2007 Draft: "Deep" or "Unspectacular"

wetcoastwhale

Aug 12, 2005
SA
There have been conflicting media reports about the quality of this years draft: opinions would be welcome.

In the Vancouver media, I have often heard how this year's draft is so deep and the Canucks are well set up with 4 picks in the top 60.

With the Forsberg trade, now TSN and Bob McKenzie are calling this draft "unspectacular".

With the trade-dealine looming, how valuable are picks for this year's draft?

(I searched the last few pages of "prospects" for a similar topic, but didn't find any)

Nich

Dec 8, 2004
Wantagh
no crosby's or malkins, but solid players through 2 rounds.

deep draft but not much high end talent, but doesn't mean the kids can't turn into a malkin, etc player

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
The big thing is that there's nobody who can supposedly step in right away and contribute. That's why the draft is being called unspectactular and in some circles, weak. Funny thing is, most scouts have called this a deep draft in that most teams will end up with a very good player in the first few rounds.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The big thing is that there's nobody who can supposedly step in right away and contribute. That's why the draft is being called unspectactular and in some circles, weak. Funny thing is, most scouts have called this a deep draft in that most teams will end up with a very good player in the first few rounds.
I'm pretty happy that we will have 3 picks in the first 31. Add that to 4 picks in the first 2 rounds last year and that's how you build a deep farm really quickly.

Lionheart

Jul 20, 2005
Ottawa
No 'sure things', but an absolute crapload of 'could/would/should be' types

At least that's what I think. Lots of potential, but nothing i'd bet the house on.

AgentNaslund*

If you take away Crosby, how does everyone think this draft compares to 2005?

sucks. hf earlier posted an artical about 2 diffrent scouts, saying how this years draft no one jumps out at ya.

2007 crap draft year.

Popcorn_Shrimp*

This is the kind of year where a team might be wise to trade for 2nds and maybe even higher 3rd rd picks as apposed to moving up for a higher first...

I dont think many teams will be trading up ...say moving from 25th spot to 15th

but maybe teams would be willing to part with sum assets to grab a couple 2nd rounders....

i think this draft year will be a good year for vcr because they will load up the prospect pool with depth (not necessarily with top end guys like grabner bourdon schnieder but depth guys) with a 1st and three 2nds.
Even if there isnt a crap load of top end talent....vcr still makes out with 4 players all in the top 60 in a draft that has good depth through about 2 rounds

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
sucks. hf earlier posted an artical about 2 diffrent scouts, saying how this years draft no one jumps out at ya.

2007 crap draft year.

No one jumps out because there are so many people at the top. People are waiting for someone to jump out sort of like Kovalchuk did in his draft year, Cherepanov kind of did but no one is convinced until after playoff season. That doesn't make the draft weak.

MikeC

Feb 28, 2002
L'Assomption
unspectacular, it's pretty weak after Voracek, Kane, Cherepanov.

the proof that if you dont know what you are talking about..you should no say a world...

pretty ridiculous comment....please do not play the expert when you have no clue about players eligible in the draft...

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
well, there isn't a top end player like a Crosby, Malkin or Ovechkin..but it seems like a pretty deep draft for the first 2 rounds or so.

Espo7

Feb 11, 2007
Vancouver, BC
www.geocities.com
Although there are no present superstars, we all know there will be 3 or 4 bonifide NHL all-stars comming out of this draft...just not immediately. A first round pick is always valuable, and really, the top 15 picks in this draft are very solid players.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
I've been draft watching in many capacities for years and I'd say that compared to last year:
2006/2007 top 12 or so are equal but no EJ, Toews or Staal for 2007
2007 top 40 = 2006 top 30+
2007 top 60+ = 2006 top 45+

After that it's a real crap shoot as normal.

League by league and country by country:
WHL- much better than 2006
OHL- worse then 2006 by some margin
QMJHL- about equal or maybe slightly better than 2006
USHL/Canada Tier 2- a bit better than 2006
NCAA/USNPDT- same as 2006
USHS- same (?)
Sweden- a bit down
Finland- down
Czech- a bit down
Russia- very slightly up from last year
Other Europe- same, but not a big factor

Positions:
Forwards- A bit below 2006 at the top end but good depth thereafter
Defensemen- Better depth than 2006 but no EJ
Goalies- Not too good- well below 2006.

Botton line- the draft crop is not exciting and spectacular but the depth looks to be reasonable.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
So would you say that the only players with chances of high all-star status in the NHL in this draft are the big 8 up front (Kane, Cherepanov, Voracek, Van Riemsdyk, Turris, Couture, Gagner, Esposito) and maybe a few d-men (Alzner, Ellerby, Blum, Negrin, Petrecki)?

turnbuckle*

the proof that if you dont know what you are talking about..you should no say a world...

pretty ridiculous comment....please do not play the expert when you have no clue about players eligible in the draft...

I actually thought his comment was pretty accurate...after those three the crop is pretty unspectacular...I'd also opine that it's not very deep. Players that in most years would be ranked in the 30-50s are being considered for the first round of this draft. It's deep in unspectacularism. The key is to find some hidden gems as there always are. I have a feeling a few of them may come from the USHS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
I actually thought his comment was pretty accurate...after those three the crop is pretty unspectacular...I'd also opine that it's not very deep. Players that in most years would be ranked in the 30-50s are being considered for the first round of this draft. It's deep in unspectacularism. The key is to find some hidden gems as there always are. I have a feeling a few of them may come from the USHS.

What about Alzner, Van Reimsdyk, and Couture...all of which I have seen ranked above those 3 in several sources. In my mind there is a pretty solid to 9, then it gets a little more difficult from 10-20, then from 20 on it's just a crapshoot.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
Seems like there is a lack of top-end goaltending talent. No one is hyping the goaltenders.

WheatiesHockey

Dec 19, 2006
Most likely this is a very flat draft year with 1st rounders and 7th rounders defined by very fine degrees. Picking well this year will mean being who fits in with your team plans and who does not.

turnbuckle*

What about Alzner, Van Reimsdyk, and Couture...all of which I have seen ranked above those 3 in several sources. In my mind there is a pretty solid to 9, then it gets a little more difficult from 10-20, then from 20 on it's just a crapshoot.

Just because they've been ranked above those three on certain lists doesn't make them, more "spectacular" now, does it?

I'd hardly call Logan Couture or JVR "spectacular." I guess it depends on your meaning of the word.

I look at it this way - Derick Brassard would be in the running for the top pick this season, as would Okposo. if Backstrom, Kessel, Toews, Johnson, Staal were available this year, they'd be favourites for the top spot. That tells me that this is not a spectacular draft.

I don't think McKenzie and the scouts he counselled before reaching that conclusion are blowing smoking out of their posteriors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad