2006 Draft- WHo's up/Who's Down?

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
I think the three with the most improvement are Kulemin, Milan Lucic and Jusso Puustinen....

philosophical___

Jan 28, 2007
Up:
Nikolai Kulemin - Top 10
Semen Varlamov - Top 15
Claude Giroux - Top 15
Leland Irving - Top 15

Down:
Mark Mitera - 2nd Round
Jonathan Bernier - 15-25
Derick Brassard - 15-20

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
I love how after Bernier's season you say he should drop. Have you watched him a single game or even looked at his stats?

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
For me, the only question about Backstrom is his goal-scoring ability. If he is a threat to score 35+ goals each year in the NHL then I expect he'll be the best player from this draft. He has unbelievable vision dishing the puck/making plays. But if he's not much of a threat to score goals then he'll just be a very good 2nd line NHL center which is no big deal.

It has to be tough to be an NHL scout.

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
Up:
Nikolai Kulemin - Top 10
Semen Varlamov - Top 15
Claude Giroux - Top 15
Leland Irving - Top 15

Down:
Mark Mitera - 2nd Round
Jonathan Bernier - 15-25
Derick Brassard - 15-20

Maybe you haven't realized but Bernier had/ still is having a much better season then Irving did. Brassard drops simply because of an injury? He came back and averaged a point per game after not playing for months

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
I would find it hard to believe if Berglund would fall out of the top 10-15, guy is definitely viewed as an elite level prospect by the Blues management.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
No love for petry? This kid will definitly be a steal when looking back on it in the future. Personally I dont have a huge crush on goaltenders regardless of there stats or play in the minor leauge. Unless they are bobby lou calibre and one of those guys that comes along once in a blue moon (MAF) then drafting goaltenders in the first round can be a huge risk.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
6. Okposo- Top freshman in the country. There was a stretch of time that he tore up the NCAA. Mueller is also worthy of this pick, though factors (like homerism), make me put Okposo ahead.

Blake Geoffrion, NSH- Dismal season at Wisconsin. Between him and Nigel Williams, I think some serious questions can be asked about Wisconsin's developing of prospects.

Don't know enough of the Geoffrion situation to comment...but Williams would only have cracked the lineup at Minnesota when the team went seriously shorthanded.

IMO many here have rated Okposo's play this year too high...even so, he remains the top tier prospect that he was last year.

Last edited:

Randall Graves*

Up:
Nikolai Kulemin - Top 10
Semen Varlamov - Top 15
Claude Giroux - Top 15
Leland Irving - Top 15

Down:
Mark Mitera - 2nd Round
Jonathan Bernier - 15-25
Derick Brassard - 15-20
Why should Mitera drop? He had a very good season, especially his second half where he was a beast in his own zone at even strength in particular. The Anaheim staff has nothing but positive things to say about him for the most part, I don't know why he always falls in these things.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I agree, Ryan White should be a top 30 pick, imho, as he has the most points in his respective team.

And, I thought that you didn't know him!!;) (based on other posts!).

But, seriously/honestly...you still don't think Ryan White can make the 2008 WJC Canadian team? And, you still don't think he is a strong candidate for the 3rd line? (maybe even the 2nd line?). (Toews & Bryan Little won't be there...so there will be more available spots, etc...).

BTW, Toews value is just sky rocketing right now!
To me (just my opinion), it's a 3 way TIE for 1st overall in 2006!!;):p: (Toews, Staal, E. Johnson...I would love to have any of the three, who wouldn't?!).
All 3 have equal value, just depends on what your team needs...

67dreamin

Apr 5, 2007
I have been thinking the same thing for some time...I think that Toews is pushing his stock higher and higher with his performance at the WC. Team Canada brass are very, very impressed. But given Johnson and Staal ahead it is difficult....Leaf Fans are very, very high on Kulemin given his development in Russia. I will believe it when I see it. I hope he is as good as people are suggesting. Tlusty struggled with a high ankle sprain but flourished in the playoffs. Wishart I am hearing has been fantastic this year, but have not seen play. Earlier this year, people were proclaiming Okposo the best prospect in the WCHA so cannot see him falling. Mueller people are saying will make the Coyotes and will be a player in the new year. Brassard and Sheppard I see might fall given injury difficulty but would not drop out of top 15. The biggest movement would happen from 15-30. Nigel Williams was being touted as a first round pick then fell to 2nd round. Had a great year in OHL so surely would move up. Ondrej Fiala may have moved up. Giroux and Foligno must move up given their success. Just a few names...but an interesting thread every year.

LeafsrGods*

And, I thought that you didn't know him!!;) (based on other posts!).

But, seriously/honestly...you still don't think Ryan White can make the 2008 WJC Canadian team? And, you still don't think he is a strong candidate for the 3rd line? (maybe even the 2nd line?). (Toews & Bryan Little won't be there...so there will be more available spots, etc...).

As i said, i hate the habs fan, not thier players or prospects.
And i do believe White has the potential to be a gifted defenseman and can make the WJC Team.:teach:

sandbox

Nov 6, 2005
For me, the only question about Backstrom is his goal-scoring ability. If he is a threat to score 35+ goals each year in the NHL then I expect he'll be the best player from this draft. He has unbelievable vision dishing the puck/making plays. But if he's not much of a threat to score goals then he'll just be a very good 2nd line NHL center which is no big deal.

It has to be tough to be an NHL scout.

I completely disagree with this..Since when does a NHL center have to score a lot to be a top line NHL center. ESPECIALLY with AO and Semin next to him...Backstrom will get 50 assists alone next year with just putting it on their tape. The guy is a future star, not 2nd line center.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I completely disagree with this..Since when does a NHL center have to score a lot to be a top line NHL center. ESPECIALLY with AO and Semin next to him...Backstrom will get 50 assists alone next year with just putting it on their tape. The guy is a future star, not 2nd line center.

Teams that win the Cup usually have a true #1 center leading the way. The Wings with Stevie Y, The Avs with Joe Sakic, TB with Lecavalier, Pitt with Mario, The Edmonton days with Gretzky and Messier, NYI with Trottier, Dallas with Modano. The only exceptions I can think of are Carolina and New Jersey.

A legit #1 center is a threat to score goals. The mindset that your #1 center can make it as merely a playmaker is a new mindset that came along with expansion.

Adam Oates, bless his heart, never threatened like Joe Sakic and Stevie Y. He scored 42 goals in 163 playoff games. That's nice, but it's not what you want from your #1 center.

I hope Backstrom is more of goal-scorer than Adam Oates, or Jason Allison, or Michael Pivonka, or Mike Ridley or...

Dicky Dangles

dangles the puck.
Oct 3, 2006
Manhattan Beach
Draft top 15:

6. Okposo- Top freshman in the country. There was a stretch of time that he tore up the NCAA. Mueller is also worthy of this pick, though factors (like homerism), make me put Okposo ahead.

Actually, Andreas Nodl was the top freshman in the country, but Okposo was damn good too.

The Fuhr*

Kaspars Daugavins #28!!!!!!??!:amazed: :shakehead

Was named to the OHL all rookie team along with Kane and Gregner, was awesome for Latvia in the tournaments he appeared in for his country. Played fantastic for Bingo in his AHL call up at the end of the OHL season. Should play for Bingo next season as a 19 year old. Not too bad if you ask me.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Claude Giroux #11?!?!?:amazed: :shakehead
Jiri Tlusty #26!!?!?!?:amazed: :shakehead
Kaspars Daugavins #28!!!!!!??!:amazed: :shakehead

Nice list, and i greatly thank for your efforts, but i really, REALLY, dont agree with that.:(

all you do is bashing every list here. i know that no one will agree completely with my list, but you are allways bashing everyones opinion without posting your own list. try and make a list yourself and see if everyone agrees with you.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Was named to the OHL all rookie team along with Kane and Gregner, was awesome for Latvia in the tournaments he appeared in for his country. Played fantastic for Bingo in his AHL call up at the end of the OHL season. Should play for Bingo next season as a 19 year old. Not too bad if you ask me.

thank you:handclap:

Louis Houde

Jan 28, 2006
Trois-rivières
1.Jonathan Toews
He had such a great year in the ncaa, performed really well at the WJC and plays like a warrior at iihf moscow. He will be an all-star player for the 20 next years. Will be captain Canada because he's fluent in both languages.

2.Erik Johnson
Good season in U. of Minnesota. People expected a little bit more from him. Showed a lot of upside during the WJC. Very good on power-plays, but needs to work on his 1vs1 situations and pk.Still a blue chip prospect.

3.Jordan Staal
Dominant during pk. He is a very good two-way guy. Works hard, never gives up. Has great hands but needs to work on face-off. His shots are very accurate but needs to add more power to it. A very complete players that fans will love for his well-rounded game.

4.Nicklas Bäckström
Bäckström played very well for Brynäs this year. Had a terrefic WJC-20 but you can see he needs more time to ajust to N/A gamestyle. Not very good along boards, rarely crash to the net but still got awesome vision for lateral passes.I put him 4th but could go 3rd if he ajust himselft well to the nhl.

5.Kyle Okposo
Gosh i love this kid. He's so powerfull, nothing scares him. Always playing hard and tough to control. Might be a super-star in 3 years.

6.Derick Brassard
Injury keep Brassard off ice for a long time, but damn, he came back for playoff and you can see the warrior he is. Altho he's not big, he hits hard, plays like a bull. Great leadership and uses his speed. Keep his feet moving, always at the right place, awesome anticipation.

7.James Sheppard
I liked him last year. Now i'm a fan. He developed so much in a season, thats kinda strange. Hes now very dominant, look like a man among boys.

8.Peter Mueller
Had also a terrefic season.Good frame,nice vision but poor anticipation. I question his hockey sense. Very good on power-plays or breakaway .. but not that good on 5v5.

9.Jonathan Bernier
Great goaltenter. Agility is the main aspect of Bernier. A super quick glove, good stick-handling abilities. His focus on the game is great. Hard to distract, he got x-ray , can see through players. Never leave the puck away of his eyes. Great mobility and impressive reflexes. Needs to work on his mental preperation.

10.Phil Kessel
He got so much talent, so much speed and agility.. but rarely use it during a game. Scared to be touch. Cheats a lot along the boards. Rarely plays hard, can be selfish at times. Major dissapointment. Of course, he's 18 years old, fought cancer and played limited ice time with a not so good team; but he peaked imo. Needs to train hard and change his style if he wants to be a top 3 player.

11.Bryan Little
A true leader, great offensive dynamo. I see a Marc Savard in him.

12.Claude Giroux
Determination,skills and attitude is the key words. He's a true warrior despite his small frame. Works hard, drop his body around the ice. Never gives up. A player every coach dream of.

13.Andreas Nodl
Got impressive gears. Very agile,quick and aware. Neat anticipation and good hockey sense. Great hands.You can see this kid wants to win, whatever the price is.

14.Ryan White
A super gritty player,scores the garbage goals. Do not cares to break his noze, to bleed of lose some teeth to score a goal. Quiet but still has leadership ability.Works like a horse in 3 zones.Could be the next ryan smith.

15.Jay Barriball
Such a great player. Can lift the puck in half a second. His shots are deadly accurate. Has what I call an unique vision. One of the best hockey sense of the draft.

16.Nikolai Kulemin
17.Jamie McGinn
18.Francois Bouchard
19.Trevor Lewis
20.Jiri Tlusty
21.Nick Foligno
22.Ben Maxwell
23.Brad Marchand
24.Michal Neuvirth
25.Micheal Frolik
26.Michael Grabner
27.Alex Biega
28.Kaspars Daugavins
29.Mathieu Perreault
30.Jesse Joensuu

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
1.Jonathan Toews
He had such a great year in the ncaa, performed really well at the WJC and plays like a warrior at iihf moscow. He will be an all-star player for the 20 next years. Will be captain Canada because he's fluent in both languages.

2.Erik Johnson
Good season in U. of Minnesota. People expected a little bit more from him. Showed a lot of upside during the WJC. Very good on power-plays, but needs to work on his 1vs1 situations and pk.Still a blue chip prospect.

3.Jordan Staal
Dominant during pk. He is a very good two-way guy. Works hard, never gives up. Has great hands but needs to work on face-off. His shots are very accurate but needs to add more power to it. A very complete players that fans will love for his well-rounded game.

4.Nicklas Bäckström
Bäckström played very well for Brynäs this year. Had a terrefic WJC-20 but you can see he needs more time to ajust to N/A gamestyle. Not very good along boards, rarely crash to the net but still got awesome vision for lateral passes.I put him 4th but could go 3rd if he ajust himselft well to the nhl.

5.Kyle Okposo
Gosh i love this kid. He's so powerfull, nothing scares him. Always playing hard and tough to control. Might be a super-star in 3 years.

6.Derick Brassard
Injury keep Brassard off ice for a long time, but damn, he came back for playoff and you can see the warrior he is. Altho he's not big, he hits hard, plays like a bull. Great leadership and uses his speed. Keep his feet moving, always at the right place, awesome anticipation.

7.James Sheppard
I liked him last year. Now i'm a fan. He developed so much in a season, thats kinda strange. Hes now very dominant, look like a man among boys.

8.Peter Mueller
Had also a terrefic season.Good frame,nice vision but poor anticipation. I question his hockey sense. Very good on power-plays or breakaway .. but not that good on 5v5.

9.Jonathan Bernier
Great goaltenter. Agility is the main aspect of Bernier. A super quick glove, good stick-handling abilities. His focus on the game is great. Hard to distract, he got x-ray , can see through players. Never leave the puck away of his eyes. Great mobility and impressive reflexes. Needs to work on his mental preperation.

10.Phil Kessel
He got so much talent, so much speed and agility.. but rarely use it during a game. Scared to be touch. Cheats a lot along the boards. Rarely plays hard, can be selfish at times. Major dissapointment. Of course, he's 18 years old, fought cancer and played limited ice time with a not so good team; but he peaked imo. Needs to train hard and change his style if he wants to be a top 3 player.

11.Bryan Little
A true leader, great offensive dynamo. I see a Marc Savard in him.

12.Claude Giroux
Determination,skills and attitude is the key words. He's a true warrior despite his small frame. Works hard, drop his body around the ice. Never gives up. A player every coach dream of.

13.Andreas Nodl
Got impressive gears. Very agile,quick and aware. Neat anticipation and good hockey sense. Great hands.You can see this kid wants to win, whatever the price is.

14.Ryan White
A super gritty player,scores the garbage goals. Do not cares to break his noze, to bleed of lose some teeth to score a goal. Quiet but still has leadership ability.Works like a horse in 3 zones.Could be the next ryan smith.

15.Jay Barriball
Such a great player. Can lift the puck in half a second. His shots are deadly accurate. Has what I call an unique vision. One of the best hockey sense of the draft.

16.Nikolai Kulemin
17.Jamie McGinn
18.Francois Bouchard
19.Trevor Lewis
20.Jiri Tlusty
21.Nick Foligno
22.Ben Maxwell
23.Brad Marchand
24.Michal Neuvirth
25.Micheal Frolik
26.Michael Grabner
27.Alex Biega
28.Kaspars Daugavins
29.Mathieu Perreault
30.Jesse Joensuu

Not bad but LHJMQ biased big time !

Buddhaa

Feb 12, 2006
Riga, Latvia

Yep! Scored his third goal vs Austria today. Has 3+2=5 in five games in IHWC - not a bad showing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->