2007 eligible defensemen

Kramy

Jul 11, 2006
Québec
I'd like to have some information about this year's eligible defensemen corp. As it stands now, Habs will likely own 5 picks in the top 80 and it seems to me that one of the biggest need that must be adressed is on defense. I'm looking for players that are labelled as puck-moving defenseman. Among all defenseman that might get drafted in the top 80, which of them, in your opinion, have the best mix of these skills :

- Skating
- Defense in his own zone, and general awareness in all situations
- Solid first pass
- Puck protection
- Puck control
- A little offensive potential

In a nutshell, this thread is all about the transition game. I don't want your take about who's going to be the best defenseman of this draft when it's all said and done, I'm looking for the best two way / puck moving defesemen available! Having lists separating two way defenseman, offensive minded defenseman and defensive minded defensemen from each other could be great too!

Thanks for your help! :yo:

Last edited:

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
There's debate where he'll go in the draft: Mark Katic-Sarnia Sting will probably draft anywhere(and I mean ANYWHERE) between late first to mid third depending on the scouting- ESPN.com has him listed as their #5 dman in the draft. Great skating and puck handling. Good vision, knows where players are on the ice. Doesn't make many turnovers, and covers himself well when he does. The downside is that he IS down- about 5'9 or so. Not the biggest guy, but he can move the puck.

Kramy

Jul 11, 2006
Québec
Are there any other D-Men especially known for their transition game?

I don't know them much, so how would you rate the skills of these players in that department :

Ryan McDonagh, Tommy Cross, Kevin Shattenkirk, John Blum, Thomas Hickey, Eric Doyle, John Negrin, Nick Ross, etc.

KNOXVILLE

Mar 22, 2007
canada
Skating
- Defense in his own zone, and general awareness in all situations
- Solid first pass
- Puck protection
- Puck control
- A little offensive potential

I know a right handed defensive minded defenseman who possess all these skills. Jonathan Carrier from the Gatineau Olympiques has a great hockey sens. His hugeness (6'-4 1\2'' and 210 pounds) allow him to be rough in all game's situations. In the rare occasions he had to perform in powerplay, he showed a tremendous shot. Up to now, he's ranked 81st in the nhl draft list. Probably cause he had been slowed by a blood clot in the leg this year. Now he appears to be healthy and in shape to face the post season.

elvisisalive

Feb 20, 2007
I watched Carrier a few months ago and came away unimpressed. He kept going for the big hit only to miss, causing numerous chances against his goalie. maybe this blood clot was the reason for it. Can you tell me if his lateral movement has improved any, as that was the major cause for his poor play. He does have size, and a mean streak, and his outlet passes were very good.just no speed, reminded me too much of Hatcher.

KNOXVILLE

Mar 22, 2007
canada
Big guys take always more time to be on the mend. He's totally recovered from his illness and it looks like he needs more time to recover his legs strength. Still, he's a good skater at six foot four and he rarely compromises the team compared to some old hand defenseman teammates. In my view, he doesn't have any difficulties with his lateral deplacement and I see in him an excellent prospect for the NHL.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Thomas Hickey :teach: Period.

If you can't get Alzner, Hickey would be my choice. May not have the size of some of the Ellerbys or Negrins of the world, but he's the best pure puck mover in the class IMO.

Whawks33

Apr 1, 2002
Portland OR
Visit site
Thomas Hickey :teach: Period.

If you can't get Alzner, Hickey would be my choice. May not have the size of some of the Ellerbys or Negrins of the world, but he's the best pure puck mover in the class IMO.

Have to agree with you. If Hickey had a bit more size he'd be a top 5 pick. He is a great transition Dman.

mapletoft

Jan 3, 2006
Paul Postma will go high in the draft - amazing speed and shot - will benefit from attention provided from developmental coaches and scouts keeping an eye on him after he has been drafted. Hasn't progressed as well this year due to poor coaching at he hands of the two Broncos coaches.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Paul Postma will go high in the draft - amazing speed and shot - will benefit from attention provided from developmental coaches and scouts keeping an eye on him after he has been drafted. Hasn't progressed as well this year due to poor coaching at he hands of the two Broncos coaches.

Looks intriguing !
Is he a good skater for the WHL or one of best skater in the league ala Bouwmester ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad