2006 projected Olympic rosters, from 1998

Status
Not open for further replies.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
In the outstanding hockey encyclopedia Total Hockey which came out in 1998, there was an article about the 1998 Nagano Olympics and looked ahead to the 2002 and 2006 Olympics and projected what the rosters would look like. They correctly predicted 13 of the roster spots for the Canadian 2002 team, which is pretty good considering it was done 3 or 4 years in advance; but imagine how tough it would be to predict the rosters 7 or 8 years in advance, when nobody currently 25 or under was even in the NHL yet.

I thought it would be interesting to look at what they picked for the 2006 team back then. It looks like they`ll have 8 correct selections here, possibly 1 or 2 more. This isn`t meant to be a critique of the list, just a reminder of how often the can`t miss prospects actually do miss.

Canada:

Martin Brodeur
Marc Denis
Roberto Luongo

Chris Pronger
Scott Neidermayer
Kyle McLaren
Ed Jovanovski
Eric Brewer
Richard Jackman
Derek Morris

Paul Kariya
Eric Lindros
Jeff Friesen
Mike Peca
Jarome Iginla
Ryan Smyth
Eric Daze
Joe Thornton
Brendan Morrison
Rob Niedermayer
Vincent Lecavalier
Rico Fata
Chris Gratton

Here`s the U.S.A. predictions, which look to be far less accurate:

Jim Carey
Brian Boucher
Jean-Marc Pelletier

Derian Hatcher
Bryan Berard
Scott Lachance
Paul Mara
Nik Tselios
Mike McBain
Brad Winchester

Keith Tkachuk
Jamie Langenbrunner
Steve Konowalchuk
Adam Deadmarsh
Brian Rolston
David Legwand
Eric Rasmussen
Matt Cullen
Tim Connolly
Ty Jones
Chris Drury
Marty Reasoner
Scott Gomez

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
reckoning said:
Here`s the U.S.A. predictions, which look to be far less accurate:

Jim Carey
Brian Boucher
Jean-Marc Pelletier

Derian Hatcher
Bryan Berard
Scott Lachance
Paul Mara
Nik Tselios
Mike McBain
Brad Winchester

Keith Tkachuk
Jamie Langenbrunner
Steve Konowalchuk
Adam Deadmarsh
Brian Rolston
David Legwand
Eric Rasmussen
Matt Cullen
Tim Connolly
Ty Jones
Chris Drury
Marty Reasoner
Scott Gomez
Jim Carey... :biglaugh:
Is Pelletier even close to ever coming back to the NHL? (Yes, I know he's in the AHL somewhere - don't have the exact location at the moment)
Nik Tselios, Mike McBain, Brad Winchester, Matt Cullen, Marty Reasoner, .... man, they weren't kidding when they said the U.S. team would suck in 2006.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
trahans99 said:
Rico Fata :biglaugh: I loved watching that guy in jr. what the heck happend to him??? I know he just got waived by the Pens.

Yes he did.

Cos he's horrible. :shakehead

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Rico Fata could have played for Italy, if the lockout continued, and he remained in Italy for this season I believe (I think you need to be a player for 2 seasons in a particular country, and have some background from that country to be IIHF eligible to play for that country).

Was Brad Winchester originally a defenseman? I find it somewhat amazing that they project him to make the USA team, but also as a defenseman. He must have had some good hype in junior or something.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Those projections don't take into account fresly-drafted youth.

As you can see some younger Canadians are tearing it up and earning their spots on the roster.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Team Canada's predictions are pretty good IMO... most of those guys are still pretty good players... and all are still playing.

USA has some guys I haven't heard of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad