian Llewellyn
Oscar Moller
James O'Brien
Jeff Parkes
Nick Petrecki
Michal Repik
Tyson Sexsmith
Brandon Sutter
Zack Torquato
James Van Riemsdyk
Jakub Voracek
Angelo Esposito

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Well the guys at the top right now are probably Angelo, Backlund, Katic, Petrecki, Voracek, Couture, Gillies (i've heard very mixed reports about this guy so far) and im probably missing quite a few.

Van Riemsdyk sounds like he will be a big riser this year according to quite alot of people.

Don't know to much, theres seems to be alot more names thrown around this year than there was this time last year.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Among WHLers on that list, in a general but not exact order:

Brandon Sutter
Colton Gillies
Thomas Hickey
Zach Hamill
Michal Repik
Karl Alzner
Justin Leclerc
Keaton Ellerby
Tyson Sexsmith

I removed Kerr and players from other leagues because I'm not comfortable ranking them. And again, this is only a general order, not exact. It's too early (for me at least) to even attempt to put together a real list without a lot of guessing. There are also a few other WHL players I'd slot in there in various spots, including Bowman, Mucha, Plante and Blum off the top of my head.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Any physical defensemen?
Ellerby, Plante and Alzner are all physical. They all need to grow into their size (especially Ellerby), but they all have shown that they can hit and are willing to mix it up a little (especially Ellerby again).

Big Daddy

Dec 16, 2005
Nick Petrecki and offensive defenseman? Wow, has anyone seen this guy:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=94004

From the WHL:

Jonathan Blum: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=90120

Thomas Hickey: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=84695

Nick Ross: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid[]=81103

All three from a higher tier league and true offensive defenseman.

I don't understand the hype about Petrecki other than he is a good sized, mobile, hard hitting dman. Offensive, point scoring dman he is not.

Old Hickory

How is the overall draft looking?

Are they saying it is stronger or weaker than 2006?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Nick Petrecki and offensive defenseman? Wow, has anyone seen this guy:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=94004

I don't understand the hype about Petrecki other than he is a good sized, mobile, hard hitting dman. Offensive, point scoring dman he is not.

I guess you "don't understand the hype", than you haven't seen him. He has great offensive instincts.

He was just a very young player on his team and his coach went with the older, more established players last year to take control and he wasn't given as many minutes as the other guys.

He has a great shot and some awesome passing skills.

He also is a great skater with solid mobility and is a brick wall.

The kid is a great all-around d-man.

Big Daddy

Dec 16, 2005
I guess you "don't understand the hype", than you haven't seen him. He has great offensive instincts.

He was just a very young player on his team and his coach went with the older, more established players last year to take control and he wasn't given as many minutes as the other guys.

He has a great shot and some awesome passing skills.

He also is a great skater with solid mobility and is a brick wall.

The kid is a great all-around d-man.

Jon, production, production, production. And he hasn't had it yet. All three kids I mentioned are all 16 year old rookies and had to beat older kids for spots and ice time. The original replies were that he was an offensive dman and based on his first year in juniors he has not proven anything in that regard.

I do agree with your assessment on the other points.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Jon, production, production, production. And he hasn't had it yet. All three kids I mentioned are all 16 year old rookies and had to beat older kids for spots and ice time. The original replies were that he was an offensive dman and based on his first year in juniors he has not proven anything in that regard.

I do agree with your assessment on the other points.

No offense, but you're asking for production from a kid who was absolutely BURRIED on his team last year. And I mean he had litterally NO opportunity to get decent ice time. It's a bit different than most circumstances.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
No offense, but you're asking for production from a kid who was absolutely BURRIED on his team last year. And I mean he had litterally NO opportunity to get decent ice time. It's a bit different than most circumstances.
I have never seen Petrecki play, ever, so I can't comment with authority, but it is without question at the very least mildly alarming that he was used so sparingly. I find it remarkably hard to believe that any of Hickey, Ross, Blum, Schenn, Negrin, Plante, etc would not have played their way into a role on any USHL team in the same situation last year. Blum for example played on a team that had the best group of defensemen in the CHL last season, and still found a way to get himself a regular shift and a spot on the 2nd pp unit. Maybe Petrecki is a high potential player, but he definitely has a long way to go if he can't earn a regular shift in the USHL at 16.

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004

Let's compare Petrecki's situation with Blum's. You say Petrecki was absolutely buried and had no opportunity to get decent ice time. I'd say Blum had far better players in front of him in the depth chart but still managed to produce. I don't know you but I'd take Fistric (1st Rd - Dallas), Franson (3rd Rd - Nashville), Mikkelson (2nd Rd - Anaheim), Albers (signed with Minnesota), Festerling (signed with Anaheim) and Flatters (6th Rd - Philadelphia) over Schaus, Marto, Toy, Hepp and Kretes any day.

Last edited:

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Let's compare Petrecki's situation with Blum's. You say Petrecki was absolutely buried and had no opportunity to get decent ice time. I'd say Blum had far better players in front of him in the depth chart but still managed to produce. I don't know you but I'd take Fistric (1st Rd - Dallas), Franson (3rd Rd - Nashville), Mikkelson (2nd Rd - Anaheim), Albers (signed with Minnesota), Festerling (signed with Anaheim) and Flatters (6th Rd - Philadelphia) over Schaus, Marto, Toy, Hepp and Kretes any day.

Petrecki has the mobility, puckhandling and shot to be a good offensive dman.....but he has not put it together and you are right, if he can't do it at the USHL level, chances are he will not do it period.

He is a very good Defensive Dman though and that will be his claim to fame.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Petrecki has the mobility, puckhandling and shot to be a good offensive dman.....but he has not put it together and you are right, if he can't do it at the USHL level, chances are he will not do it period.

He is a very good Defensive Dman though and that will be his claim to fame.

I think it's a bit premature to write off Petrecki's offensive ability....

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I think it's a bit premature to write off Petrecki's offensive ability....

I certainly do as well. Since he got little to zero powerplay time and not much regular season time during games even, he certainly has time to grow. This season, though, if he doesn't improve it will be time to worry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad