2007-10 ISS Final Rankings vs. Reality...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Well the thread itself was an interesting look but you're right. The scouting services aren't doing a "mock" of the 1st round. They're ranking the prospects according to their opinions. Heck you dont need to look at ISS or any scouting service to see that drafting in the 1st round can go wrong when compared to the rankings. I can remember guys like Benoit Pouliot, Gilbert Brule, Kyle Turris, etc were ranked high by everyone and we're still waiting for them to produce while guys like Statsny, Krejci, Weber, etc are drafted in the 2nd round and are franchise-type players. The only thing this thread did for me was to highlight the fact that....

RANKINGS =/= MOCK DRAFT

I understand that scouting lists arent as cut and dry as we want them to be. but, I still believe that when they put up a top 30 list, it is of the most talented 30 players for the draft. I cant imagine NHL teams not drafting the most talented player from their list because they have an organizational weakness, so they take the lessor player.

I am sure there have been some cases where positional needs outweighed BPA, but if ISS has a top 30, and it is infact the top 30 players they feel will be professional players, then what is the difference between their top 30, and every NHL teams top 30 if it isnt about talent and projection?

How many off the wall picks were made in 2010, 2009, 2008 and 2007? and by off the wall, I mean players not ranked in anyones top 30, yet went top 30? I know of a few, but I just doesnt happen much.

The bottom line for me is : does ISS see talent the same way the NHL GM's and scouts see talent?????

and from the results of these 4 years, I will say that ISS performed better then I thought they would have.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I understand that scouting lists arent as cut and dry as we want them to be. but, I still believe that when they put up a top 30 list, it is of the most talented 30 players for the draft. I cant imagine NHL teams not drafting the most talented player from their list because they have an organizational weakness, so they take the lessor player.

I am sure there have been some cases where positional needs outweighed BPA, but if ISS has a top 30, and it is infact the top 30 players they feel will be professional players, then what is the difference between their top 30, and every NHL teams top 30 if it isnt about talent and projection?

How many off the wall picks were made in 2010, 2009, 2008 and 2007? and by off the wall, I mean players not ranked in anyones top 30, yet went top 30? I know of a few, but I just doesnt happen much.

The bottom line for me is : does ISS see talent the same way the NHL GM's and scouts see talent?????

and from the results of these 4 years, I will say that ISS performed better then I thought they would have.

Opinions differ...

Like others have said...ISS and any other scouting service are ranking players based on who they think is best...not who will be the top 30 players picked.

If you really want to do this than you should take a look at the ISS rankings and see how the players panned out.

Lets say ISS had Jordan Eberle ranked 5th overall....would that be a good thing or a bad thing? According to you it would be bad because they mis-ranked him...but obviously most people would give ISS props for basically having Eberle so high when a lot of teams didnt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad