2006 Olympic Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
wilka91 said:
The fact is that Khabibulin wants to play at the Olympics, he always repeats it.
Ok, so then we know about Kabi (which is great), but not about the others. I remember the last Olympics and it wasn't at all a so easy process and it seems to me not only Zubov and Mogilny refused (Fedorov complied only in the end btw..). And we don't know if Larionov will be the GM or not.

Well, fact is probably this argument will be pointless as probably NHL players won't be there :madfire:
so maybe we should talk about which Russian players could be there even if the NHL resumes and doesn't let its players to play..
Malkin should stay one more year in RSL right?
More difficult for Ovechkin (even if it seems there was that Metallurg offer..).
Any veteran that could stay in the RSL even if the NHL resumes? V.Kozlov? Afi?

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
SensGuy said:
The Olympics are still a good ways away. I don't know about Crosby, but I think Spezza has a shot after the season he just had.

I'm not sure Spezza is fast enough for the olympic ice. Crosby definitely would be, but it's not his time yet.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
If NHL players aren't allowed to play in the 06 games because of no cba. Does it mean the USA and Canada is basically sending atleast half of their junior team with some AHLers? The European Countries have pro leagues to fill roster spots that NHLers would have. If USA and Canada send basically their junior team how would the NCAA and CHL teams feel to give up there stars and in a middle of a playoff run. It is no win for each side. I don't think a junior team would be able to compete with Russia full of men. It would be entertaining to watch but Russia would blow them up. I think a junior team could compete with the Italties of the world.

If NHLers are allowed I think Crosby should go as a 4th liner. Put him in during the Italies in the world to give him practice against men.

WC Handy*

CDeeps said:
This would be my 2006 Turin Olympics Team USA lineup:

FORWARDS:
C
Mike Modano
Doug Weight
Scott Gomez
David Legwand

LW
Richard Park
Erik Cole
Dustin Brown
Adam Hall

RW
Mike Knuble
Mark Parrish
Brian Gionta
Jamie Langenbrunner

Spares
Zach Parise
Mike York

DEFENSE
Hal Gill
John-Michael Liles
Jordan Leopold
Brian Rafalski
Paul Martin
Brooks Orpik
extra: Aaron Miller or Ryan Suter

GOAL
Rick DiPietro
Robert Esche
Ty Conklin

There's no chance in hell that Tkachuk doesn't make the roster.

HockeyMan9

Jul 1, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
SPORTSMANIAC said:
If NHL players aren't allowed to play in the 06 games because of no cba. Does it mean the USA and Canada is basically sending atleast half of their junior team with some AHLers? The European Countries have pro leagues to fill roster spots that NHLers would have. If USA and Canada send basically their junior team how would the NCAA and CHL teams feel to give up there stars and in a middle of a playoff run. It is no win for each side. I don't think a junior team would be able to compete with Russia full of men. It would be entertaining to watch but Russia would blow them up. I think a junior team could compete with the Italties of the world.

If NHLers are allowed I think Crosby should go as a 4th liner. Put him in during the Italies in the world to give him practice against men.

If there were no CBA then i believe players playing in Europe would be eligible to play, in 2000 Gretzky told Eric Lindros that if he wasn't playing in the NHL he'd have to go play in Europe to be eligible for the Olympic team.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
WC Handy said:
Yeah, and is it just me or do those wingers look a bit on the weak side for an olympic team? I'm sure the US has better guys than Hall, Brown, and Park.

Tkachuk. Modano. Guerin
Drury. Gomez. Knuble
Rolston. Weight. Langenbrunner
McEachern. Conroy. Blake

Hatcher. Leetch
Schneider. Rafalski
Leopold. Poti

Dipietro. Esche
Conklin

And there are still guys like Hull/Chelios ( might be too old ), Amonte, LeClair, Smolinski, Halpern, Gionta, and Konowalchuk.

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
WC Handy said:

Well he didn't make the World Championship roster, and he was readily available. I think some of you are forgetting that USA Hockey has decided to turn a new leaf and pass the torch to the younger generation. The old guys who put up a less than spirited performance in the 2004 World Cup generally won't be coming back, with the exceptions of torch bearers Weight and Modano. I can cite some articles if you'd like, but I'll state a few thoughts outright:

1. As of this moment, Liles, Leopold, and Martin are seen as the core of the future US blueline, with Brian Rafalski the veteran leader of the pack. There are also younger guys coming up like Ryan Suter and Mark Stuart. Chris Chelios, Derian Hatcher and Mathieu Schneider won't be wearing the USA sweater anymore. Hatcher and Schneider definitly rubbed USA Hockey the wrong way when they withdrew from the World Cup because of insurance complicities and a contract squabble, respectively. And Tom Poti? What?

2. Hall, Brown and Park are seen as great character guys and they've always shown up for Team USA. (Bear in mind that USA Hockey now plans to reward players based on loyalty) Park seems to thrive on the big Olympic ice. He really impressed his coaches and teamates these past few weeks, even though he was hobbled by an injury. I wouldn't refer to Dustin Brown as weak. Yes, he's young, but he's projected to develop into a goal-scoring power forward. He had a fantastic year with the Manch Monarchs.

3. The Golden Brett might not even play for Phoenix, nevermind the 2006 Olympics. He's apparently lost motivation to play hockey. Plus, he got benched by Ron Wilson at the World Cup and reacted by telling the fans to screw themselves.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
First of all, Markus Näslund, Mikael Nylander and Mattias Norström have stated that they won't play for Tre Kronor any more.

If healty Forsberg, Påhlsson, Alfie, Z, Sundin, PJ Axelsson and Jörgen Jönsson are locks upfront. Fredrik Modin, Mikael Samuelsson, Sedin*2, Jonte Hedström and Thomas Holmström are probably really close to beeing locks in BÅ Gustavsson's eyes. Thats 13 forwards.

Long shoots are Marcus Nilsson(A player type Sweden really needs. But he haven't been impressive in the SEL or when he have played on the nationalteam. He is not that mobile on big ice.), Mikael Renberg(If he can get back in shape, where he was 2000-2001. Seems really unlikely), Nisse Ekman(He is not that popular, he also sucked in the SHG...) and Kristian Huselius(If you look at the Swe national team in 3-4 years we will need someone with Kristians abilitys on the team. He is a longshoot this year though...). I would presonally like to experiment with Huselius and Sundin on the same line. Don't belive that will happend though.

Forsberg-PÃ¥hlsson-Alfredsson//A perfect line! Heavy on the fore check, Forsberg should always be on the ice with the best finnisher on the team.
Zetterberg-Sundin-Modin//Maybe not the "perfect" enviorment for Sundin. Mats kind of needs smart players to create room for him, like Mikael Andersson. But this would be a good line! Zetterberg-Sundin-Huselius would have much more potential...
Sedin-Sedin-Samuelsson
Axelsson-Jönsson-Hedström
Holmström//Could be a energy player. Starting the tournament on the bench.

On D I would only say that Öhlund, Bäckman and Kronwall are locks if they are healty. Lidström, well he just haven't performed on Tre Kronor the last 3 years. Think he should be a lock IMO on a pairing with Kronwall though. I also like Daniel Tjärnqvist and K. Johnsson. Don't have a clue who BÅG will prefer here. We don't have much depth on D now with Norström turning down TK...

Öhlund-Bäckman
Lidström-Kronwall//The Red Wing connection
Tjärnqvist-K. Johnsson//Been great on big ice before.
Tärnström

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
Ola said:
First of all, Markus Näslund, Mikael Nylander and Mattias Norström have stated that they won't play for Tre Kronor any more.

If healty Forsberg, Påhlsson, Alfie, Z, Sundin, PJ Axelsson and Jörgen Jönsson are locks upfront. Fredrik Modin, Mikael Samuelsson, Sedin*2, Jonte Hedström and Thomas Holmström are probably really close to beeing locks in BÅ Gustavsson's eyes. Thats 13 forwards.

Long shoots are Marcus Nilsson(A player type Sweden really needs. But he haven't been impressive in the SEL or when he have played on the nationalteam. He is not that mobile on big ice.), Mikael Renberg(If he can get back in shape, where he was 2000-2001. Seems really unlikely), Nisse Ekman(He is not that popular, he also sucked in the SHG...) and Kristian Huselius(If you look at the Swe national team in 3-4 years we will need someone with Kristians abilitys on the team. He is a longshoot this year though...). I would presonally like to experiment with Huselius and Sundin on the same line. Don't belive that will happend though.

Forsberg-PÃ¥hlsson-Alfredsson//A perfect line! Heavy on the fore check, Forsberg should always be on the ice with the best finnisher on the team.
Zetterberg-Sundin-Modin//Maybe not the "perfect" enviorment for Sundin. Mats kind of needs smart players to create room for him, like Mikael Andersson. But this would be a good line! Zetterberg-Sundin-Huselius would have much more potential...
Sedin-Sedin-Samuelsson
Axelsson-Jönsson-Hedström
Holmström//Could be a energy player. Starting the tournament on the bench.

On D I would only say that Öhlund, Bäckman and Kronwall are locks if they are healty. Lidström, well he just haven't performed on Tre Kronor the last 3 years. Think he should be a lock IMO on a pairing with Kronwall though. I also like Daniel Tjärnqvist and K. Johnsson. Don't have a clue who BÅG will prefer here. We don't have much depth on D now with Norström turning down TK...

Öhlund-Bäckman
Lidström-Kronwall//The Red Wing connection
Tjärnqvist-K. Johnsson//Been great on big ice before.
Tärnström

Looks like a good team. But I have only read in Aftonbladet that Norström turns down TK. And that is NOT a reliable source. I actually think Norström we'll be in the Olympics and he's really needed. Your defence is to weak in it's own end. They never be able to protect the net from someone like Bertuzzi, Iginla or Tkachuk. Norström is needed and I would pick Tallinder before Tjärnqvist and even Tärnström!

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
SPORTSMANIAC said:
If NHL players aren't allowed to play in the 06 games because of no cba.
If there is no CBA, why wouldn't they be allowed to play in the Olympics when many of them play pro hockey in Europe all season ?

SPORTSMANIAC said:
Does it mean the USA and Canada is basically sending atleast half of their junior team with some AHLers? The European Countries have pro leagues to fill roster spots that NHLers would have.
There are pro leagues in Europe, and they have Canadian and American players too, so if there is NHL hockey next season, the olympic team would probably rely mostly on those players, especially with the games being in Europe. I think the Canadian team at the Spengler Cup is an indication of what the olympic team would look like. Preparing for the Olympics was officially the reason why Team Canada had no NHLers at the tournament this winter.

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
jekoh said:
If there is no CBA, why wouldn't they be allowed to play in the Olympics when many of them play pro hockey in Europe all season ?

There are pro leagues in Europe, and they have Canadian and American players too, so if there is NHL hockey next season, the olympic team would probably rely mostly on those players, especially with the games being in Europe. I think the Canadian team at the Spengler Cup is an indication of what the olympic team would look like. Preparing for the Olympics was officially the reason why Team Canada had no NHLers at the tournament this winter.
If you're correct on what you say, I can't see why we would ice a team similar to that of the Spengler Cup when there's players like Thornton, Nash, St. Louis, Morrison, Heatley, etc. all playing over in Europe and would be available to play in the Olympics. Even with what you said in the last sentence, I can't see why they would choose those bums over the guys I just mentioned.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
big_steve said:
If you're correct on what you say, I can't see why we would ice a team similar to that of the Spengler Cup when there's players like Thornton, Nash, St. Louis, Morrison, Heatley, etc. all playing over in Europe and would be available to play in the Olympics.
I was talking about a situation where the NHLers are not allowed to play.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The NHL and NHLPA should make the olympics a top priority in any situation. It's a big tv draw and good hockey and since it's on NBC along with their network deal it could lead to more advertising revenue and greater promotoin from the network.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Hasbro said:
The NHL and NHLPA should make the olympics a top priority in any situation. It's a big tv draw and good hockey and since it's on NBC along with their network deal it could lead to more advertising revenue and greater promotoin from the network.

The problem is that the games will be in European time and either the networks broadcast the games live when most North Americans are asleep or broadcast them via tape-recording, which means the games will be lagged by around 12 hours.

BATJAM

Jan 14, 2005
Bertuzzi-Sakic-Iginla
St.Louis-Thornton-Nash
Richards-LeCavalier-Heatley
Smyth-Marleau-Doan

extras-Gagne, Maltby, Draper, Lemieux if healthy

Pronger-Niedermayer
Blake-Foote
Jovanovski-Redden

extras-Regher, Brewer, Boyle

Brodeur
Luongo

extras-Turco, Theodore

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Jovanovski = Norris said:
The problem is that the games will be in European time and either the networks broadcast the games live when most North Americans are asleep or broadcast them via tape-recording, which means the games will be lagged by around 12 hours.

Real sportfans watch events in the middle of the night. When US had the WC of soccer a billion of people saw the final in the middle of the night.

BTW have you ever seen a sport event at night? Its the best time IMO. Nothing a thing can disturb you.

Also when the game is played in italy the games would be on in the morning in NA, probably 10 am and 2 pm eastern time. That would mean only a few hours of tape delay, if necessary...

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
If NHL players aren't used in the Olympics, the Americans probably will look first to Europe, where defensemen Peter Ratchuk, Barry Richter and Brett Hauer are playing well. Mark Beaufait, Kelly Fairchild and Brett Harkins also have good careers going in Europe and would get a look.
Peter Ratchuk?! God save us!

Regardless of tv, it would be a million times worse to make up a team of scrubs. I'd rather send college kids again.

The league needs to shutdown long enough for players to compete in the prelims.

Alot of this isn't about what will sell or get more viewers, it's about what's right.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Hasbro said:
Peter Ratchuk?! God save us!

Regardless of tv, it would be a million times worse to make up a team of scrubs. I'd rather send college kids again.

The league needs to shutdown long enough for players to compete in the prelims.

Alot of this isn't about what will sell or get more viewers, it's about what's right.

I know Ratchuk flamed out in the NHL, but he has played well in Europe, and that's all Kevin Allen was getting at. IMO, it would still be preferable to ice a team of competant veterans over mostly doe-eyed youngsters, but that's me. Let's hope it doesn't get to that........... :amazed:

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Big Phil said:
Its hard to say the roster but if the NHL goes to the Olympics then this is the most likely roster I think.

Brodeur
Luongo
Theodore

Pronger
Blake
Niedermayer
Redden
Jovanovski
Bouwmeester
Regehr

Sakic
Lemieux
Thornton
Iginla
St. Louis
Lecavalier
Richards
Heatley
Nash
Smyth
Draper
Doan
Marleau

If Mario doesnt play for whatever reason then I say see how the first half of the NHL season is going and then decide on a player. That's how Iginla got picked in '02. I'm not a big Marleau fan, but he has to be on there until the NHL resumes and you see who develops. And if Crosby is hot and is in the Top 5 in scoring lets say, how could you not pick him? He may not be, but if there was a team to be picked for the 1980 Olympics I think Gretzky would have been on that team. He was on the '81 Canada Cup at 20! But in reality Sid may not be ready, so Spezza might be a better 13th forward. As for Yzerman I love him but he wont be there. And anyone thinking Primeau or Morrow or Maltby should be there should jump off a cliff.

It's hard to believe the ignorance of the people who STILL leave Gagne off these things.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
A lot will hinge on what happens in the next month or so. You are talking about actually close to a month the NHL would have to be shut down because you know there would have to be a short time before the games for the teams to be able to assemble and have some sort of a camp and then you would have to allow a few days for travel afterwards since it's in Europe for the players to get organized and adjusted back to their NHL teams- it would not be like Salt Lake which was right here. It's going to be a tough sell to a lot of the owners and not just Bettman to have the league shut down next season for that long after this year's loss. That said, I think the players will still push hard for it- if they make a lot of progress in the next few weeks the owners may decide it is not worth the fight on this and let the union have this arguement- it would be nice to see NHLers there but right now I bet it's less than 50/50 we see them there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->