2006 IIHF World U20 Championship awarded to Vancouver!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCCHL inactive

VANCOUVER (CP) - Vancouver has won the right to host the 2006 world junior hockey championship.

Hockey Canada made the announcement jointly with the Canadian Hockey League on Thursday at GM Place.

Vancouver was chosen from among five finalists, including Ottawa, Quebec City, Saskatoon and a joint bid from London and Kitchener, Ont.

Included in Vancouver's bid was the plan to hold pool games in Kamloops and Kelowna, with the medal-round games in Vancouver at both GM Place and Pacific Coliseum. Both the NHL's Canucks and the Western Hockey League's Giants are based in Vancouver.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/news_story.asp?id=70105

========================================

I'm glad Vancouver won the bid, but I don't quite understand Kamloops and Kelowna's involvement. Judging by this, it sounds as if Vancouver is only hosting medal games???

Also, listening to the TV on Sportsnet, Cranbrook is to be involved as well? If Cranbrook, why not Prince George? Cranbrook is just as far away.

Upchuck19

May 6, 2003
Visit site
Van you didn't beleive me when I said Kelowna and Kamloops were to get some games. As Nicholson said that was the biggest thing that got Vancouver the games making it a Provinicial event.

I haven't heard anything about Cranbrook?

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=12324&page=4&pp=15

Just to throw egg in your face, just joking around Van. Even though we won't get Team Canada in Kelowna or Kamloops, might get US or Russia, that would be dam good.

Bytown

Mar 8, 2003
This could come back to bite the cha.Vancouver will be a great host but will ever game be sold out is another question.Ottawa had ever game sold out and again if ever game is not sold out there are going to be alot of questions asked.

BCCHL inactive

jaydog2008 said:
This could come back to bite the cha.Vancouver will be a great host but will ever game be sold out is another question.Ottawa had ever game sold out and again if ever game is not sold out there are going to be alot of questions asked.

First of all, there is no CHA...it's Hockey Canada. ;)

Secondly, this tournament won't have any problem selling out anywhere in Canada. That is the reason why Kamloops and Kelowna are involved. A Germany vs. Sweden game wouldn't sell out GM Place of Pacific Coliseum, while it will sell out Sport Mart Place or Skyreach Place.

Upchuck, I heard Peter Loubardias mention Cranbrook on TV. It was obviously speculation on his part.

Reading the Prince George Citizen this morning, Jim Swanson revealed the likely reason why Prince George isn't involved, even for just some exhibition games...Rick Brodsky was the only WHL owner to vote against Ron Toigo getting expansion rights for Vancouver. He simply did not believe Toigo did enough with Tri City to prove he could make Vancouver work...and judging from what he did in Tri City, Brodsky had a case at the time.

Either way...does anybody know when the public can put a deposit on tickets? There is no way I miss this tournament.

Upchuck19

May 6, 2003
Visit site
Toigo screwed up the Ams franchise, and just now they are getting going from five or six years ago when they made a run for the Cup and they lost in the first round to Kamloops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->