2006: Jesse Joensuu, Peter Mueller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
To be honest, I don't think I agree with ISS ranking those two over Kessel at this point. It's hard to imagine, even though I haven't seen Mueller or Joensuu. Kessel is just a gamebreaker who has accomplished more at this point than the other two. But that's just my bias thinking for me.

What I know about Mueller: he's a big guy, 6-2, 200 lbs... good skater, smart player with good playmaking ability/vision... committed to Minnesota.

Last edited:

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Mueller is playing as an underager ('88 birthdate) for the NTDP's U18 team. Last year he played with the U17 team and finished with around 40-45 points in 60+ games (usahockey.com took down the 03/04 NTDP stats). He seems to have picked it up a notch this year as he's got 6 goals and 12 points in 9 games which puts him third in team scoring (The leaders are '87 Jack Skille who has 7 goals and 16 points in 11 games and late '87 Phil Kessel who has 8 goals and 16 points in 8 games). Mueller missed the first few games against USHL and NAHL teams so most of the games he has played in have been against NCAA Div.1 opponents.

I've never seen him play but I've heard he has excellent potential.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Postman said:
To be honest, I don't think I agree with ISS ranking those two over Kessel at this point. It's hard to imagine, even though I haven't seen Mueller or Joensuu. Kessel is just a gamebreaker who has accomplished more at this point than the other two. But that's just my bias thinking for me.

What I know about Mueller: he's a big guy, 6-2, 200 lbs... good skater, smart player with good playmaking ability/vision... committed to Minnesota.

do you have any ideas/guesses where Kessel might commit too?

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
pavel datsyuk said:
do you have any ideas/guesses where Kessel might commit too?
From what I hear, it's down to Minnesota and Michigan, with Wisconsin a distant third. If I had to guess, I would say he goes to Minnesota. However, Kessel himself says it's between Minnesota, Michigan, BC, BU, ND, and Wisconsin.

Here's an article from today infact, which explains why I think he'll wind up a Gopher: http://www.startribune.com/stories/512/5043607.html

Another top '06 recruit that's uncommitted is Kyle Okposo, who is playing for Shattuck and is expected to wind up with Minnesota.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Postman said:
From what I hear, it's down to Minnesota and Michigan, with Wisconsin a distant third. If I had to guess, I would say he goes to Minnesota. However, Kessel himself says it's between Minnesota, Michigan, BC, BU, ND, and Wisconsin.

Here's an article from today infact, which explains why I think he'll wind up a Gopher: http://www.startribune.com/stories/512/5043607.html

Another top '06 recruit that's uncommitted is Kyle Okposo, who is playing for Shattuck and is expected to wind up with Minnesota.

well, for my sake, i hope he chooses Michigan, then i can see him play.

thanks for your help.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Postman said:

Jesse Joensuu's achievement
SM-Liiga stats , Porin Ässät
19. Joensuu Jesse GP13 : 0+0=0 +1 -1=0 PIM 2

Joensuu has played in all but one SM-Liiga game for his team so far this season. For someone only being drafted in 2006, that's HUGE!
To compare:
Tukonen, Nokelainen and Korpikoski who were drafted this last draft (2004) have: Tukonen 14 games 4 pts, Korpikoski 13 games 2 points, Nokelainen 13 games 2 points

Joensuu would be making huge numbers in junior hockey if he was there, too bad he's so good he copes in SM-Liiga.

He was the youngest ever player to play in SM-Liiga and though yet to start accumulating points, every minute he spends on the ice now is giving him huge strides. you can't compare the levels these guys play at, Joensuus' on an infinetely tougher level now, and doing well.

That's huge. That's why ISS has him #1.

What you said about Muller, you can say about Joensuu, except make it 6-3, same weight, getting a boatload of experience playign against men while he's still a teenager.

gib

Feb 3, 2004
Raimo Sillanpää said:
you can't compare the levels these guys play at, Joensuus' on an infinetely tougher level now, and doing well.

Yep, the levels can`t be compared. But if you think which is the closest level of the game compared to SM-lliga in NA, it`s AHL. Maybe SM-liiga isn`t that good at the moment and it`s little different. Less physical, but not so faraway in skills. Anyway the level in which Joensuu plays is close to AHL.
Then you can think that how Mueller or Keller would do in AHL at this age.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Still playing against men and not kids... Even if it was say the german second league it would still be better than the juniors, coming straight from the juniors to the NHL is purely a guessing game and you have observe the player in his games more. In the SM-liiga he has to EARN every minute to play from experienced players and much much better goaltending and better defensive strategies than in the junior leagues.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Strizzi said:
Is Peter Mueller an American? There's hardly any name that's more Swiss than this one.

Yeah, he's American. He plays for the U.S. National Team Development Program.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Raimo Sillanpää said:
Jesse Joensuu's achievement
SM-Liiga stats , Porin Ässät
19. Joensuu Jesse GP13 : 0+0=0 +1 -1=0 PIM 2

Joensuu has played in all but one SM-Liiga game for his team so far this season. For someone only being drafted in 2006, that's HUGE!
To compare:
Tukonen, Nokelainen and Korpikoski who were drafted this last draft (2004) have: Tukonen 14 games 4 pts, Korpikoski 13 games 2 points, Nokelainen 13 games 2 points

Joensuu would be making huge numbers in junior hockey if he was there, too bad he's so good he copes in SM-Liiga.

He was the youngest ever player to play in SM-Liiga and though yet to start accumulating points, every minute he spends on the ice now is giving him huge strides. you can't compare the levels these guys play at, Joensuus' on an infinetely tougher level now, and doing well.

That's huge. That's why ISS has him #1.

What you said about Muller, you can say about Joensuu, except make it 6-3, same weight, getting a boatload of experience playign against men while he's still a teenager.

While that is a fine accomplishment to play against men, he isn't putting up any points. And it's not like Kessel only plays against kids his age, as he faces NCAA teams all year long.

I could go on to argue Kessel's NTDP accomplishments, such as breaking the goal scoring record last year, having 2ppg this year, etc.. but like you said, the levels they play at can't be compared.

However, we can compare them when playing in the same tournament. Such as the U-18's, where Joensuu didn't do a whole lot, while Kessel was 5th in scoring, and tied for the lead in goals. He was said to be the best player behind only Malkin.

To me, playing against men and holding his own as a 6-3, 200 lb 17 year old doesn't say as much about Joensuu's talent level as it does his maturation level.

That said, I haven't seen him play, so I can't really say who is better or has higher upside.

Korkki

Mar 6, 2002
Pori, Finland
Postman said:
While that is a fine accomplishment to play against men, he isn't putting up any points. And it's not like Kessel only plays against kids his age, as he faces NCAA teams all year long.
Jesse's stats in junior A
5. Joensuu Jesse 4 2 + 3 = 5 +7 -7 0 2min 15shots 13,33shot%

So over one point per game. It is clearly the best among Finnish 1987 born boys. In SM-liiga he plays in 4th line checking role and has not produced any points YET. He has had only couple of chances to score, and he has organized a bit more chances to his linemates but they have missed too. I am 100% sure he will open his goal and assist streaks this season. He plays so mature game. Ässät has also had quite even matches so there is no possibility to give 4th line a powerplay job which would be possible if the game is 5-1 or like that...

EDIT: And that is just the guy in my avatar

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Korkki said:
Jesse's stats in junior A
5. Joensuu Jesse 4 2 + 3 = 5 +7 -7 0 2min 15shots 13,33shot%

So over one point per game. It is clearly the best among Finnish 1987 born boys.

A bit funny, 16-year old Swedish prospect Niklas Bäckström (Brynäs) is pretty much in the same situation. He is a late 87 and eligible to get drafted 2006, has become a regular lately in Brynäs (due to injuries though), but pretty much been the top player on the team the last two games playing on the Brynäs's 2nd line in the SEL (centering Finns Miettinen and Viitakoski).

He leads all Swedish 87's in the juniors having scored 5+4 in 7 games.
Oh, fun fact, Bäckström is the 4th youngest player to ever play in the SEL, only a few months older than Thomas Steen, Peter Madach and Mats Näslund.

D.Legwand

Jun 4, 2004
Minnesota
Postman said:

as a minnesotan, that post made me smile. best line of that article - Gophers coach Don Lucia, who can't comment on a specific recruit, did say, "We need another center." mueller has skill, but i think its the hype of kessel being such a top notch prospect, and people looking for weaknesses in his game that other players seem to get off easier.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Postman said:
To me, playing against men and holding his own as a 6-3, 200 lb 17 year old doesn't say as much about Joensuu's talent level as it does his maturation level.
That's one of the smartest things I've heard today.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
mattihp said:
That's one of the smartest things I've heard today.
Sarcasm?

I wasn't trying to take anything away from his talent level, as it obviously has something to do with his talent, being able to play against men as a 17 year old. But if he wasn't a mature, intelligent player, I think he'd probably still be in juniors.

I think that's the case for all young kids who play against older competition.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Postman said:
Sarcasm?

I wasn't trying to take anything away from his talent level, as it obviously has something to do with his talent, being able to play against men as a 17 year old. But if he wasn't a mature, intelligent player, I think he'd probably still be in juniors.

I think that's the case for all young kids who play against older competition.
Not sarcasm at all. It's so obvious, yet very few think of it. Early bloomers are not always the best talents. I do however think that it helps his career to get experience as fast as possible, but only if he earns it.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
mattihp said:
Not sarcasm at all. It's so obvious, yet very few think of it. Early bloomers are not always the best talents. I do however think that it helps his career to get experience as fast as possible, but only if he earns it.
Exactly. Another example of that is right in the USNTDP program, where Chad Morin was the first ever defensemen to play as an underager, yet fellow '88 Erik Johnson is considered to be the best '88 defensemen in the U.S.

As for Joensuu, I definitely think the experience will help him, but I don't think we'll see a lot from him this year. He'll take a while to not only adjust, but get the ice time he needs to flourish.

It's still very early for these kids though, obviously. But I always love following each draft a couple years ahead, to see who rises and falls.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Postman said:
As for Joensuu, I definitely think the experience will help him, but I don't think we'll see a lot from him this year. He'll take a while to not only adjust, but get the ice time he needs to flourish.
I don't know... The way Jesse plays indicates he can definitely hit 10-15 points already... With those puck handling skills of his, it wouldn't be much a surprise if mediocre (sorry Korkki :D) team Ässät gave him the fullout chance to play with the best they got and maybe even notch 20 points and have his confidence go up.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
mattihp said:
I don't know... The way Jesse plays indicates he can definitely hit 10-15 points already... With those puck handling skills of his, it wouldn't be much a surprise if mediocre (sorry Korkki :D) team Ässät gave him the fullout chance to play with the best they got and maybe even notch 20 points and have his confidence go up.
Well, you have a much better idea than I do... being able to see him play. Either way, I'll be checking out his stats from time to time to see how he's doin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad