2007 looks like a weak draft class

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
We've heard this same 'weak draft' stuff for every draft since 2000 except for 2003. It seems like 2003 is used as a basis for comparison, and every draft fails to stack up.

To me, this draft looks about as average as it gets. Probably weaker in the top-10 than last year, but stronger in the 15-25 range.

2002 and 2004 were weak drafts ... this draft is substantially better than those years.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
I think a lot of the reason for this weak draft year talk is that, for the first time in a couple years, there isn't an Ovechkin/Malkin/Crosby.

Instead, what you have are a few merely very good talents, and then about thirty top-six guys after that.

Or so that's what it appears like. However, I have no doubt Couture becomes a player very much like Yzerman or Francis. Maybe not the best forward in the world, but a top five or six player in the world.

turnbuckle*

Well that's the scoop I'm getting from scouts MS - perhaps you're right and they're wrong, but it's not looking that way.

I don't recall 2001, 2005 and 2006 not being hyped...just the opposite.

As for 15-25 being stronger than last year....not really looking that way. One scout told me he doen't see Sam Gagner being any better a pro prospect than Claude Giroux, who was picked 22nd overall last season. Gagner's looking like a top ten pick this year. Even if there was some more depth in the 20th pick range...so what? I'll take 10 potential star picks over 20 safe second or third liners any day.

kingpin_19

Jan 5, 2005
Drumheller, AB
Well, we're fifteen to twenty games into the season. I don't remember Erik Johnson being considered a future franchise blueliner at this point. And if you told me Jordan Staal would have five NHL goals, I'd have called you crazy...

After seeing one player jump straight into the NHL from the draft in '05, and I remember thinking that '06 was a VERY weak draft class. So things can change very quickly...

Big Daddy

Dec 16, 2005
I'm skeptical about Hickey. He's got more skill and speed than any other defenseman in the WHL but he's got a ten cent set of hockey sense. He tries to do everything by himself and makes a lot of poor decisions. However, at times he compensates with his unreal speed and hands but he's out of position a lot and he's always trying to do everything himself. Maybe it's because of his supporting case in Seattle or he's trying to impress scouts but I'd be nervous about him.

I think you nailed it here. He is a great player but he doesn't have a lot of help. If his concern is his draft year he should play within himself and let the pieces fall where they fall.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The calibre of forwards is not that great from the 3 CHL leagues--it is however a good crop of Dmen --especially from the WHL ---the depth of the 10-30 picks is good but it is weak in the top ten in terms of where those guys would place in a stronger top-end type draft...the consensus seems to be worse than average first round (because the top isn't that great) but deeper into the other rounds...because the usual suppliers in Europe (Sweden & Finland ) will have a poor crop that also drags down the draft in '07...Russia has a better crop than last year--but no "franchise" players like Ovechkin or Malkin--and in any case,they are still beset by the transfer issues--which could scare oifff teams again...

In this kind of draft--I think you have to grade some of the lesser Jr. leagues' talent higher than they normally would get credit for....

The 3 good BCHL prospects : KYLE TURRIS,CASEY PIERRO-ZABOTEL and BEN WINNETT could all be first rounders...I've never seen the last 2 play--but TURRIS to me is a special talent --and if the scouts insist on deducting rank just because the BCHL is not major Junior competition--its probably a big mistake given the depth of forward weakness in the CHL leagues for this draft .... if the ISS now ranks TURRIS as the highest BCHL'er at #23 --in this draft--a team wanting to draft a centre may take him much higher...simply put--do you go for a sloid D-man instead say at #10 or do you grab the best centre or forward talent early before it is gone --perhaps you still a get a good d-man prospect at #40,simply because depth of d-men is better in this draft that the forwards crop as a whole?

OhNoItsComeau57

Sep 15, 2006
New Orleans
To be honest I'm just starting to get some feedback from Europe, but I've heard good things about Moller. He could be one of the European-trained skaters that sneaks into the first round. While 2007 is relatively weak at the top end, there is a large group of North American prospects that are mid-to-late first-round potentia, so there may not be many first rounders from overseas.

The top-rated player at this point is Voracek, and put into last year's draft he's picked after the top six or seven at least.

So are you also saying that no one availble in this years draft would have been picked ahead of Brassard or Okposo? I know that Espo is slipping but he has been highly touted for a while. Just curious.

Last edited:

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
We've heard this same 'weak draft' stuff for every draft since 2000 except for 2003. It seems like 2003 is used as a basis for comparison, and every draft fails to stack up.

To me, this draft looks about as average as it gets. Probably weaker in the top-10 than last year, but stronger in the 15-25 range.

2002 and 2004 were weak drafts ... this draft is substantially better than those years.

I Don't think the 2004 draft was a weak one. They were 2 franchise player available that year with Ovechkin and Malkin. You don't see that often!

Then you got players like Radulov (#15), Zajac (#20), Wolski (#21) and Meszaros (#23). Not bad at all.

Plus Tukonen (#11), Stafford (#13), Nokelainen (#16) and Schremp (#25) are considered to be good prospect.

I don't say it was a great draft but it was certainly not a weak one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->