2006 Draft - who's ‎UP; who's DOWN?

sticknrink

Aug 17, 2006
London
Don't know if anybodys following Jurak Simek's WHL campagin.

15gp-11g-11a-22pts +7. :amazed: :amazed: :amazed:

Looks like a gem by Vancouver in the 6th round.

BruinInPhilly

Nov 12, 2005
Philly, PA
the bruins are going to give a kessel a shot at playing center. he's been on the left wing all year. it should be interesting to see if he stock rises playing his natural position.

francklem

Mar 8, 2006
Jhonas Enroth Selected 2006 by Buffalo round 2 #46 overall

2006-2007 Södertälje Allsvenskan 4 2.26 .919
Södertälje J20 SuperElit 3 1.33 .956

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
the bruins are going to give a kessel a shot at playing center. he's been on the left wing all year. it should be interesting to see if he stock rises playing his natural position.

If that proves out, I would be shocked. Always saw him as a natural wing. Also would blow my reasons for wanting the Pens to take him right out of the water.

BruinInPhilly

Nov 12, 2005
Philly, PA
All I'm saying is that it's no wonder Kessel dropped.

why? he has quite impressive so far playing the off wing. he's playing on the top line and not looking out of place at all. many nights he is bostons best forward and he has generated tons of scoring chances, just hasn't found his finishing touch yet.

BruinInPhilly

Nov 12, 2005
Philly, PA
If that proves out, I would be shocked. Always saw him as a natural wing. Also would blow my reasons for wanting the Pens to take him right out of the water.

i think he is has played right wing in the past, but i don't think he has played on the left wing before, which is where he has been playing in Boston. I've been very impressed with him. Not saying he should have been picked above Staal though, i've only see on Pens game this season and the kid looked great.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

I think the Bruins are willing to give him a shot at center because the concerns about how his playmaking and attention to defense at the NHL level were a bit overblown. While he's not a Selke calibre defensive player, he's held his own and is also using his teammates well while creating a lot of scoring chances.

Last edited:

BruinInPhilly

Nov 12, 2005
Philly, PA
I think the Bruins are willing to give him a shot at center because the concerns about how his playmaking and attention to defense at the NHL were a bit overblown. While he's not a Selke calibre defensive player, he's held his own and is also using his teammates well while creating a lot of scoring chances.

I think he has deserved to center his own line, with all the underacheiving forwards on Boston's top lines.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
why? he has quite impressive so far playing the off wing. he's playing on the top line and not looking out of place at all. many nights he is bostons best forward and he has generated tons of scoring chances, just hasn't found his finishing touch yet.

I just mean that the kids that were "surprisingly" taken before him have proven why. Not a knock on Kessel.

Kaktus*

Claude Giroux...

2005-06 Gatineau Olympiques QMJHL 69 39 64 103 64
2006-07 Gatineau Olympiques QMJHL 19 21 21 42 18

42 points in 19 games 21 goals is pretty damn good.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
I'll just do the Kings since I don't really follow anyone else's prospects...

UP

Jonathan Bernier (1st) - Leading the Q in save percentage
David Meckler (5th) - 10 goals in 12 games for London of the OHL

DOWN

Bud Holloway (3rd) - 4 points in 10 games for Seattle of the WHL

I'd add 2 more UPs

Lewis 10 goals 15 assists 16 games
Zatkoff 3-1 with a 1.51Gaa and .945 save%

Alb Tkachuk

Jun 13, 2004
Germany
Are there any defenders from round 3-7 which can be called a potential steal due to their performance after the draft?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Jordan Staal
Prospect Grade: 8.0 C

http://hockeysfuture.com/prospect/jordan_staal

C = May reach potential, could drop 2 ratings - has shown some flashes, but may ultimately not have what it takes to reach his potential

Which drops you to a:

6 - Third line forward / No. 5-6 defenseman / Backup Goaltender -- generally speaking, players whose game is defensively-oriented, or whose abilities aren't quite good enough to land full-time duty on the 2nd line

............ and people are actually saying with a straight face that Staal's stock has not risen but remains potentially, if not likely, to never play full time duty once he developes (let alone now)? Or that everyone drafted around him (Johnson, Backstom, Kessel, Toews), who were rated higher to much higher, remain world's better prospects?

Randall Graves*

Jordan Staal
Prospect Grade: 8.0 C

http://hockeysfuture.com/prospect/jordan_staal

C = May reach potential, could drop 2 ratings - has shown some flashes, but may ultimately not have what it takes to reach his potential

Which drops you to a:

6 - Third line forward / No. 5-6 defenseman / Backup Goaltender -- generally speaking, players whose game is defensively-oriented, or whose abilities aren't quite good enough to land full-time duty on the 2nd line

............ and people are actually saying with a straight face that Staal's stock has not risen but remains potentially, if not likely, to never play full time duty once he developes (let alone now)? Or that everyone drafted around him (Johnson, Backstom, Kessel, Toews), who were rated higher to much higher, remain world's better prospects?
Who is saying those guys are worlds better prospects? it's entirely possible a few of them have more upside, he WAS the 2nd pick..he can't rise far.

bullsville

May 13, 2006
Toews had 2 assists vs St.Cloude in his first game after his injury

3goals-4 assists for him in 6 games

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
any updates/insights regarding this topic...

Cheers,
Chris

UP
Ryan White
Codey Burki
Ben Maxwell
Juuso Puustinen
Juraj Simek
Logan Pyett
Cal Clutterbuck
Jan Mursak
Michal Neuvirth