2007/08 CHL Season

crthomp

Apr 18, 2007
Well now that the 2006/07 season is over does anyone have any early thoughts about next year?

Will the following players leave the CHL for their NHL farm teams or potentially even make the NHL or will they return to the CHL

Pat Kane
Sam Gagner
Segei Kostitsyn is already gone right?
James Neal (gone I think)
Darren Helm
David Perron
Peter Mueller (I'm guessing he's gone for sure)
Martin Hanzal (same as Mueller?)
Logan Couture
Angelo Esposito
James Sheppard (gone I think)
Brad Marchand (gone I think)
others???

What teams will be strong next year and why? Any early predictions on who could win each league? and make the memorial cup?

I personally think Rimouski should rebound and be strong and could make a run next year with Michael Frolik, David Skokan, Maxime Tanguay, Maxime Gratchev, Oliver Fortier. They seem like they could have a potent offense.

Who will lead each league in scoring? OHL - Tavares, WHL - Zach Boychuk, QMJHL - Steven Anthony potentially. Any thoughts?

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Speaking strictly for the O - Neal & Kostitsyn are gone - to the AHL at least - I fully expect Gagner, Couture and Kane to be back. Kane probably, Gagner & Couture almost certainly. Kane will challenge for the OHL scoring title assuming he returns. Tavares might be unstoppable by next year though.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I hope that next year the Hitmen can build off of this years playoff run. I assume they lose Dupont, and Pettersson, but with White, Alzner, Plante, hope to see them have a big year.

Kostitsyn is gone from London, there's no way he'll be back as an O/A.

Perhaps Noranda will build off their playoff run, they lose Carle and I assume Levasseur, but with Dubuc, Riendeau, Carpentier, Vishnevskiy, Jeff Desjardins, they should have some decent skill. I have no clue how good their other goalies are Danny Mireault, Guillaume Blouin, Michael Denoncourt, so I assume that's going to be the big concern for them next season.

For the Habs, they should have the following CHLers leaving,

Siarhei Kostitsyn (London)
Mathieu Carle (Noranda)
Carey Price (Tri City)
Juraj Mikus (Sags)
Loic Lacasse (Oshawa)

Marco Corleone

Sep 6, 2004
Angelo Esposito---Going no where.
James Sheppard----Should be back. His skating is the only thing keeping him in the Q another season.
Brad Marchand--Will be back.

If Anthony even comes to the Q, he will not be close to the scoring lead.......silly to even think that.

Ferjo

Sep 28, 2004
the obvious players will be up for the scoring lead in the ohl. Tavares and Kane should be around 160 or 170, Gagner 130 and Stamkos not far behind him.

I'd have off the top of my head, Dustin Jeffrey, Dale Mitchell, Jan Mursak, Cory Emmerton, John Hughes, Jiri Tlusty shall he return, Couture, Mcginn, Drew Doughty, Brett Parnham, Chris Terry, Zack Torquato, Matt Caria, Cody Hodgson, Jamie Arniel, Justin Azevedo over, or around 90 points.

as for top teams, Belleville, Kitchener, and Sarnia popped into my head first. with some moves, Oshawa could be the best.

a team like the Majors will have basically the same team as last year. you'd think that wouldn't be a good idea considering how awful they are, but picturing everyone a year advanced since they do have some good players, they should be a good team. not a top team, but with some good man managment (which is usually unheard of for this team) they could do some damage

Last edited:

crthomp

Apr 18, 2007
Angelo Esposito---Going no where.
James Sheppard----Should be back. His skating is the only thing keeping him in the Q another season.
Brad Marchand--Will be back.

If Anthony even comes to the Q, he will not be close to the scoring lead.......silly to even think that.

Ok I just have heard a lot about him and how good he is, so I was just throwing it out there. Where would he go then if he's not going to the Q? I have heard nothing of him going anywhere but there.

And if you think it's so "silly" then why don't you tell us who you think will lead the Q in scoring? I didn't see you give any names.

I wasn't trying to look stupid I was just trying to raise debate on the subject, I did my best not to get comments like yours, but I didn't try hard enough. Next time though.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Q scoring lead?

Well Bouchard, Perreault and Giroux all should be back. They were 1, 3 and 4 respectively this season. Brassard should also make some noise if he stays healthy.

Both Halifax and Moncton could have stronger squads next season, as they iced young teams this year to varying degrees of success. There's some talk in town about Halifax landing some extra talent to boost their lineup, be it by draft, trade or a former draft pick reporting. It could be just idle speculation.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
as for top teams, Belleville, Kitchener, and Sarnia popped into my head first. with some moves, Oshawa could be the best.

London returns 3 of their 4 top players (probably... no guarantee I suppose). They'll be in the hunt if not leading it. I'm not sure Oshawa will be, though.

Marco Corleone

Sep 6, 2004
Ok I just have heard a lot about him and how good he is, so I was just throwing it out there. Where would he go then if he's not going to the Q? I have heard nothing of him going anywhere but there.

And if you think it's so "silly" then why don't you tell us who you think will lead the Q in scoring? I didn't see you give any names.

I wasn't trying to look stupid I was just trying to raise debate on the subject, I did my best not to get comments like yours, but I didn't try hard enough. Next time though.

Try not to take things to heart.....it's a message forum. Not trying to make you look stupid though.

Mathieu Perreault will be near the top......
Claude Giroux will be near the top.....
Jérôme Samson will be near the top..
Brett Morrison I feel will be top 10
James Sheppard will be......
Alex Picard-Hooper will be....if he returns.
Derek Brassard....
Voracek will if he gets some help.
Brad Marchand......always near the top

and expect some Euros to be near the top.

Small list, but those few will be among the leaders next season IMO

If Anthony comes, expect some time for him to adjust to the speed....

Ferjo

Sep 28, 2004
thomasincanada said:
London returns 3 of their 4 top players (probably... no guarantee I suppose). They'll be in the hunt if not leading it. I'm not sure Oshawa will be, though.
London somehow didnt even come into my mind. I dont know I manged that. :help:

As for Oshawa, I did say with some moves. with their defence and goaltending situation, they arent making any playoff noise, but with additions they will be a scary team. I believe Clutterbuck and the import whos name is escaping me are their only forward of note leaving, and the improvments Tavares, Mitchell, Maclean, Parnham, and the underrated Dean Howard should make up for that, and more. One of them could be moved for some solid defencemen, and their offence wouldnt suffer at all. They were a good team this year, and are probably another year away from being great, but they could make some huge steps this upcoming year

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Perron will be back for sure, considering he is a rookie. He has a pretty good shot at winning the scoring title as well.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
No, he doesn't.
Perron will not outscore Perreault, Giroux, Sheppard, Samson, Brassard, or Voracek. He simply is not as good as any of these players.

crthomp

Apr 18, 2007
I hope Perron does well though, I enjoyed watching him at the Memorial Cup, that one move he did on the partial break away to protect the puck was awesome.

Is Brassard a lock to return to Drummondville?

TheTruth

May 15, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
For the "O" :

Kitchener and London will be the two teams to beat IMO. London should have Kane, Gagner back, and I think Phil McCrae will thrive with a larger role and a year of experience under his belt. Plus Just having Mason in goal gives them a chance every night.

Kitchener is returning a lot of key players, and have a high import pick coming up. Since they're hosting the mem cup, they'll almost certainly make some moves to further strengthen the team short-term.

My two dark horse picks would be Sarnia, a young team with a lot of talent, and Oshawa. If they can find a goalie and another defensive defenceman, they'll be the beasts of the east. Also, you can never count Plymouth out, they always seem to have a great, well-coached team.

brewins09

Feb 9, 2007
How about Guelph? They return 17 players from last year's surprising (played better than a lot of people expected) season, have some great picks from 05,06,07 drafts battling for spots (going to be a very competitive training camp), and have potential 08 NHL first rounders Drew Doughty, Jamie Arniel and Thomas McCollum. They also may only have one overager (Rotter) returning so there is room for a few moves for experience. Dave Barr seems to be able to get the most out of his teams as well. Looks good for this year as well as next, with very few players leaving then as well.

crthomp

Apr 18, 2007
I'm excited to watch the following players play next year

QMJHL
Derrick Brassard - if he can stay healthy the entire year he will be at the top of the scoring race
Brad Marchand - if he can play the whole season like he did in playoffs he too could be at the top of the scoring race
David Perron - I just like watching him stick handle and make his moves. I'm hoping for a big season from him next year.
Jakub Voracek - really came on in the playoffs and hopefully next year he really takes off

OHL
Pat Kane - if he comes back he'll be dynamite again
Sam Gagner - I love him and kane together on the same line
John Tavares - No need to explain
Steven Stamkos - he should take off next year
Drew Doughty - scouts should be even more thrilled with him after next year

WHL
Zach Boychuk - could lead the WHL in scoring
Kyle Beach - hopefully he can do well without mueller

and pretty well most of the 2009 draft class, I'll be watching most of them whereever they play to see if the hype is justified or not.

John Tavares
Toni Rajala
Victor Hedman
Steven Anthony
Magnus Paajarvi
Andrei Kuchin
Erik Haula
Jared Cowan
Devon MacAusland
Sam Calabrese
Jordan Schroeder
Matt Duchene
Landon Ferraro
Jimmy Bubnick

I know it's doubtful but I hope they all turn into great hockey players

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Some others to looks for in the dub are:

Zach Hamill
Martin Hanzal
Ryan White
Ben Maxwell
Mark Santorelli
Oscar Moller
John Negrin
Keaton Ellerby
Michal Repik

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
I'm excited to watch the following players play next year

QMJHL
Derrick Brassard - if he can stay healthy the entire year he will be at the top of the scoring race
Brad Marchand - if he can play the whole season like he did in playoffs he too could be at the top of the scoring race
David Perron - I just like watching him stick handle and make his moves. I'm hoping for a big season from him next year.
Jakub Voracek - really came on in the playoffs and hopefully next year he really takes off

Brassard is 20 and signed. I would expect him to be in the AHL.

I think the 4 players likely to be at the top of scoring race will be Perreault, Bouchard, Giroux, and Sheppard.

crthomp

Apr 18, 2007
Brassard is 20 and signed. I would expect him to be in the AHL.

I think the 4 players likely to be at the top of scoring race will be Perreault, Bouchard, Giroux, and Sheppard.

Which team does Perreault play for?

I could have sworn I heard people on this board talking about Giroux going to the flyers next year but I could be wrong.

I know Brassard will be 20 in September but I figured that with his injury last year that the Blue Jackets would want him to play one more year in Junior. Would that be a really bad thing? Or will people look down on him cause he will be a 20 year old? Everyone knows he has the talent but what is the real harm in letting him play one more year in junior?

I know it probably won't happen but why not?

I like the players you listed though, Bouchard won the scoring race this year and would expect nothing less from him, sheppard could be dominant this year and I've heard great things about Giroux

I still think Perron could be around the 100 point total, and Marchand if he returns will be around 100 as well.

And if Marchand goes to Halifax like was stated earlier in this thread I think, then him, voracek and macmillan will be awesome to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->