2006 World Junior groups (Elite level) in Vancouver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
markov` said:
If there is no NHL it's not gonna be a weak team.

Let me throw in some names..

Sidney Crosby, Gilbert Brule, Alex Bourret, Kyle Chipchura, Dustin Boyd, Ryan O'Marra, Chris Durand, Guillaume Latendresse, Cameron Barker, Kris Russel, Ryan Parent

Don't forget Benoit Pouliot

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
jcpenny said:
Lets not forget that the tournament will be hold in Canada and with the crowd behind them they will certainly overachieve.

Most certainly will. This year I think they pretty much had the crowd behind them and played accordingly. Or did the opposing teams get much support from the crowd?

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Legolas said:
Didn't Sweden get relegated? I thought they finished out of the top 8?

They lost to Finland in game for 5th place.

Belarus and Germany were relegated.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
usa could look like this

schremp
bourque
pinneault
porter
kessel
ryan
skille
stoa
tom fritsche
wheeler
weller
should all be locks
haskins, dubinsky, kaleta, lavallee, kolarik, lawrence, mueller, and probably some other ncaa players will get looks

johnson
thelen
lashoff
lee
hagemo
macias
brennan, e johnson, mitera, jones, heshmatpour, and im not really familiar with many 86 ncaa dmen so im sure

Weber Fan

Feb 13, 2003
Quebec city
Visit site
Team Canada junior 06 could look like this...

Wolski-Bolland-Brulé
McGrath-Chipchura-Bertram
Pouliot-Little-Cogliano
Berti-Boyd-Bourret
O'Marra

Barker-O'Neill
Schultz-Staal
Parent-McNeill
Fistric

Price
Dubnyk

Not bad... :yo:

Kitsune

Feb 20, 2003
Toronto ON CA
www.glidingeagle.com
swiss vs canada, my two favourite hockey nations in the same division. I wouldnt be surprised one bit if Norway dont get relegated next year, maybe swiss. I'll be sure to see atleast at Canada-Swiss game. And on another note, the only two teams that could get off easy is the states and canada. All the other teams will likely have to make atleast on grueling trip to Kelowna or Kamloops as Victoria and the PC arent being used for the tourny.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Barnaby said:
Darin Olver have a shot to make US team next year?

pretty sure hes a late 85, not sure though. he will have a shot if hes an 86, but i think theres bigger more skilled players out there that would serve as the same type of player that he is.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Addition by subtraction. No more Likens or Hunwick, an older Lee and Hagemo, Jack Johnson, and perhaps Erik Johnson, not to mention Matt Lashoff, and perhaps a guy like Michael Sauer. It will be a better group, even without Suter.

I don't know how next year for you guy's will be a better defence? I mean, Lee absolutely did not play and it was a HUGE mistake by the USA brass to even bring him to the tourney! Johnson, Johnson, Lee and Sauer will all be 18 or younger and fairly inexperienced and be about he same age as Canada'a defence. Up front, Kessel will only be 18 and will not dominate the tournament by any means. Ovechkin didn't dominate at 18 and was very good this year, but not the difference maker.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
orangeandblack said:
usa could look like this

schremp
bourque
pinneault
porter
kessel
ryan
skille
stoa
tom fritsche
wheeler
weller
should all be locks
haskins, dubinsky, kaleta, lavallee, kolarik, lawrence, mueller, and probably some other ncaa players will get looks

johnson
thelen
lashoff
lee
hagemo
macias
brennan, e johnson, mitera, jones, heshmatpour, and im not really familiar with many 86 ncaa dmen so im sure

You guys will probably want Dubinsky out of Portland, WHL. He's a friggin' good little player!

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Faaxinho said:
It looks like we could make it to top-3 in our group next year. Then again, who knows about Switzerland?
With all do respect to the Swiss, who did have a very good tournament, Finland will be in the top three in their pool.

Next year will be very interesting, as the Fins will have a good number of their players back and experience goes a long way in a short tourney format. You will have Tukonen, Nokelainen, and Korpikoski back, Joensuu will be looked on to be an offensive leader heading into his draft year, and Tukka Rask will be back and all of that together spells a very good shot at a medal.

The Canadians will no doubt have a good team but will it be good enough? Crosby in all likelyhood will not be back, provided there is NHL hockey, but even if he returns, it will be him and Cam Barker and 20 new guys.

The US has a good number of players eligable to return, but I feel with their poor showing this year, that they should figure out a better way of assessing the talent they see fit to just grant spots to, instead of having them compete against eachother. Kessel will no doubt be the leader, and with some luck they could always surprise.

My guess at this time would be...

Group A

Finland
Canada
USA

Group B

Russia
Czech
Sweden

Last edited:

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
orangeandblack said:
pretty sure hes a late 85, not sure though. he will have a shot if hes an 86, but i think theres bigger more skilled players out there that would serve as the same type of player that he is.
\

If Zajac is eligible he will be on the team.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Jacobv2 said:
Wow. players like Crosby and Kessel are probably licking their chops at the prospects of facing friggin' Norway.
I bet the US were licking their chops this year when they saw Belarus too...Oops!

In short tournaments there are no easy games. You have to play to win, and if you have the chance to put up 10 goals than you do it, because the standings may be decided on GA or GF.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
MooseHunter said:
I honestly don't think Canada is going to be very good next year. They have only 2 players that could be returnees.. Crosby and Barker... Barker I'm sure WILL be there, but you never know, Crosby could be playing in the NHL, or Europe if there's no NHL or with the Canadian National team. With the facts that every other team has 7-10 guys returning next year, it's going to be tough to defend the WJC title.
That's the beauty of the WJC, it's always tough to defend the title. Canada will have a completely new team, and that is an obstacle, but there will be no shortage of skill or speed, or character on that team either.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
rangers said:
Cocky Canadians? We`ve handled them before...
Cocky has very little to do with it. The Canadians back it all up on the ice. Now no one is picking Canada to repeat next year, but anything can happen. Besides, I respect every team and every fan of every country, but you don't really think Norway makes the top 3 do you?

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Isles72 said:
I hate to start new threads so I'll ask this question here .

Who are the early favs to make up Team Canada next season ?

Will there be enough talent to compete with some of the other teams who have more players returning than Canada ? (Crosby + ? etc..)

:(
My early predictions:
3G, 8D, 15F

Goalie: Julien-Ellis Plante, Devan Dubnyk
Defense: Cam Barker, Kyle Wharton, Mark Fistric, Mike Card, Wes O'Neill, Andy Rogers, Ryan Parent, Patrick McNeill, Kris Russell
Forwards: Sidney Crosby, Kyle Chipchura, Dustin Boyd, Gilbert Brule, Wojtek Wolski, Brock Bradford, Bryan Little, Andrew Cogliano, Ryan O'Marra, David Bolland, Alex Bourret, Benoit Pouliot.

Last edited:

AgentNaslund*

Canada is gonna have a strong depth. Screw expierence.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Puckhead said:
Cocky has very little to do with it. The Canadians back it all up on the ice. Now no one is picking Canada to repeat next year, but anything can happen. Besides, I respect every team and every fan of every country, but you don't really think Norway makes the top 3 do you?

Relax. I think he was being humorous :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad