2006 Olympic Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
I really think it's in the NHL's best interest to have them there. This is where they get there most exposure and people always love Olympic hockey. With their damaged rep this would be a step in the right direction in healing public relations.

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
Jovanovski = Norris said:
The problem is that the games will be in European time and either the networks broadcast the games live when most North Americans are asleep or broadcast them via tape-recording, which means the games will be lagged by around 12 hours.

If the games are played in the evening, say 8pm central european time, then the game would be on 2pm eastern standard time, or 11 am pacific. Same as the world championships. Most North Americans shouldn't be asleep, but they may have to get a few hours off work! Of course some games may be played in the afternoon local time, so that could make things more difficult for people on the west coast.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Westlander said:
If the games are played in the evening, say 8pm central european time, then the game would be on 2pm eastern standard time, or 11 am pacific. Same as the world championships. Most North Americans shouldn't be asleep, but they may have to get a few hours off work! Of course some games may be played in the afternoon local time, so that could make things more difficult for people on the west coast.

Isn't schools and stuff like that off during the Olympiques? Atleast in Sweden factorys ect. work nightshifts if Olympics games are played in the morning.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Rabid Ranger said:
I don't believe I've seen this article posted before: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/allen/2005-05-21-rink-rap_x.htm

It highlights the issues facing the U.S. if NHL players aren't able to suit up in the Olympics. Kevin Allen suggests Phil Kessel, amongst other youngsters, could be a possibility.

If thats the case I am sure that their will be atleast a handful of holdouts. Allot of contracts are up once a new CBA is signed. Everyone won't get what they want. I would be really suprised if USA and Canada still wouldn't have a few marquee players.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Big Phil said:
And anyone thinking Primeau or Morrow or Maltby should be there should jump off a cliff.

I'm not saying whether or not he should be there or not. It will all depend on who is the coach and who is playing the best. I'm just saying that if Ken Hitchcock is the head coach of team Canada, Keith Primeau and Simon Gagne will be the first 2 guys on the team.

WC Handy*

Tricolore#20 said:
Even if he tears both legs, gets a grade A concussion and has a pregnant wife? ;)

Given the other options available, he'd probably still be on the team. :)

WC Handy*

CDeeps said:
Well he didn't make the World Championship roster, and he was readily available. I think some of you are forgetting that USA Hockey has decided to turn a new leaf and pass the torch to the younger generation.

1. The World Championships aren't the Olympics. They won't be sending a mediocre team to the Olympics just so some younger players can get some international experience.

2. Tkachuk hadn't played all year long so that certainly weighed into their decision on what older players to ask.

The old guys who put up a less than spirited performance in the 2004 World Cup generally won't be coming back

Certainly you aren't insinuating that Tkachuk put up a less than spirited performance in the 2004 World Cup. He only led the entire tournament in goals scored and the team in scoring.

1. As of this moment, Liles, Leopold, and Martin are seen as the core of the future US blueline, with Brian Rafalski the veteran leader of the pack. There are also younger guys coming up like Ryan Suter and Mark Stuart. Chris Chelios, Derian Hatcher and Mathieu Schneider won't be wearing the USA sweater anymore. Hatcher and Schneider definitly rubbed USA Hockey the wrong way when they withdrew from the World Cup because of insurance complicities and a contract squabble, respectively. And Tom Poti? What?

You're kidding yourself if you think that they're going to field lesser players just because of this nonsense. If they feel Hatcher is a better player for the team than Leopold then they're going to invite him.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Hatcher and Leopold are both good enough to make the team..

Leetch. Chelios (?)
Hatcher. Rafalski
Leopold. Schneider

The only questionable veteran would be Chelios at 40-something years old and maaybe Schneider. The rest of the core will be there.

Sweden's defensive core looks stacked again..

Lidstrom. Ohlund
Norstrom. Johnsson
Jonsson. Tarnstrom

Czechs probably have the best lineup next to Canada again

Elias. Lang. Jagr
Prospal. Straka. Hejduk
Havlat. Nedved. Sykora
Rucinsky. Holik. Dvorak

Zidlicky. Kubina
Hamrlik. Modry
Fischer. Klesla

Vokoun. Hasek. Cechmanek

It's going to be tough for Finland to pick 3 goalies between Kipprusoff, Toskala, Lehtonen, and Nurminen..

and IMO Russia should start including at least 1-2 defensive players for Fedorov to work the penalty kill with. I'm thinking Zubrus/Brylin instead of Afinegenov on the 4th line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->