2007-2008 NHL Rookie class???

crazedcanuck

Jun 23, 2005
I haven't been able to find anything on next year's crop of potential stars.

There are the Rob Schremp mentions, maybe Petr Kalus, but outside of them I haven't heard much "buzz".

Any suggestions, links, info, etc?

Yann

Apr 4, 2007
Ontario
Well obviously there is last years draftees who could have an immediate impact, Toews, Backstrom, Mueller, E. Johnson... Other youngsters that are obvious are j. Johnson.

Letang and Kirill Kolstov could have an impact and be solid rookies next year....

Veela

Aug 17, 2005
Prague
Not really topic for this thread, but could you tell me what age must be player eligible for draft ? Crosby was drafted at age 17, I thought you must be at least 18. Is the determining factor the year of a birth ?

Yann

Apr 4, 2007
Ontario
Not really topic for this thread, but could you tell me what age must be player eligible for draft ? Crosby was drafted at age 17, I thought you must be at least 18. Is the determining factor the year of a birth ?

Well you have to be 18 by something like the upcoming month of October, or maybe September or something like that I think...

Crosby is born in august, was drafted in June, so yes he was 17, but by the time the season started he was 18...

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006

cutoff date is september 15th. so a player born on september 15th 1989 or later has to wait until the 08 draft.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Well you have to be 18 by something like the upcoming month of October, or maybe September or something like that I think...

Crosby is born in august, was drafted in June, so yes he was 17, but by the time the season started he was 18...

im not positive on all of the math involved but rick nash was drafted at 17 AND played at 17 and his birthday is june 16 1984 but was drafted in june '02..i might be wrong about this though

Alison

Sep 7, 2005
sudbury
Well obviously there is last years draftees who could have an immediate impact, Toews, Backstrom, Mueller, E. Johnson... Other youngsters that are obvious are j. Johnson.

Letang and Kirill Kolstov could have an impact and be solid rookies next year....

And last but not least Marc Staal will make the Rangers next year and will be an impact player. Ranger scouts are probably loving every second he plays in this year OHL playoffs.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
im not positive on all of the math involved but rick nash was drafted at 17 AND played at 17 and his birthday is june 16 1984 but was drafted in june '02..i might be wrong about this though

uhhm NO. he was 18 when he was drafted and 18 when he played he's first NHL game.

crazedcanuck

Jun 23, 2005
Basically I'm trying to determine which propsects are making the transition next yr.

I'm sure this discussion will help all of us fantasy freaks too.

I'm not too concerned with Calder talk as much as who is getting the call.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
i think perttu lindgren wil get a roster spot in dallas next season.
letang is allmost a lock to play for PIT.
anton stralman will play for toronto

Bucket

Nov 26, 2006
Canada
Unless Schremp has a great training camp, he probably won't have a starting stint with the Oilers, we just have too many centers. And he just tore his MCL, which grants him 3 months off.

Gilbert, Grebeshkov and Pouliot will likely start the season with the big club.

Slink

Jan 31, 2004
Newmarket, ON
but they atleast have to sign him. he was picked in 05 and if they dont sign him soon they will loose the rights to him.

Unfortunately, there is no room for Stralman on the Leafs blueline next year. I would love to see "the next Lidstrom". Stralman has also said that he doesn't want to play in the AHL but would rather continue playing in Sweden until he is NHL ready. Apparently, he also just recently had a baby and would rather stay in Sweden for one more year.

Kulemin plans on staying in Russia for one more year. Metallurg suggested that he stay one more year in Russia and make a ton of money to support his family for a long time before going to Toronto and taking on the uncertainties of an NHL contract. Metallurg told him he is free to go to Toronto after next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad