2007 prospects: Patrick Kane

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
Nice article. Kane has had just about as good a draft year as one could and playing in the OHL has turned out to be a great decision for him. I only had the chance to see him once but reading this article ( hockey sense and quickness ) kinda reminds me of Doug Gilmour minus the physical edge.

Any idea out there as to what NHLer he resembles?

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
he should definitely stay in the o for another season and pickup more hardware.

ideally id like to see him at 180-190.

nevertheless,

great article!

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
he should definitely stay in the o for another season and pickup more hardware.

ideally id like to see him at 180-190.

nevertheless,

great article!

Just throwing a thought out there, but... I wonder if Kane isn't a perfect example of the argument for perhaps allowing each team to assign 1 junior aged player to the minors. Because I'm not sure that playing another season in the OHL will be all that great for his development, particularly if Hunter is still coaching. Well, obviously there are benefits to playing under Hunter too. But if he continued to play 30 minutes a night, get 2 minute shifts, have nothing but green lights on offense... I wonder if that would really help him round out his game or have the stamina left to add some of the strength that he'll ultimately need. Sure, he might put up 200 points or something crazy like that too, but it might ultimately delay his arrival a little bit.

Or not - like I said, it's just a thought thrown out there. But it seems to me like he's really too good for the level he's playing at now, and you'd really like to see him face something more challenging, ideally. :dunno:

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
Just throwing a thought out there, but... I wonder if Kane isn't a perfect example of the argument for perhaps allowing each team to assign 1 junior aged player to the minors. Because I'm not sure that playing another season in the OHL will be all that great for his development, particularly if Hunter is still coaching. Well, obviously there are benefits to playing under Hunter too. But if he continued to play 30 minutes a night, get 2 minute shifts, have nothing but green lights on offense... I wonder if that would really help him round out his game or have the stamina left to add some of the strength that he'll ultimately need. Sure, he might put up 200 points or something crazy like that too, but it might ultimately delay his arrival a little bit.

Or not - like I said, it's just a thought thrown out there. But it seems to me like he's really too good for the level he's playing at now, and you'd really like to see him face something more challenging, ideally. :dunno:

good point- maybe destroying the O can make his head too big ala schremp?- who IMO will never amount to much of an NHLer.

player attitude is so important to their development...and part of me sees kane as a little cocky. not sure why.

we can only wait and see. im biased because i went to school in buffalo- and its rare that a yankee with skills is as highly touted. so i hope for the best. :D

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
why cant you play in the ahl until you are 20? it would be perfect for Brule and Kane to be in the ahl as 19 year olds. Kane will have no challenge and Brule is out of his element...

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
i think its better to let them dominate another year in junior and get their confidence up. a lot of their moves and skills wont translate even to the ahl level, they need the confidence to fight thru that when they get there. another year of experience can only help the offense, and learning d at 20 isnt too late. you want the best player possible, its tough to be patient but thats what it takes. schremp wasnt hurt by dominating there too long, he is hurt by his unwillingness to play a smart all around game. learning that a year earlier mighve gotten him to the pros a year earlier, but its the offensive skills that will make him a great player (if he becomes one) - those would only be stymied in the ahl....better to get the confidence up as high as possible before breaking it down - so there is more still there when youre done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->