2006 Redraft

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Nah, I'm ok with what happened. Changing anything then, changes from then to now. Maybe for the worse, maybe for the better. There's no telling.

Edit: Thinking about what I would have changed in a draft reminds me of the scene in "About Time" when he goes back to save his sister and comes back to his daughter suddenly turning into a son and he didn't like that time had a cause and effect to it, so he goes back and lets his sister get in a car accident.

Pens needed car accidents to get to where they are, if we had Toews, maybe the team plays so well that Bylsma being an idiot is masked by it and he's fired after far too many seasons later and we've missed out on our latest back 2 back or keeping Jake or Murray or etc.

This ain't Marvel, leave "what would I change" to movies.

Last edited:

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Staal was fine.

My choice was Backstrom at the time. Great enough to be Ovys center for a number of years but also look good on RW so I figured he would be great with Sid or Malkin.

I remember people hating JT because his skating was so ugly for NDak.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I was extremely adamant about going for Kessel at the time.

The reasoning was that there were five consensus top tier players. One was a defenseman who would be gone. Four others were centers but only one projected as a wing and the best scoring touch of them all, Kessel. We had Crosby and Malkin and didn't need another number one center.

Ironic that we eventually got Kessel.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I wanted Toews, I thought he could be converted into a winger for Sid. I remember a lot of this board liking Backstrom as well. I didn't like Kessel at the time. His interviews were even more awkward back then and I didn't find them endearing like I do now, I found them uncomfortable to listen to.

Like others have said though, that pick allowed us to win 3 cups. Maybe Toews helps win in '09 like Staal did, but considering the contract he got he very well could have handcuffed this team cap-wise to the point where they never could get Kessel and maybe they don't win 3, who knows.

Reactions: Giskard

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
I was extremely adamant about going for Kessel at the time.

The reasoning was that there were five consensus top tier players. One was a defenseman who would be gone. Four others were centers but only one projected as a wing and the best scoring touch of them all, Kessel. We had Crosby and Malkin and didn't need another number one center.

Ironic that we eventually got Kessel.
In June 2006 Malkin was still far from being a sure thing to come to the NHL, he had not "defected" to the Finnish border yet, so maybe a center with wing capability would had been the safe bet I presume.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
In June 2006 Malkin was still far from being a sure thing to come to the NHL, he had not "defected" to the Finnish border yet, so maybe a center with wing capability would had been the safe bet I presume.

I was just saying what I had argued very strongly at the time.

Reactions: Giskard

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I don't mess with the butterfly effect. I'm keeping the 3 cups.

Agreed, it Is a fool's errand.

The undeniable fact is that of the four forwards that they could choose from and who they considered at pick two, they chose the worst of the bunch.

You can only judge a choice in and of itself.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Staal may be the worst out of the top 5 from that draft, but he was a huge factor in the 2009 cup run, and he fetched us 2 major pieces for the '16 and '17 cup runs.

I wouldn't change a thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->