2006 Draft, consensus #1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Is there a consensus #1 for the 2006 draft yet like Crosby and Ovechkin were 2 years prior?

Can anyone give me the top 10 names for that draft at this point (obviously this will change over the next 2 years). The only name i've read are Bryan Little and Kessel from the US.

Thanks

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
I don't think there's really a consensus #1, rather a group of players that could go #1. That group includes Kessel and Little, along with Alexander Vasyunov from Russia, and Jesse Joensuu from Finland.

Personally, I've only seen Kessel play, and he's the most explosive US prospect out there, IMO. Even over guys like Parise, Schremp, and O'Sullivan. He just flies.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Postman said:
I don't think there's really a consensus #1, rather a group of players that could go #1. That group includes Kessel and Little, along with Alexander Vasyunov from Russia, and Jesse Joensuu from Finland.

[\QUOTE]

1. Alexander Vasyunov--F—Lokamotive
2. Jonathon Toews—Center—Shattuck
3. Philip Kessel—Forward—NTDP 18
4. Benjamin Breault—Forward—Bai Comeau
5. Jesse Joensuu—Forward—Assat
6. Brian Little—Forward--Barrie
7. John Hughes--Forward--Belliville

these are 7 guys in no order who are all going to be fighting for 1st overall IMO.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I think Kessel will drop far.

Sounds like a very soft, defensive liability, Tim Connolly type player.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Moskau said:
I think Kessel will drop far.

Sounds like a very soft, defensive liability, Tim Connolly type player.
Which is why you shouldn't go off what you hear. From what I heard before I saw him, everyone on these boards said Schremp was slow, wasn't physical at all, etc. Well when I saw him, I saw that he's not slow, he's quick, but has average skating speed. He still gets around pretty well though, and when he's on his game, he goes into the corners, hits, etc.

The same with Kessel. There's a few on these boards that said he was soft, avoids physical contact, plays on the perimeter, etc. That couldn't be further from the truth. He's fearless around the net, drives to the net hard, takes the hit to make the play, and is a very fast/shifty player. He's not big right now, but he's only 16 years old. He's stocky though, and very solid on his skates. Not a Tim Connolly player AT ALL.

Last edited:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Postman said:
Which is why you shouldn't go off what you hear. From what I heard before I saw him, everyone on these boards said Schremp was slow, wasn't physical at all, etc. Well when I saw him, I saw that he's not slow, he's quick, but has average skating speed. He still gets around pretty well though, and when he's on his game, he goes into the corners, hits, etc.

The same with Kessel. There's a few on these boards that said he was soft, avoids physical contact, plays on the perimeter, etc. That couldn't be further from the truth. He's fearless around the net, drives to the net hard, takes the hit to make the play, and is a very fast/shifty player. He's not big right now, but he's only 16 years old. He's stocky though, and very solid on his skates. Not a Tim Connolly player AT ALL.

Good. I cant stand wimpy players.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
moosefan said:
Postman said:

[\QUOTE]

these are 7 guys in no order who are all going to be fighting for 1st overall IMO.
Breault over Sheppard? Gotta question that choice since Sheppard has a well rounded game that Breault doesn't and went 1st overall compared to number 4.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
JasonMacIsaac said:
Breault over Sheppard? Gotta question that choice since Sheppard has a well rounded game that Breault doesn't and went 1st overall compared to number 4.

I have seen both play, though I really like Sheppard and think he will be a top 10 pick in the draft. Breault was really ranked to go 1st overall, but had some off ice problems which caused him to drop. Breault is ultra talented in the offensive zone and is arguably the best offensvie talent for his age in Canada. Sheppard is great as well, but he does not have the offensive game that Breault plays, Sheppard does all the little things right on the ice, plays two way, super strength and great passing and offensive capablities but Breault has that extra offensvie jolt that should put him in the top 3 scorers in the QMJHL soon.

Just like in the past drafts, for the Moose Jason Troini went in the 1st round of the QMJHL draft and Alex Tanguay went in the 2nd round of the QMJHL draft, Jason now coaches the Macs AAA team here in Halifax and Tanguay is pretty much an NHL all-star. Draft position means nothing IMO. Sheppard is also the local kid and has top 3 talent in the draft and is huge, I am a big big Sheppard fan, but if Breault never had the off ice problems he would have went 1st overall.

I absolutely love what I've heard about Jesse Joensuu. If I had to choose first today, he'd be my pick. He seems like a strong candidate to be a Sundin or a Roenick; not a guy who's ever going to win a scoring title, but a guy who will lead the team both in points and in personality.

As for who's going to rise/fall, who knows there's two years to find out. I bet you 2 or 3 guys from that top 10 don't even go in the first round. That's just the way things work.

There's no consensus, but I like Joensuu.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench

I guarantee you that Zach Hamill will be a top 5 pick.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Benjamin Breault managed to play top minutes in a really deep CCL team. Him and Francis Pare were great. I think he's a bit smallish though, might pull off a Marc-Andre Cliche for Baie Comeau next year.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
BrooklynCanuck said:
I absolutely love what I've heard about Jesse Joensuu. If I had to choose first today, he'd be my pick. He seems like a strong candidate to be a Sundin or a Roenick; not a guy who's ever going to win a scoring title, but a guy who will lead the team both in points and in personality.

As for who's going to rise/fall, who knows there's two years to find out. I bet you 2 or 3 guys from that top 10 don't even go in the first round. That's just the way things work.

There's no consensus, but I like Joensuu.
I hope you weren't referring to Sundin when you said lead his team in personality.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Fedz said:
I guarantee you that Zach Hamill will be a top 5 pick.

I was reading through this entire thread looking for Zach Hamill's name- I can't believe it didn't come up earlier. He is one of the best 16 year olds in the CHL this year.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Michael Frolik a C/LW from the Czech Republic is considered one of Europe's 'Big Three' (at this point) for 2006- along with Vasyunov and Joensuu. Frolik has been playing on Nat'l teams two years above his age group for awhile now. These three, plus Kessel and Little might be considered a very early top 5 by many.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Zach Hamill is a late '88 birthdate so he isn't eligible until the 2007 draft.

Korkki

Mar 6, 2002
Pori, Finland
My pick is of course Joensuu who will play in seniors next season (with a little icetime though). He seems to go lot ahead every summer and he tackles older players like he was 25 years old. His skating is not brilliant, it looks like a moose on ice, and of course he has not equally strenght like older players. But he is a lot movable and has more skills than players of his size mostly.

(A picture from www.kiekkogalleria.com attached, Jesse is the player in the middle)

cdnhky1

May 16, 2002
Visit site
moosefan said:
Postman said:

[\QUOTE]

Moosefan, John Hughes is highly overrated. Belleville made a bad pick taking him first overall. He's a soft perimeter player who only has success when he can delay and find the trailer off the attack. He won't play in traffic and rarely beats guys one on one off the rush. At the recent Ontario u-17 camp there were 3 centers who are similar to Hughes and stature but much better players overall. Ryan McInerney (4th overall pick and the best forward at u-17 camp IMO), Ryan McDonough (5th overall) and Justin Azevedo (Kitchener's first rounder who is very good). When you add guys like Stall and John Armstrong down the middle there isn't room for a guy like Hughes, although he'll make the team because the first overall pick always does.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
cdnhky1 said:
Moosefan, John Hughes is highly overrated. Belleville made a bad pick taking him first overall. He's a soft perimeter player who only has success when he can delay and find the trailer off the attack. He won't play in traffic and rarely beats guys one on one off the rush. At the recent Ontario u-17 camp there were 3 centers who are similar to Hughes and stature but much better players overall. Ryan McInerney (4th overall pick and the best forward at u-17 camp IMO), Ryan McDonough (5th overall) and Justin Azevedo (Kitchener's first rounder who is very good). When you add guys like Stall and John Armstrong down the middle there isn't room for a guy like Hughes, although he'll make the team because the first overall pick always does.

Thanks for the info, I was hearing from a source in Ontario that Hughes was awsome and in better than McDonough. I never really had Hughes to begin with even in my top 10 picks but I thought I would put him hear because I said, a strong OHL draft year he was first I will put him there incase he turns out.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Leachmeister2000 said:
Benjamin Breault managed to play top minutes in a really deep CCL team. Him and Francis Pare were great. I think he's a bit smallish though, might pull off a Marc-Andre Cliche for Baie Comeau next year.

whats a M-A Cliche??????????????

I know who he is but what did he pull off, if you mean season wise Cliche never had a great season in the Q last year. I am expecting at least 50 to 60 points from Breault this year.

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
I like Kessel..He was explosive in the U-17's here in Newfoundland. He was my favourite player there. Well, beside Ryder and Mior(hmm...I wonder why?)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Postman said:

And there is also the difference between watching a 16 or 17 year old in the OHL and projecting them out as a pro. Tim wasn't at all shy about traffic in junior. Not in the least....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad