2007 Calder Trophy Winner is.....?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
chiefmonarch said:
Both were outstanding offensive players in juniors. Both have a questionable work ethic. Brendl in Calgary wasnt big on backchecking or playing D, cherry picker was a good description. The same can be said for Radulov in the games I have seen. The other thing I wonder is how many points hed have on a team that wasnt known to run up the score in the Q, thats not a reflection of the player just a curiousity I have. Like I said I hope hes not the next Brendl, only time will tell.

Radulov doesn't remind me of Brendl at all. His work ethic is 100X that of Brendl's...plus his skating is much better. Radulov gets much more involved in the play than Brendl ever did. I think Pavel was a better pure scorer though.

What a waste of talent Brendl is/was. The only thing that kept him from being a star in the NHL was his work ethic. Perhaps his skating could've used a little fine tuning, but beyond that he had all the tools.

gimzo23

Jan 5, 2006
Sidney Crosby. I believe the NHL is going to change the rules for rookie eligibility, so that Crosby gets another chance to win the Calder. :sarcasm:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
wildone26 said:
Robbie Schremp was deemed by the U.S coaches at the World juniors to not be good enough to play on the top two lines of even that team, and not to be good enough to be one of the players not on the bench when he shortened his bench to 6 forwards. He was not even deemed to be one of the 6 best forwards on a U.S team that came only 4th at the World juniors. Yet you think he will win the Calder?

While I'm not sure about Schremp's chances of winning the Calder, I don't think his play or the way he was used in the WJC's is a good barometer for NHL success.

My choices:

1) Brule
2) Malkin (if he comes over)
3) Radulov

I'd like to say O'Sullivan, but I'm not sure Lemaire will give him enough minutes with quality linemates to put up the numbers he would need to win the Calder.

Bam Beet*

Legionnaire said:
I'm well aware of who he is. It's just that he's not even close to being the Av's best player. I would say something like, "Imagine him playing with Sakic :amazed: or Tanguay" far before I'd say Svatos.

He is the Avs best "goal scorer" and since Wolski is more of a setup man than he would be ideal with Svatos. I also said that because they are both rookies(Svatos not anymore).

Svatos4MVP

Apr 21, 2006
the Calder will go to...

Malkin if he plays in NHL next year...
... if he doesn't then Toivonen will win if he's healthy...
...if he isn't then Brule will win.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Malkin(if he comes over)

O'Sullivan otherwise(rookie of the year is usually a stats based trophy and i think O'Sullivan has best chance to put up most points).

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
wildone26 said:
Robbie Schremp was deemed by the U.S coaches at the World juniors to not be good enough to play on the top two lines of even that team, and not to be good enough to be one of the players not on the bench when he shortened his bench to 6 forwards. He was not even deemed to be one of the 6 best forwards on a U.S team that came only 4th at the World juniors. Yet you think he will win the Calder?

He sat on the bench because he played in the CHL. Simple as that.

Schremp was, at worst, the #2 player in the OHL this year.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
A solid darkhorse if he lands a spot next to Joey T within 20 games of the season starting is Devin Setoguchi. He might be sent back down to juniors too though, I wouldnt be surprised even though he almost made it last year, San Jose is patient with their top picks.

wildone26*

thomasincanada said:
He sat on the bench because he played in the CHL. Simple as that.

Schremp was, at worst, the #2 player in the OHL this year.

Peter Mueller played in the CHL this year, and was on the 2nd line of the WJ team, played on the PP, and was on the ice when the coach shortened his bench. So obviously it had nothing to do with the CHL thing, otherwise how did Mueller get placed in the bigger roles?

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
wildone26 said:
Peter Mueller played in the CHL this year, and was on the 2nd line of the WJ team, played on the PP, and was on the ice when the coach shortened his bench. So obviously it had nothing to do with the CHL thing, otherwise how did Mueller get placed in the bigger roles?

I suspect that Mueller was still in the US coaching good books because of the recent championship at the U-18's and the fact that he's basically played in the US up until this season. Ryan snubbed the US a few years back and Schremp has been playing in Ontario Leagues for basically 6 years now.

No unbiased coach in his right mind would honestly let Kessel continue to do the same unsuccessful move 30 times a game while keeping the OHL's top scorer on the bench for most of the time.

digitalmonkey*

wildone26 said:

Wayne Gretzky is too small!

digitalmonkey*

I'm gonna pick a darkhorse; Ladislav Smid who will probably replace Ruslan Salei on the Anaheim blueline next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad