2007 Memorial Cup All Star Team and awards predictions

crthomp

Apr 18, 2007
I know it's a little early with the semi final and the final still left to play, but does anyone have any predictions as to what they think the All star team will look like after the memorial cup is over?

Forward 1:
Forward 2:
Forward 3:
Defensemen 1:
Defensemen 2:
Goalie:

I think James Neal of plymouth is a lock to be one of the forwards, but everything else is up in the air. Does Tom Sestito deserve a spot because of his point totals? If Ennis of Medicine Hat has a good game on Sunday does he deserve a spot? Anyone from Vancouver jump out at anyone? Lucic? Repik? Would Perron get consideration? I highly doubt he would though.

For defensemen I am also not sure, has Kris Russell earned a spot with his play thus far or does he have to impress in the final to earn a spot? Franson from Vancouver? Blum maybe? Anyone from Plymouth on D?

And for goalie does Bernier deserve this spot? The way the commentator was talking about him last night he definitely should, but it's still up for debate I guess.

What about the other awards Tourney MVP? Most Sportsmanlike? Top Scorer? Best Goalie?

Any thoughts and predictions?

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
the 2 biggest games which will decide almost all if not all of these spots are left to be played. the only award that is possibly locked up right now would be bernier....and thats no lock if keetley has another stellar game in the finals.

Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Aug 12, 2006
i think if james neal isnt playing the way he is......plymouth isnt in the semi-final game...youd have to assume keatley is going to be on the allstar team he's been remarkable.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Forwards
Neal (should be a lock)
Perron (should be a lock)
Repik, McCardle or ?

Defense
Russell (should be a lock)
Franson, Mikkelson or ?

Goal
Bernier (Keatley is a possible)

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Well, JD Watt wins the award for victim of the worst call. After getting cross-checked into the Plymouth goalie, he somehow managed to get an interference penalty.

What you guys didn't see on TV was the crowd boo throughout the entire commercial break that followed, eventually shouting down an in-house contest sponsored by Subway the game host was trying to do with some poor lady.

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
Well, JD Watt wins the award for victim of the worst call. After getting cross-checked into the Plymouth goalie, he somehow managed to get an interference penalty.

What you guys didn't see on TV was the crowd boo throughout the entire commercial break that followed, eventually shouting down an in-house contest sponsored by Subway the game host was trying to do with some poor lady.

Haha that was hilarious, I can't stand the guy anyway so I was pleased.

To me the call was based entirely on Watt's reputation.

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
Although this is an Allstar Thread I just have to mention two guys who have been absolute duds in the Cup.

Dan Ryder - if he makes in anywhere above the ECHL I'd be shocked

Jon Blum - definitly cemented himself as a 2nd rounder IMO

mikethompson

Mar 20, 2007
Maple Ridge
Forward 1: Mike Repik or Milan Lucic(both have been absolutely amazing on the first line with Wacey)
Forward 2: Tyler Ennis or Brennan Bosh(two crazy skilled speadsters part of the smurf line)
Forward 3: David Perron or James Neal(probably Neal cause I dont see how a guy who got eliminated in a tiebreaker game gets on the allstar team)

Defence 1:Kris Russel
Defence 2:Cody Franson

Goalie:whoever wins the game Sunday will be in this slot

My question though is how do guys that are on the first team eliminated get on the allstar team, is it really about points or is it their entire play and contributing to their teams succes, well Perron and Bernier didnt do that so how dont see how they get on the allstar team.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Forward 1: Repik
Forward 2: Neal
Forward 3: Perron
Defensemen 1: Cunningham
Defensemen 2: Russell
Goalie: Sexsmith

kingsfann805

Dec 25, 2006
Oxnard
My question though is how do guys that are on the first team eliminated get on the allstar team, is it really about points or is it their entire play and contributing to their teams succes, well Perron and Bernier didnt do that so how dont see how they get on the allstar team.

Aren't all-star teams composed of the best players at that position? Team success should have nothing to do with an "all-star" selection IMO.

Again, don't believe the teams final standings should dictate which players are selected to an allstar team.

Bernier was the #1 star in the first 3 games he played, even though 2 of those games were loses. His play had to be somewhat "good," no?? Bernier's team (and any other netminder's team) not being able to score, should not reflect on his play / selection to an allstar team.

Now that being said, if either one of the 2 goaltenders in the finals has played equally and/or better the Bernier, then of course that person should be on the allstar team. Not because of the place of their team, but because they were the best at that position IMO.

mikethompson

Mar 20, 2007
Maple Ridge
k then the question here is who where the top 3 forwards the top 2 defenceman and the top goalie at this tourney.
forward 1:james neal(hands down best allaround player in this tourney)
forward 2:darren helm(another great allaround player saw how good he was at WJC)
forward 3:mike repik or milan lucic or david perron

defenceman 1:russel
defenceman 2:franson

goalie: bernier

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
did they name the allstar team? all i can find anywhere is that lucic was named the mvp of the mem cup....which is a bit odd IMO.

Poke Check

Dec 31, 2006
. . . The CHL announced its end-of-tournament awards and all-star team. Repik took the leading scorer honour on three goals and four assists, Matt Keetley of Medicine Hat won the top goalie award and Brennan Bosch of Medicine Hat captured the most sportsmanlike honour. The all-star team included Keetley in goal, Franson and Vancouver's Brendan Mikkelson on defence and Helm, Lucic and Repik at forward.

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/story.html?id=5524e765-36fc-493e-ac73-1c210f6898c6&k=73730&p=2

crthomp

Apr 18, 2007
Anyone think James Neal got robbed of a spot? Or is the all star team typically only made up of the two teams in the final?

I know stats aren't everything but Helm had 2 points and Neal had 6. Plus Neal was a physical force.

And Mikkelson on D? Any thoughts on that? I didn't even think of him at all. Although I didn't think Russell had that great of a tourney.

I figured Repik, Lucic, Franson and Keetley would make it though.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Anyone think James Neal got robbed of a spot? Or is the all star team typically only made up of the two teams in the final?

I know stats aren't everything but Helm had 2 points and Neal had 6. Plus Neal was a physical force.

And Mikkelson on D? Any thoughts on that? I didn't even think of him at all. Although I didn't think Russell had that great of a tourney.

I figured Repik, Lucic, Franson and Keetley would make it though.

Russell didnt have a great tourney, neither did Franson...no dmen really stood out as having a real stellar mem cup...Helm really didnt have a great tourney either I didnt think. Keetley deserved it....Repik deserved it.......I would have said Repik was tourney mvp personally but thats just me.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Russell didnt have a great tourney, neither did Franson...no dmen really stood out as having a real stellar mem cup...Helm really didnt have a great tourney either I didnt think. Keetley deserved it....Repik deserved it.......I would have said Repik was tourney mvp personally but thats just me.

I agree. I thought Repik would have and should have gotten MVP. Lucic was good as well, but a lot of his offense was created by Repik.

tomik88

Mar 29, 2007
how did play michal neuvith in play off (memorial cup)?Will he play to washington next season,do you think?

Ferjo

Sep 28, 2004
tomik88 said:
how did play michal neuvith in play off (memorial cup)?Will he play to washington next season,do you think?
while his team was generally pretty bad, he was simply awful at times. he had some strong stretches, but you don't see goalies in pre-season allowing the goals he did against the Tigers, and while it wasnt his fault the giants pulled away in the semis, he wasn't helping the cause. he was pretty strong in the OHL playoffs, but he really didn't have to be, and when he was counted on, he really didnt step up.

as for next season, I'm not sure what Washington and Plymouth have in mind with him. He nowhere near NHL ready, and I dont know if he'd be able to handle the AHL yet. I doubt he returns to plymouth with Jeremy Smith waiting in the wings, and Neuvirth would probably be the one traded, not Smith considering Smith is the hometown boy. I have no idea where he'd play next year.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Wow, I cant believe they took the whole all star line up from the two final teams, thats lame.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
while his team was generally pretty bad, he was simply awful at times. he had some strong stretches, but you don't see goalies in pre-season allowing the goals he did against the Tigers, and while it wasnt his fault the giants pulled away in the semis, he wasn't helping the cause. he was pretty strong in the OHL playoffs, but he really didn't have to be, and when he was counted on, he really didnt step up.

as for next season, I'm not sure what Washington and Plymouth have in mind with him. He nowhere near NHL ready, and I dont know if he'd be able to handle the AHL yet. I doubt he returns to plymouth with Jeremy Smith waiting in the wings, and Neuvirth would probably be the one traded, not Smith considering Smith is the hometown boy. I have no idea where he'd play next year.

He was the single greatest factor in that Plymouth loss. 4 out of the first 5 Giants goals were weak. He was very good in the OHL playoffs and needed to be for Plymouth to march easily to the OHL finals. I don't know what was up with Neuvirth the past couple of weeks.

I would have put Bernier and Neal on the allstar team some how.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
What a great weekend of hockey. The tournament was fairly dull until the playoffs started. Bernier was definitely the best goalie in this tournament. Keatley's team collapses 5 players in front of him almost all of the time. He is good, but not nearly as good as Bernier. To me, the MVP was Repik. He set up most of Lucic's goals and really controlled the game with his skill. Lucic had some big fights and really set the tone in the final game with his early 4 hit shift and fight. That might have been the best shift of any player in the tournament and helped him win the MVP. Neal definitely deserved to be on the all star team, while Perron impressed me with his skill, but after watching the games on the weekend, I would have to go with Repik, Lucic, and Neal as the forwards. Russell didn't make a difference in the final game and Mikkelson was solid all tournament. I agree with Franson and Mikkelson as all stars. Mikkelson reminds me of Brewer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->