2006 Draft: Pick 20 to 25-Who might be had?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
chiefmonarch said:
A player who could move into the later half of the 1st round is Michael Grabner from Spokane. He hasnt been ranked high in the rankings but had a really good prospects game and has been on a tear since that game. He is a player who could really turn into a steal with the potential I see in him.

22 goals in his last 23 games. Probably the hottest draft-eligible CHL player down the stretch this year. Very quick and deadly around the net.

I agree that he's probably a guy who has pushed himself from a mid-round pick to a player who will likely go in the top two rounds in June. Right now I have him as the #6 player in the WHL behind Mueller, Wishart, White, Irving, and Burki.

Interestingly, several players in the US division have been on fire late this season. Bud Holloway (12 goals his last 19 games) and Ondrej Fiala (19 goals his last 31) also stand to make big late-season moves up the rankings.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
This is of particular interest to Blues fans as well...we've got Carolina's 1st at the end of round 1...then a quick turnaround for the Blues 2nd, early in round 2.

I'm hoping that Codey Burki will still be available when they're making their 2nd or 3rd pick...to add with Kessell/Johnson/Backstrom/Staal/Toews

Rather Gingerly 1*

steblick said:
Although it will never go exactly like this, let's assume for now a "consensus" top 18 of:
Kessel
Toews
Frolik
Backstrom
Tlusty
Johnson
Williams
Okposo
Bernier
Brassard
Sheppard
Wishart
Mueller
Staal
Sanguinetti
Stewart
Foligno
Little
(note that this is not meant to be in order- this is a league by league list)
Any players not on this list would clearly be very good bets for 20-25.

You have Foligno as high as 17? Must be a weak draft year

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Rather Gingerly 1 said:
You have Foligno as high as 17? Must be a weak draft year
I'd have him around the top 15, yes- he looks like a very complete player to me, skill, physicality, vision etc.
And it is a bit of a weak year as few surprises stepped up or blossomed this year.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
I remember someone reading me the riot act when I said Foligno would develop into a first rounder. He had the physical parts of his game. Would be ideal on a line w/AO & Zuby or Semin.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
One guy who may be this years Latendresse is Jesse Joenesuu. i'd have to give him a serious look if he is there. Zubrus-Ovechkin-Joenesuu would be big and skilled. Of course, Stewart and Okposo would be the same situation.

Rather Gingerly 1*

borro said:
The Caps got Nashville's pick. It looks like it will fall 20-25. The Caps seem likely to draft a forward. I looked back at Cup4Wings 3 round Mock and considered 5 picks above and below. 15-25 Range. The names that interest me are RW Chris Stewart (doubt he is there) RW Kyle Okposo RW Jese Joenesuu C Cory Emmerton C Ben Maxwell. Any chance Little, Vasyunov or Nigel Williams drop here? Anyone else worth looking at?

Red Line had a good article last month on potential late first round picks

Rather Gingerly 1*

steblick said:
I'd have him around the top 15, yes- he looks like a very complete player to me, skill, physicality, vision etc.
And it is a bit of a weak year as few surprises stepped up or blossomed this year.

Must be a real weak draft year or his last name is giving him the big rating

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Rather Gingerly 1 said:
Must be a real weak draft year or his last name is giving him the big rating
I'm sure it has NOTHING to do with his increasing his points from 38 in '04-'05 to 70 in 65 games for Sudbury (more than a point a game). I'm sure it has nothing to do with his 5 goals in 12 playoff games last year. His PM from 111 to 146 and his reputation for being tough to play against. Let me say this Rather Gingerly, the only weak (unsupported) comment was yours!

Rather Gingerly 1*

borro said:
I'm sure it has NOTHING to do with his increasing his points from 38 in '04-'05 to 70 in 65 games for Sudbury (more than a point a game). I'm sure it has nothing to do with his 5 goals in 12 playoff games last year. His PM from 111 to 146 and his reputation for being tough to play against. Let me say this Rather Gingerly, the only weak (unsupported) comment was yours!

Nasty!!!

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
One other note, he lost a first round drafted center (Ryan O'Marra) and still nearly has doubled his production! Mike Foligno was a nasty guy to play against.

justdanickoftime*

i hope we get staal or kessel with our first first round pick, and then get a goalie in the second first round pick, like joe palmer

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Grabner doesn't have a lot of assists--BUT Spokane is a lousey team this year--maybe he just hasn't got much other talent to play with...on the other hand he looked great playing with centre Codey Burki at the Top Prosects Game (and Riley Holzapfel playe RW in that game-he's normally a centre) ..anyway they were par excellence the best line in that game--Grabner looks like he's got a great finisher's shot--but he looked ok in passing when he had some talent to play with...the other thing I really like about him--hitting/finishing checks,effort,defensively sound/good closing sppeed to break up opposition rushes and transition back the other way...

Burki really looked great in that game (was the Player of the Game) --but I followed him afterwards and he didn't put up a lot for the next month--HOWEVER--he finished the final 4 weeks much better with several multi-point games...

These 2 were rated # 23 and #26 at mid-term by Central Scouting in NA skaters--so they go in the last third of round one to first third of round two I would suspect..

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
steblick said:
steblick, I guess you don't see Forney as a guy for your "consensus 18"? What do you think of him as a prospect?

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
timlap said:
steblick, I guess you don't see Forney as a guy for your "consensus 18"? What do you think of him as a prospect?
I haven't seen him personally (maybe next month) but those I've talked to have him all over the board, which may be typical of High School players come rankings time. No consensus is emerging on this guy- yet- same with David Fischer who some I've talked to rate higher than Forney as a HS player.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
steblick said:
I haven't seen him personally (maybe next month) but those I've talked to have him all over the board, which may be typical of High School players come rankings time. No consensus is emerging on this guy- yet- same with David Fischer who some I've talked to rate higher than Forney as a HS player.
Thanks. I'm always interested in your take, which seems balanced. High schoolers do seem to be a mystery even for the professional scouts. :)

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
I've seen him play a few times.

Good player, still pretty raw. Hard to gauge on him really, I just don't see star written over him. I think he'll be a late 1st rounder/early 2nd round type pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad