2006 Draft, consensus #1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Newfie Bruin said:
I like Kessel..He was explosive in the U-17's here in Newfoundland. He was my favourite player there. Well, beside Ryder and Mior(hmm...I wonder why?)

I find Kessel needs to work on his passing a bit more. THe guy is one of the best pure goal scorers around with exciting stickhandling moves but though he knows where his guys are on the ice, I find he sometimes has trouble getting the puck to them, unless it is a wide open pass. The other down fall with Kessel I find is that he hesitates too much with the puck, he is looking to shoot 1st that is a given when you can score like him, but when his shot is taken from him he seems to now think on the ice and it causes him to hold onto the puck too long in traffic as he is looking around and then he (well I found) fans on some passes or doesn't put enough on them when getting it to the guy.

These problems are very easily fixed on the ice, and I am not taking away from his talents as he is super talented, just pointing out some faults he needs to work on.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Chainshot said:
And there is also the difference between watching a 16 or 17 year old in the OHL and projecting them out as a pro. Tim wasn't at all shy about traffic in junior. Not in the least....
That is true, and I never saw Connolly in juniors. I'm not saying these guys will not (or will be) be soft in the pros, it's really difficult to say how they'll be. I'm just saying NOW they aren't as soft as some people claim.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Having seen Little score 4 goals in one game, it's hard not to think this kid will go very high. Although I'm interested in what I've read about Vasyunov and Joensuu.

X-SHARKIE

I have played with Phil Kessel since I was 11 and I saw him this summer at a Badger invite camp and he's got to be one of the best prospects outside of the NHL. Really has what it takes to be a very effective and slippery sniper in the NHL. SHould be the lead man for the 1st spot in 2006 as of now.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Fedz said:
Maxwell is '07.

Maxwell is 06 ranked. He was born March 30th, 1988. The cut off is September 15 1988 before they are ranked in the 07 class. Zach Hamill is 2007 ranked by Maxwell isn't and he will be one of the best players in the draft as well. Maxwell is superfast on his skates and is a real offensive dynamo on the ice.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
moosefan said:
Maxwell is 06 ranked. He was born March 30th, 1988. The cut off is September 15 1988 before they are ranked in the 07 class. Zach Hamill is 2007 ranked by Maxwell isn't and he will be one of the best players in the draft as well. Maxwell is superfast on his skates and is a real offensive dynamo on the ice.
Haha. That's right, I got their birthdates mixed up.

I've heard rumours from Ben himself that he might just play for South Surrey again this year, and go the NCAA route. I didn't even think it was possible since I thought he played a game?:dunno:

Hamill will be the rookie of the year this year in the WHL, no matter who plays, thats an obvious. As he will be the go to guy offensively for the 'Tips.

Maxwell is a great player. It'll be fun to watch him and Hamill battle it out throught the year if Maxy plays in the 'dub.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Fedz said:
Haha. That's right, I got their birthdates mixed up.

I've heard rumours from Ben himself that he might just play for South Surrey again this year, and go the NCAA route. I didn't even think it was possible since I thought he played a game?:dunno:

Hamill will be the rookie of the year this year in the WHL, no matter who plays, thats an obvious. As he will be the go to guy offensively for the 'Tips.

Maxwell is a great player. It'll be fun to watch him and Hamill battle it out throught the year if Maxy plays in the 'dub.

I figured that you got them mixed up...lol.

I don't think Maxwell can go NCAA route now, I think he missed the cut off date for leaving major junior camps to do so, not 100% sure though but I think he is still at the Kootaney camp though. Either way He and Hamill are going to be fun to watch where ever they are. The rookie I am most wanting to see play is Keegan Dansereau, he will be playing for Calgary. He was suppose to be the best player in that draft year with the most skill of anyone even more than Toews but his work ethic and attitude where questioned so he feel to half way through the 1st round, but if things work out for him he could end up being the rookie of the year but you never know.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Fedz said:

from Ben himself???...are you sure you were talking to Ben Maxwell, 1st round pick of the Kootenay Ice in '03??? Mr. Maxwell played 3 games for the Ice last season and therefore is ineligible for the NCAA route. And I didn't have to talk to Ben himself to figure that out!

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
HabLover said:
from Ben himself???...are you sure you were talking to Ben Maxwell, 1st round pick of the Kootenay Ice in '03??? Mr. Maxwell played 3 games for the Ice last season and therefore is ineligible for the NCAA route. And I didn't have to talk to Ben himself to figure that out!

I've played against Ben for a couple of years now, and now him quite well, and that is where I heard it from my friend :)

Then again what do I myself now, as he just played for Kootenay tonight against Vancouver. :yo:

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
I broadcasted hockey games last year at the Viking Cup in Camrose with Joensuu playing and the kid has good size already and looked physically dominate as a 15 year old, even playing against a U 20 USHL team from the states.

He's the real deal.

Unbiased Canadian

Korkki

Mar 6, 2002
Pori, Finland
Unbiased Canadian said:
I broadcasted hockey games last year at the Viking Cup in Camrose with Joensuu playing and the kid has good size already and looked physically dominate as a 15 year old, even playing against a U 20 USHL team from the states.
Joensuu has played with seniors this season and he seems to be equally physical with most adult players. With 4th line checking role he won't be able to compete the rookie of the year award (Jarmo Wasama trophy), but he has also shown that he has good hands and is a good passer.

But I think there is not a consensus #1 like Ovechkin and Crosby in 2006 draft.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
monster_bertuzzi said:
Ben Maxwell will be WHL rookie of the year - mark my words.
He did absolutely nothing last night and was more or less a liability out on the ice. I didn't really see any offensive creativity' from him, even though I watched him all night long.

Right now, he's stuck behind Mahovsky, Taylor, and possibly even Russell at centre for the Ice, with Brett Sutter also in the mix.

Last edited:

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Bryan Little doesn't seem to get the respect his stats deserve.Is there some reason for it.If you go by his accomplishments I thought he might be the concensus #1 at least among CDN players.He won Rookie of the year in the
OHL last year,played well in the17and under worlds, so why isn't he rated
higher.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
I have heard a great deal about Joensuu. A finnish scout compared him to a slower Peter Forsberg. He's the guy I'd go with today, but there are a couple decent guys up there. So far, the 2006 draft crop up top only looks 'okay'. But lots can change.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Jonathan Toews has hardly been mentioned. If you don't know who he is, I'd suggest some research. He's a player you'll be hearing a lot about in the next two years.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Kirk Pedersen said:
He did absolutely nothing last night and was more or less a liability out on the ice. I didn't really see any offensive creativity' from him, even though I watched him all night long.

Right now, he's stuck behind Mahovsky, Taylor, and possibly even Russell at centre for the Ice, with Brett Sutter also in the mix.

Were you watching the same game I was? Maxwell had 4 shots on goal and a couple of odd man rushes where he could/should have scored. He's just so fluent and smooth he makes it look effortless. All of this at age 16. He even dropped the gloves last night.

czechhockeyfan

Mar 8, 2003
Czech republic
Visit site
Unbiased Canadian said:

He's the real deal.

Unbiased Canadian

Czech prospect Michael Frolik(regular 88 birthdate) is much better than Joensuu even if Joensuu has better size. I saw Joensuu at World Cup last year and this year and I know Frolik well.
Frolik plays regular shifts in Czech Extraleague and looks pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->