2006 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalPunishment

Apr 9, 2004
Maryland
Say the Caps get a top 3 or top 5 pick...

Is there a good chance most of the high end draft picks this year can make the jump straight to the NHL and begin to make contributions?

I cant wait to see who the Caps draft. If we do get that top 3/5 pick, I think we desperately need a potential #1 play making center. But then again we need help between the pipes if Max O cant make a comeback

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
straight to NHL IMO:

Kessel, Frolik, Toews, Johnson, Little, Jouensuu (I think his game is more fit for NA style).

Guys who will be just as good but will need another year are:

Staal, Sheppard, Backman, Maxwell, Brassard.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
IMO I don't think any of the top players in this draft, including Kessel will be able to step in to the NHL right away. That doesn't mean I wouldn't draft Kessel, Frolik, Toews, Johnson, Mueller etc, but if I didn't have a chance at those guys, and I was a team like the Caps I might trade-down and go after a guy like Billy Sauer to address those long-term goaltending concerns.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Rabid Ranger said:
IMO I don't think any of the top players in this draft, including Kessel will be able to step in to the NHL right away. That doesn't mean I wouldn't draft Kessel, Frolik, Toews, Johnson, Mueller etc, but if I didn't have a chance at those guys, and I was a team like the Caps I might trade-down and go after a guy like Billy Sauer to address those long-term goaltending concerns.

I don't know...I really think Frolik and Jouensuu are NHL ready come draft time...Kessel might need some time to bulk up but I think Frolik and Jouensuu have the ability to go straight to.

Transported Upstater

Re: Erik Johnson: You won't see a guy from the US U-18's jump straight from the NTDP to pro hockey.

There is no player, IMO, available in the '06 draft who wouldn't benefit from at least another year playing in their present league.

X-SHARKIE

You want a playmaking #1 center? There is no better then Johnathan Toews, he's a solid skater but not the best, but he's big and rangey, and can slow the game down and his playmaking is superb.

Reminds me a bit of Eric Staal really. If he bulks up and adds strength, he could be more explosive.

He's a young pup though and isn't NHL ready for next year by any means IMO.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Frolik and Joensu come to mind Joensu simply b/c of his size and strength and Frolik b/c of his speed as well both have been playing against men already. Kessel may not be ready but probably will make the jump simply b/c of the hype around a 1st overall pick (it depends a lot on the team who picks him).

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
X-SHARKIE said:
You want a playmaking #1 center? There is no better then Johnathan Toews, he's a solid skater but not the best, but he's big and rangey, and can slow the game down and his playmaking is superb.

Reminds me a bit of Eric Staal really. If he bulks up and adds strength, he could be more explosive.

I have watched all of his games this year....and you hit that on the money. He will be something special in a few years.

AgentNaslund*

Jordon Staal.

6"4 210 pounds :eek: :amazed: as a 17 year old and still growing

Eric was 6'1 190 at draft day, and he was almost one year older then the average prospect.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
X-SHARKIE said:

Not any slight to Towes at all, but if I were the Caps, I'd take Little before him.

AgentNaslund*

Belfast Giants said:
Anyone able to shed some light on Mueller & Frolik and tell me a little about what kinda players they are?

I dont know about Frolik, But Mueller according to what the "Province" our local news paper said about him after a giants game, hes basically a gifted play maker beyond his years and great vision beyond his years, but without the dyanmics, great scoring abilities and toughness compared to Brule. Why they use Gilbert Brule as a comparison I have no idea.

Transported Upstater

AgentNaslund said:
I dont know about Frolik, But Mueller according to what the "Province" our local news paper said about him after a giants game, hes basically a gifted play maker beyond his years and great vision beyond his years, but without the dyanmics, great scoring abilities and toughness compared to Brule. Why they use Gilbert Brule as a comparison I have no idea.

Yeah, I agree, I don't see the relevance of Brule in that situation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad