2006 Draft seems to be a light weight year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
I'm kind of disappointed.
Kessel has a lightening fast release but gets stopped easlily by the D.
Frolik and Toews seem about even. I couldn't say one was better overall.
Attention to E. Johnson was usurped by J. Johnson, but he seems okay, can skate and has size.
Mueller skates one, two, three steps and then glides. Not overly outstanding. I think he was off side on his goal against Canada.
The stats in the NCAA apparently can be "padded" according to a poster on another tread so those aren't necessarily a valid indicator of success.
I don't know if anyone is especially deserving of first round status they seem kind of immature? Or are my standards to high? :dunno:

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
this IS a downyear, especially with Staal/Zherdev/Fleury, Malkin/Ovechkin, and Crosby all following up in the last 3 years, and Esposito going next year, and Tavares the year after...

so yeah, its a bad draft this year

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
domefan said:
Attention to E. Johnson was usurped by J. Johnson, but he seems okay, can skate and has size.
Mueller skates one, two, three steps and then glides. Not overly outstanding. I think he was off side on his goal against Canada.
The stats in the NCAA apparently can be "padded" according to a poster on another tread so those aren't necessarily a valid indicator of success.
I don't know if anyone is especially deserving of first round status they seem kind of immature? Or are my standards to high? :dunno:

I'll copy this quote. If you're still around here in three years I'll be sure to dedicate a thread to you with this as a preface when Kessel and the Johnson's are lighting the NHL on fire. Then I'll be more than happy to print it, shred it, and send it to you in a bowl with a spork. :)

-

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
weak draft?

aside from crosby last year...

I think the 2-10 in 06 will be better then the 2-10 in 05.

Kessel, toews, mueller, erik johnson, staal, little, backstrom, sheppard, brassard, frolik is a very solid top 10....just as good as 05.

keep in mind there will be guys who rise up that you don't hear much about now. Mike Forney will likely be one of these guys....keep an eye out for him.

It's not like the 2003 draft, not many are, but it's a very good draft, it may just not have that ovechkin or crosby in it, but only 1 team gets that player anyways.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
It's not a bad draft year at all. I just think people have gotten a bit spoiled with the top end talent of the past few years (Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Nash).
But depth wise, the '06 draft is right there with any other draft.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think that I will be pretty happy anywhere the Pens end up in the top ten picks. No, they will not get another Crosby . . . errr Malkin . . . ummm . . . Fleury. ;)

But all kidding aside it seems that 2-10 will be as good as 2-5 this year, or am I wrong? I see some here even see Frolik going at 9. That tells me that the top end will be not too shabby.

Rick Middleton

May 14, 2002
Ottawa, ON
I think this is one of those years where the 7th or 8th guy drafted could easily surpass the #1 career wise. The difference between the top 2-3 and the top 10 is minimal.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Rick Middleton said:
I think this is one of those years where the 7th or 8th guy drafted could easily surpass the #1 career wise. The difference between the top 2-3 and the top 10 is minimal.

Pretty much what I was taking out of the comments from here, when people much brighter than I am on the subject were commenting on it. Still, I would not want to drop below 10, it seems that there is a definate tier there from what I seem to be reading between the lines.

Rick Middleton

May 14, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Jaded-Fan said:
Pretty much what I was taking out of the comments from here, when people much brighter than I am on the subject were commenting on it. Still, I would not want to drop below 10, it seems that there is a definate tier there from what I seem to be reading between the lines.
We agree on something. I think I'm going to have to take the rest of the day off. My head is spinning. ;)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Rick Middleton said:
We agree on something. I think I'm going to have to take the rest of the day off. My head is spinning. ;)

Somehow I thought that you might find me admitting to not being as bright as others on something near impossible to disagree with. Good seeing you again, I miss the back and forth.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
domefan said:

Kessel is a game breaker. He can score and has been scoring. If his moves gets stopped all the time how is he leading his WJC team in points and is second on his college team? And ask Bourque about him hogging the puck.

Mueller one stride two stride glide beat the goalie peel off and celebrate.

Stats in the NCAA can be padded by playing easy non-conference teams. But Kessel stats in the WCHA are very good. The WCHA has been the most dominant conference in the NCAA for a few years now too.

And the biggest thing about this draft is. The top five will feature 2 NCAA Americans Kessel and Johnson a Canadian NCAAer in Towes and a European player in Frolik. No Canadian CHL guys cracking the top 5. Of course its going to be downplayed. Otherwise American hockey and the NCAA would have to be respected.

In the later first guys like Fourney and Okposo could really surprise. But again they are going to be NCAA guys and are from the states. So we will down play them.

Last edited:

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
MN_And the biggest thing about this draft is. The top five will feature 2 NCAA Americans Kessel and Johnson a Canadian NCAAer in Towes and a European player in Frolik. No CHL guys cracking the top 5. Of course its going to be downplayed. Otherwise American hockey and the NCAA would have to be respected. [/QUOTE said:
If you don't think there will be a CHLer cracking the top 5 then you need to watch more CHL hockey. Jordan Staal could very likely go in the top 3 come draft time, Bryan Little could be top 5. Others would have to do alot to crack the top 5 but it could happen. To say none will go top 5 is not an accurate assessment.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
A CHL guy will crack the top 5, it always happens and Staal or someelse probably will.
This years draft is average, its not bad but not great. There is always good talent in most drafts in the top 10, and the depth in the first 15 is pretty good. Id love to pick up a guy like Frolik after the top 5 thought that wont happen, still think he is top 5.
Kessel is top end talent, bit like the 2000 draft with Gaborik and Heatley, star talent but not the supposed "player in a decade" player.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
J17ster said:
A CHL guy will crack the top 5, it always happens and Staal or someelse probably will.
This years draft is average, its not bad but not great. There is always good talent in most drafts in the top 10, and the depth in the first 15 is pretty good. Id love to pick up a guy like Frolik after the top 5 thought that wont happen, still think he is top 5.
Kessel is top end talent, bit like the 2000 draft with Gaborik and Heatley, star talent but not the supposed "player in a decade" player.

We've had two 'once a decade' players in the last two years. Maybe even three. It would be beyond ironic to have one every year, wouldn't it?

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Jaded-Fan said:
We've had two 'once a decade' players in the last two years. Maybe even three. It would be beyond ironic to have one every year, wouldn't it?

I agree, i think anyone who expects that talent each year isnt really thinking. In the last 4 years we have had atleast 3 "once a decade players". Kovalchuk, Crosby and Ovechkin. Malkin may make that 4. Thats insane.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
J17ster said:
I agree, i think anyone who expects that talent each year isnt really thinking. In the last 4 years we have had atleast 3 "once a decade players". Kovalchuk, Crosby and Ovechkin. Malkin may make that 4. Thats insane.

We really could use a new name for it, could't we? 'Top five potential' just doesn't have that sexy ring to it though, does it?

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
This may be appear a weak draft on paper, but only after the top 5.

The fortunate teams that get Phil Kessel and Erik Johnson won't be quoted by the AP lamenting the completeness of this draft four years from now. The Toews fan club zealots might be though.

-

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Declaring a draft weak based on WJC results is pretty spurious reasoning. Would you have called the 2003 draft weak after that WJC, which featured only one really exceptional performance from the 2003-eligible player (Fleury) while most of the top guys weren't even there and the ones who were got outperformed by an 04 (Ovechkin)?

Hav-a-lot*

CHLer in top 5

The only CHLer that has a shot to go top 5 is Mueller who is an American. In my opinion it should go, Kessel, Erik Johnson, Mueller, Toews, and then Frolik for top 5.

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
The top end of the draft is very good. The top 10 is better overall than last year's and I think there are a lot of good players to be had in the 1st and 2nd round. However, after the top 40-50 guys I find the draft to be fairly weak in terms of depth.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
why do people consider ovechkin, crosby, malkin once in a decade talents, and eric staal isnt???

Maybe i'm the only one here who would take staal over any of them. Size/leadership/passing/scoring---- this kid does it all. I see him being in the mold of a yzerman/sakic, not in style of play, but how his career unfolds.

I would not hesitate to take staal over any of these guys. Maybe people don't regard him as a special talent like crosby/ovechkin cuz his hype wasn't as big.

X0ssbar

Rick Middleton said:

...Excuse me for going OT here but a 67,387 post count....am I seeing straight? If so is that an HF record....? :amazed:

My god man....if only we made money per post..you could buy HF a nice shiney new server ;)

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Chrisd said:
why do people consider ovechkin, crosby, malkin once in a decade talents, and eric staal isnt???

Maybe i'm the only one here who would take staal over any of them. Size/leadership/passing/scoring---- this kid does it all. I see him being in the mold of a yzerman/sakic, not in style of play, but how his career unfolds.

I would not hesitate to take staal over any of these guys. Maybe people don't regard him as a special talent like crosby/ovechkin cuz his hype wasn't as big.

It's great to see someone recognize Eric Staal but let's not hijack this thread to another topic.

As for the 2006 draft, I'd have no problem taking Jordan Staal top 5, perhaps higher. I really think he's going to develop a lot in the next few years into an impact player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->