2007 NHL All Rookie Team ???

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
There is no possible way that Staal belongs on the list over Kopitar. This year, Kopitar has been a major impact player on the Kings, who've had little else to smile about, all things considered. Stastny too has played a huge role in the Avs' success.

It's tough to leave such a great prospect like Staal off the list, but this year's simply had an amazing crop of rookie forwards.

I agree with you that Kopitar is a great player, but sometimes outside factors can be at play. I look at the Kings year and the Canes year, and you talk about Kopitar being a major impact player, but what has he majorly impacted besides having a horrible record?

Staal on the other hand, is on a playoff bound team. How much of that has Staal had to do with that? I think some, the Canes are deeper, there is no question, but I also look at on a deeper team then the Kings, Staal still gets his ice-time over many talented vets, and still is putting up huge numbers. That alone puts his accomplishments on par to even higher then those of Kopitar who many nights has been a one man show there.

Who does Kopitar have to compete with for ice time????

I am not saying that going to the playoffs should impact a decision for an mvp, cy young, rookie of the year, etc.. I am saying that sometimes people look at those things as well as to what impact they have on their team, and how good that team is.

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
I agree with you that Kopitar is a great player, but sometimes outside factors can be at play. I look at the Kings year and the Canes year, and you talk about Kopitar being a major impact player, but what has he majorly impacted besides having a horrible record?

Staal on the other hand, is on a playoff bound team. How much of that has Staal had to do with that? I think some, the Canes are deeper, there is no question, but I also look at on a deeper team then the Kings, Staal still gets his ice-time over many talented vets, and still is putting up huge numbers. That alone puts his accomplishments on par to even higher then those of Kopitar who many nights has been a one man show there.

I am not saying that going to the playoffs should impact a decision for an mvp, cy young, rookie of the year, etc.. I am saying that sometimes people look at those things as well as to what impact they have on their team, and how good that team is.

Mate, wrong Staal...

LeafsrGods*

For my list, it would look like this:

F Kopitar
F Stastny
F Malkin
D Ian White
D Carle
G (any rookie goalie..lol)

Spetzky

Jul 31, 2004
Edmonton

I'm just reading that and thinking... what the hell is going on here... like the Kopitar impact... The wrong Staal... Talented Vets... i'm thinking what the hell is going on here.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'm just reading that and thinking... what the hell is going on here... like the Kopitar impact... The wrong Staal... Talented Vets... i'm thinking what the hell is going on here.

HAHAHAHAHA, I have been up all day with my new son, I must be a moron!!!!! What the hell am I smoking.

I agree that Kopitar is much better then the Penguins Staal. For some stupid reason I thought Eric was still a rookie!! I always had problems with the Sutters, looks like I can relive those nightmares now!! Sorry all, I will go take my medication now.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Jordan Staal is leading the ENTIRE NHL in shorthanded goals, yet he's not "good enough" to be on the all-rookie team? IMO, Stastny or Kopitar don't belong on the list over him. Being a top-flight rookie doesn't only mean offensive play, there are other intangibles to being an NHL player. Kopitar is a great young player, don't get me wrong, but I'd much rather have Jordan Staal on my team at this stage of his career. If you don't take off Kopitar, take off Paul Stastny, either that or pull the goalie and give me an extra skater.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Jordan Staal is leading the ENTIRE NHL in shorthanded goals, yet he's not "good enough" to be on the all-rookie team? IMO, Stastny or Kopitar don't belong on the list over him. Being a top-flight rookie doesn't only mean offensive play, there are other intangibles to being an NHL player. Kopitar is a great young player, don't get me wrong, but I'd much rather have Jordan Staal on my team at this stage of his career. If you don't take off Kopitar, take off Paul Stastny, either that or pull the goalie and give me an extra skater.

Stastny, Staal, and Kopitar all average between 2-3 minutes of PK time per game. Yeah Staal scores shorthanded goals, but Pittsburgh's PK still isn't really that great. I agree its not all offense, but Stastny has 30 more points than Staals 39, and Kopitar has as many assists as Staal has total points, having played 8 fewer games. Yes Staal hitting 30 goals will be impressive, but lets also not forget he only has 10 assists.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004

Obviously you havent watched enough of Kopitar or Stastny then. Both guys are very solid in all 3 zones. Both have made the players around them better. Stastny has helped Hedjuk rebound and becme a goal scorer again. Kopitar has made what ever play thats been on his wing a better player. The intangibles that Stastny and Kopitar bring are on the same level as Staal's and the produce more offensively.

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
To fit Staal on there you'd have to drop one of the others. Which of Stastny, Malkin or Kopitar is he better than? (hint: the answer is 'none of them, he's not in the same class')

GernerPSU

Jun 4, 2006
State College
To fit Staal on there you'd have to drop one of the others. Which of Stastny, Malkin or Kopitar is he better than? (hint: the answer is 'none of them, he's not in the same class')
I wouldn't say hes not in the same class as the three. IMO Malkin is in a class above the rest and Staal is on par with the other two. He just hasn't had a ton of oppurtunity until recently so his production doesn't match his potential. That would be the reason I wouldn't put him on the team. As nice as it is to say that Staal "could" produce if given the oppurtunity, he simply hasn't been given that chance and the others have proven they actually can.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The worst is Iggins is true...
If Habs makes the playoffs, Halak is likely to finish the year with more W's than Smith...

DoctorDoak

Mar 21, 2006
Ontario
To finish my thoughts on Staal and echo some others' thoughts in this thread, at this stage in his career, he's played a rather more complementary role on a team bound for the playoffs than any of the other guys on the list. You can cite Staal's shorthanded goals, and I can cite Stastny's scoring streak - I don't think that's a particularly compelling argument. Kopitar is evidently more difficult to quantify by those standards - he has no statistical anomaly in his favour. I admit that it's difficult to trace the impact Staal's had (not insignificant, by any means), but I also think the Pens have a bunch of guys - Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Whitney, Recchi, Gonchar - who've been difference makers for them. Kopitar's playing on a team that's had goaltending at or near the lowest echelon of the league, and with a much more suspect defence, IMO. Frolov, Cammalleri and Visnovsky are nice players, but outside of them and Kopitar you get a pretty big drop-off - Derek Armstrong is 5th on the team in scoring, and that says a lot about the Kings' year, IMO.

teal

Aug 8, 2006

i think the whole jordan staal shorthanded goal thing is a tiny bit overrated. yea, he's a great player, and especially for his age, etc etc, but a. where are the assists? b. if mike grier could actually finish, he'd probably have as many or more shorthanded goals than staal. being a one-on-goalie player doesn't make a complete player.

and, i'd take vlasic over carle.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Staal would be in the 2nd all rookie team line easily, and if anyone says otherwise they have never seen Staal. I like Staal and all but yeah the Kings, and Avalanche player are better then Staal. Not defensivly, as Staal is a miracle worker on that PK and if we had 5 Jordan Staal's we would never allow a PP goal and the reach of the kid with the long stick is nice.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
What about Jordan Staal? I think he deserves a little more respect than alot of people give him, 29 goals and a + player. If Rick Nash was a ROY candidate, Jordan Staal should definately have some consideration.

Rick Nash had little competition. This years crop of kids has as much overall quality as there has been in recent years. Staal included.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Honestly, I don't think the choice is very hard for the whole team, and too bad for Staal.

The only thing that can change, is Halak will probably get in instead of Smith, should the Habs make the playoffs. Not much about the playoffs themselves, but he's highly likely to have better stats than Smith, should they make it.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
i think the whole jordan staal shorthanded goal thing is a tiny bit overrated. yea, he's a great player, and especially for his age, etc etc, but a. where are the assists? b. if mike grier could actually finish, he'd probably have as many or more shorthanded goals than staal. being a one-on-goalie player doesn't make a complete player.

and, i'd take vlasic over carle.

You realize that Staal has set a new rookie record all time for short handed goals in a season with 7 right? hes the youngest player in the nhl right now and only 18 years old. Lets not ever bring up the words mike grier while discussing him again ok. thanks.

Also I agree, Vlasic way above Carle.

teal

Aug 8, 2006
You realize that Staal has set a new rookie record all time for short handed goals in a season with 7 right? hes the youngest player in the nhl right now and only 18 years old. Lets not ever bring up the words mike grier while discussing him again ok. thanks.

Also I agree, Vlasic way above Carle.

your argument for him continues to be his one-on-goalie abilities. obviously i realize what he's accomplished. but didn't he himself say he has to get more used to the pace of the nhl game to contribute more effectively?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I wouldn't say hes not in the same class as the three. IMO Malkin is in a class above the rest and Staal is on par with the other two. He just hasn't had a ton of oppurtunity until recently so his production doesn't match his potential. That would be the reason I wouldn't put him on the team. As nice as it is to say that Staal "could" produce if given the oppurtunity, he simply hasn't been given that chance and the others have proven they actually can.

Sums everything up quite nicely. I'd have to leave Staal off of the 1st team for the same reason.

I have no doubts that he'll prove himself more than equal to Stastny and Kopitar starting as early as next year, however.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
guys like Smid will never get any recognition because they don't put up points but he has been stellar this year. With all the injuries to our team (especially defense), he had had to play a lot of very tough minutes. You usually shelter rookie dmen but Mact has had no choice but to throw him into the fire.

He is 2nd amongst rookie dmen is TOI, TOI/game, ES TOI and 3rd and SH TOI. He is going to be a very solid dman for years to come. He may eventually put up some points but that isn't necessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad