2007 Prospects: Max Pacioretty

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I would not mind the Rangers taking him with their 17th if he is there and guys like Eller and a few others are gone.

Again, another kid who grew up a Rangers fan who plays a nasty game and can be a powerforward at the NHL level if he develops right.

Hugh Jessiman part II, but I hopefully he doesn't miss a full year like Hugh did. He also has much better hockey sense.

Ryan

Aug 26, 2006
How about his skating?

Max is a pretty good skater. He has great acceleration and is very quick for a guy his size.

I had the chance to watch him play this past season in the USHL and I had fun watching him and hope I am able to watch him one day in the NHL.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Hugh Jessiman part II, but I hopefully he doesn't miss a full year like Hugh did. He also has much better hockey sense.

I wouldn't mind the Rangers taking him either. Initially I was opposed because of the Jessiman flashbacks, but what quells that fear is that Pacoretty is going to Michigan, not DARTMOUTH (not a good school/program for developing prospects...Doh)

No offense to any Big Green fans, but seriously

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I would not mind the Rangers taking him with their 17th if he is there and guys like Eller and a few others are gone.

Again, another kid who grew up a Rangers fan who plays a nasty game and can be a powerforward at the NHL level if he develops right.

I'm not reading of any "hockey sense" issues with Pacioretty. It also doesn't appear to be as big a gap in Pacioretty's boom-or-bust probabilty. When Jessiman was draft eligible, we were hearing the names LeClair and Bertuzzi, whereas Pacioretty is being compared to Erik Cole. I'd love him to be on the board at 17, along with Eller, Backlund, Petrecki and/or McDonagh. And, I'm warming to the idea of Bill Sweatt as the selection at 17.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Any concerns he just scored 20-some goals in the USHL? I noticed Colby Cohen (a d-man) averaged more ppg than Pacioretty did in the same league, and it had me thinking his upside might not be quite as high as the likes of Cole (at least as a power forward goal scorer). Any thoughts on this from someone who has seen him play? Players like Moller and Tyrell scored more goals in the WHL than Paciroretty did in the USHL - and they play with a pretty gritty style themselves in a much grittier league. The numbers don't tell the whole story of course and Tyrell and Moller have smaller frames, but it something to think about.

Ryan

Aug 26, 2006
Pacioretty has a quality shot, but he can be a bit unselfish at times. Led the USHL in SOG, so he's not afraid to shoot the puck. May have averaged less PPG than Cohen because he was covering his own zone. Overall, the USHL is very defensive, so it's harder for the big guns to score a ton of goals.

chf940

Jun 14, 2007
had to opportunity to watch him play in the ushl, faught cohen.. and won

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad