2006 Olympic Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
John Flyers Fan said:
At the WJC he wasn't as good as Bergereon or Carter, and chances are neither of them will be on the team. Sid will be ready in 2010.

In a normal year Bergeron and Carter would have been in the NHL and not released by their teams for the WJC's. Arguably either of these guys could make the team with better than average development for their ages.

Sid may have to improve slightly more. All indications are that he will to anyone paying attention.

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Dan Boyle should play, dunno which shape Blake will be and Foote is not even near the same class as Boyle even if they are different defensive players.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
There something wrong with Stevens? Injured?

I'm going to go out on a limb and just put together the lineup that I want ( not neccessarily what I think will happen ).

Bertuzzi. Lemieux (A). Heatley
St. Louis. Sakic(A). Iginla
Smyth(A). Thornton. Doan
Gagne/Morrow. Peca/Richards. Yzerman (C)

Pronger. Niedermeiyer
Redden. Blake
Jovanovski ( Stevens? ). Foote

Brodeur. Luongo

Spares: Gagne/Morrow, Peca/Richards, Bouwmeester, Joseph

Personally I think Lemieux is still a lock if he's healthy, and he'd be even more amazing playing with Bertuzzi. I also think Peca is MUCH better than Draper, I like Cujo better than Theodore ( Belfour too but he's probably injured ), and I just think Yzerman deserves the C on any team. He oozes more leadership than the rest of the team combined ( which is really saying something with the likes of Sakic, Lemieux, Smyth ).

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sakaarnis said:
Its too early to speak about if Olympics will have NHL players or not. As long as i recall, Batman said that if lockout will not be over by next seson, not a single NHL player will play in Turin.

If there is no CBA, they won't have to worry as they'll all be there.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Sweden looks amazing with Lidstrom, Ohlund, Norstrom, Johnsson, Tarnstrom, and Johnson on the blueline. I think Russia should at least have 1 or 2 defensive guys ( Brylin. Fedorov. Zubrus? ), and that the Czech lineup will be 2nd to Canada again.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
2agingmonk said:
There something wrong with Stevens? Injured?

I'm going to go out on a limb and just put together the lineup that I want ( not neccessarily what I think will happen ).

Bertuzzi. Lemieux (A). Heatley
St. Louis. Sakic(A). Iginla
Smyth(A). Thornton. Doan
Gagne/Morrow. Peca/Richards. Yzerman (C)

Pronger. Niedermeiyer
Redden. Blake
Jovanovski ( Stevens? ). Foote

Brodeur. Luongo

Spares: Gagne/Morrow, Peca/Richards, Bouwmeester, Joseph

Personally I think Lemieux is still a lock if he's healthy, and he'd be even more amazing playing with Bertuzzi. I also think Peca is MUCH better than Draper, I like Cujo better than Theodore ( Belfour too but he's probably injured ), and I just think Yzerman deserves the C on any team. He oozes more leadership than the rest of the team combined ( which is really saying something with the likes of Sakic, Lemieux, Smyth ).
Cujo better than Theo? Not now.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
You can be garunteed that the Thronton/Nash/Gagne line will be back together.
Here is my Olympic team:
Gagne/Thornton/Nash
Iginla/Sakic/Doan
St-Louis/Richards/Bertuzzi
Heatley/Lecalvier/Smyth
Niedermayer/Pronger
Foote/Blake
Bouwmeester/Brewer
Redden/Phillips
Brodeur/Luongo/Theodore (in that order???)
Alternates: Boyle/Regher/Stuart/Marleau/Crosby/Tanguay :propeller

HF_Rangers

Jan 16, 2004
Winston-Salem, NC
Olympic Groupings

Group A: Canada, Czech Republic, Finland, Germany, Italy, and Switzerland

Group B: Kazakshtan, Latvia, Russia, Slovakia, Sweden, and the United States.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Hedberg16 said:
Olympic Hockey with NHL players is the most entertaining hockey I have ever seen. They are close games where are the players are trying as hard as they can to win.

Reasons why I think the NHL players will be at the Olympics.

a) If there is no CBA by October, there probably will not be one by Febuary
I think there will be one by October, and if that's not the case, i think there will be one by February.

Hedberg16 said:
b) The olympics are an very popular event involving sports people usually wouldn't watch (curling, skiing, etc). If the NHL is smart (although they are not) they would send there players there to show how exciting hockey really is (especially if the Oympics are in HD).
:cry:

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
wilka91 said:
All I can say is that Russia will have a heck of a team. We had a short glimpse of that in this tourney.
I know for sure that no one will turn down an invitation to play at the Olympics (except Mogilny and Zubov)
How can you be that sure after recent history? Would you please care to explain how you can know it for sure?? (note that i am praying for you to be right!)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
No one knows who is going until a coach is picked.

If Ken Hitchock is picked, Keith Primeau is a lock :innocent:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Its hard to say the roster but if the NHL goes to the Olympics then this is the most likely roster I think.

Brodeur
Luongo
Theodore

Pronger
Blake
Niedermayer
Redden
Jovanovski
Bouwmeester
Regehr

Sakic
Lemieux
Thornton
Iginla
St. Louis
Lecavalier
Richards
Heatley
Nash
Smyth
Draper
Doan
Marleau

If Mario doesnt play for whatever reason then I say see how the first half of the NHL season is going and then decide on a player. That's how Iginla got picked in '02. I'm not a big Marleau fan, but he has to be on there until the NHL resumes and you see who develops. And if Crosby is hot and is in the Top 5 in scoring lets say, how could you not pick him? He may not be, but if there was a team to be picked for the 1980 Olympics I think Gretzky would have been on that team. He was on the '81 Canada Cup at 20! But in reality Sid may not be ready, so Spezza might be a better 13th forward. As for Yzerman I love him but he wont be there. And anyone thinking Primeau or Morrow or Maltby should be there should jump off a cliff.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
helicecopter said:
How can you be that sure after recent history? Would you please care to explain how you can know it for sure?? (note that i am praying for you to be right!)

I think he is right. Players don't turn down an Olympic invitation just like that. Even Khabibulin played for Russia in SLC!!!
Especially if Larionov becomes the GM. Nobody will turn it down!

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
The fact is that Khabibulin wants to play at the Olympics, he always repeats it.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Offcourse he wants! Everybody wants! Well, except those two suckers (Mogilny and Zubov). I never understood Zubov's reasons! Anyone knows what are his true reasons except ''we have to make room for the youngers'' ???

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Sakaarnis said:
dont you all think its way too early to predict rosters?

Not really, as it's fun :)

BTW: Great to see a Latvian here! (my wife is Latvian)
Team Latvia is my second most favourite team.

Sakaarnis

Dec 19, 2004
Bay of smokes
well, in that case we could make fantasy olympics. guess who is goin to get the gold. yea your right... Kazakhstan :D Anyway, im realy looking forward for Olympic games and it makes even more exciting as Latvia will participate in it for 2nd time in a row. First game will be against USA and im sure, its goin to be a blaster! As for rosters, im expecting alot from our 2 best prospects Karsums and Bartulis, rest is up to coach.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
canucksfan said:
Crosby or Spezza shouldn't make Team Canada. They both aren't good enough yet.
The Olympics are still a good ways away. I don't know about Crosby, but I think Spezza has a shot after the season he just had.

Canada_87

Dec 28, 2004
y projected Team Canada lineup:

Simon Gagne - Joe Sakic - Jarome Iginla
Brad Richards - Vincent Lecavalier - Martin St-Louis
Rick Nash - Joe Thornton - Todd Bertuzzi <----- :bow:
Dany Heatley - Patrick Marleau - Shane Doan
Smyth

Scott Niedermayer - Chris Pronger
Adam Foote - Rob Blake
Eric Brewer - Wade Redden
Jovanovski

Martin Brodeur
Roberto Luongo
Marty Turco

My projected Team Russia lineup:

Ilya Kovalchuk - Pavel Datsyuk - Alexei Kovalev
Alexander Ovechkin - Evgeni Malkin - Alexander Semin
Nikolai Zherdev - Alexei Zhamnov - Maxim Afinogenov
Alexander Frolov - Alexei Yashin - Viktor Kozlov
Kaigorodov

Sergei Gonchar - Anton Volchenkov
Danny Markov - Andrei Markov
Fedor Tjutin - Vladimir Malakhov
Grebeshkov

Nikolai Khabibulin
Evgeni Nabokov
Ilya Bryzgalov

Wow 7 of 13 forwards are named Alex. Must be confusing in the dressing room. "Alright Alex, you drive here and pass to Alex who will go around here and pass to Alex who will shoot from the point and Alex will try and deflect it."

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
SensGuy said:
The Olympics are still a good ways away. I don't know about Crosby, but I think Spezza has a shot after the season he just had.
The problem for Spezza is who will you take out for him. He won't be playing on the fourth line. You have Sakic, Thornton and Lecavailer as centers. If you put on the wing there's that same problem, you will you take off. The only possibilty I see, is if he's the 13th forward, however Canada usually takes a checking type player instead of a skilled forward.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I like Spezza but I don't think he'll suddenly improve enough in one year to be better than Lemieux, Sakic, Thornton, Lecavalier, or Richards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->