2007-2008 Salary cap Estimates??

Schitzo

Jul 29, 2006
I know it's early, but anyone have any thoughts on this, I've found nothing in my searches so far.

Don't hold me to it, but I believe the meeting where the preliminary estimates are released is happening in a couple of weeks.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
I'm not sure which (I was going back and forth between games during commercials of the Sabres game) but during the intermission of one of the HNIC games they were talking about that part of the reason of the lower attendence is in increase in ticket prices which will result in a higher gate total then last year meaning a slightly higher cap... They said it was to early for actual number estimates though.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but they didn't exactly delve into details

Wetcoaster

If current revenues hold - about another $1-2 million per team based on first quarter estimates.

Contrary to popular belief, NHL revenues are not expected to ''flatline'' this season. Sources indicate owners will be told that ''medium growth'' is expected at this point, which means the US$44-million, team-by-team salary cap will raise again next season, although not nearly as much as the $5-million jump from last year when revenues blew away initial projections.

While NHL attendance is down about one per cent across the board, balancing things out is the fact that most clubs raised tickets prices this season, so gate receipts overall are up compared to last year at this time.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=187009&hubname=

La Grosse Tendresse

Sep 19, 2005
Rouyn-Noranda
If current revenues hold - about another $1-2 million per team based on first quarter estimates.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=187009&hubname=

I don't believe that at all. They are saying this because that's the company (NHL) line and they are sticking with it. Ratings are down in the US and Canada, attendance is way down pretty much accross the board, etc...

Last season it ws 39-mil, and I believe it's going to end up pretty much back at that point, maybe more like 41-42, but it definetaly won't go up.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Current ratings only affect future TV contracts, except in the case of NBC where they split any profits - and NBC has yet to broadcast a game. And as was mentioned, attendance is down but ticket prices went up more than the change in attendance - so revenues are up.

Example: suppose last year a team averaged 15000 tickets sold per game at $40 per ticket - that's $600,000 per game in ticket revenue. Now suppose attendance goes down 5% but ticket prices go up 7%. Now the average attendance is only 14,250 but the average ticket price is $42.80 - meaning a total ticket revenue per game of $609,900 (an increase of 1.65%).

Wetcoaster

I don't believe that at all. They are saying this because that's the company (NHL) line and they are sticking with it. Ratings are down in the US and Canada, attendance is way down pretty much accross the board, etc...

Last season it ws 39-mil, and I believe it's going to end up pretty much back at that point, maybe more like 41-42, but it definetaly won't go up.
The Satellite Hot Stove on HNIC said the same as TSN. Revenues up in the first quarter. If it holds then a small increase in the cap next year.

Attendance is down marginally (1%?) but revenues are up due to ticket price increases in many markets including differential pricng for certain games becoming more widespread.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Cap to increase next season?

Saskin: Cap will increase next season
Canadian Press

12/4/2006 5:49:00 PM

PALM BEACH, Fla. (CP) - The team-by-team salary cap in the NHL is expected to rise to between US$46 million and $47.5 million next season.

Despite lower attendance in some markets, the league's total revenues are on thre rise. This salary cap is currently $44 million
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=187151&hubname=

Last edited by a moderator:

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
So much for the lockout being for lower ticket prices, they will have to keep raising tickets each year to make up for even or lost attendance.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Also of note is that revenues are only $22 million shy of triggering an increase of the players % (to 55% from 54%). Even a 1% increase in revenues will trigger this, and that extra % of revenue translates to an extra 700k to the midpoint.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
So much for the lockout being for lower ticket prices, they will have to keep raising tickets each year to make up for even or lost attendance.

i wont dig up the quotes again, but Bettman most definatly sold the sheep that the lock out would make tickets affordable for everyone.

i guess its just lawyer double talk, but all us educated business of hockey people already knew this. its just that the majority of hockey fans fell for it hook line and sinker.

i still know people who refer to the owners lockout as a strike. when they are corrected, they simpy say "whatever". like its the players fault, no matter what.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
i wont dig up the quotes again, but Bettman most definatly sold the sheep that the lock out would make tickets affordable for everyone.

i guess its just lawyer double talk, but all us educated business of hockey people already knew this. its just that the majority of hockey fans fell for it hook line and sinker.

i still know people who refer to the owners lockout as a strike. when they are corrected, they simpy say "whatever". like its the players fault, no matter what.

Absolutely. The level of lemminglike behaviour around here during the lockout was absolutely disgraceful. It's like nobody could think for themselves.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Absolutely. The level of lemminglike behaviour around here during the lockout was absolutely disgraceful. It's like nobody could think for themselves.

It's true.

Actually, gscarpenter and I simply cut and pasted each others' posts, changing the odd word here and there.

This is what happens when you have uneducated simpletons like ourselves trying to engage in a debate with intellectual heavyweights.

It was pretty sad to watch...

btw, I'd like to see some of my old posts where I said ticket prices would be lower, just for old time's sake. :)

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
The idea that ticket prices would stay down was always more then a little naive. The owners aren't out there spending their money on a charitable cause, they want to make money. The Players aren't the only one's worried about the bottom line, the owners wan't that extra dollar every bit as much.

The lockout wasn't about improving the equality of tha game, it was about ensuring profit, any benefits the fans may have seen were merely offshots from that. The fans concerns were never a real factor. Anyone thinking logically should have been well aware of that fact.
The NHL is now and will always be a business first and foremost.

Ticket prices will push to the limits of what the individual markets can possibly bare.

If that means less people can afford to see the game then it ultimately means nothing at al, just so long as those people that do pay for the tickets yield enough income to overcome whatever cheaper tickets might gain in extra fans.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
The lockout wasn't about improving the equality of tha game, it was about ensuring profit, any benefits the fans may have seen were merely offshots from that. .

Kinda.

It was about ensuring cost certainty.

Individual teams, as well as the league as a whole, were never guaranteed profits.

There were never meant to be any safeguards against bankrupt parent owners or corporations, individual owners charging amounts deemed excessive by fans or scribes, or anything of that ilk.

It was simply to ensure that players' salaries never constituted more than 54 to 55% of the revenues generated by a league that is a niche sport and local-market (read, gate receipts) driven.

Everything else is simply a trickle-down effect.

Brent Burns Beard