2006 Draft, Big Gap after top 6

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
You have a good top6, but you have between 8-12 players overall from the top10 who will be good players. For sure, you have a gap, but after the top6 you have: Okposo, Mueller, Sheppard and Frolik. They will be solid NHLer's.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
You have a good top6, but you have between 8-12 players overall from the top10 who will be good players. For sure, you have a gap, but after the top6 you have: Okposo, Mueller, Sheppard and Frolik. They will be solid NHLer's.

How can you have 12 players from the top 10?

Randall Graves*

Every year people say there is a drop but there are always guys picked later on that become 'steals'

Transported Upstater

Approximately, there's the elite #1-#5, then the very good #6-#8, then the solid #9-#12 guys, then a big dropoff, IMO.

But it's too early to definitively tell yet.

EDIT: I did not necessarily mean their respective draft order.

IMO, here's the potential prospect rankings by group. Keep in mind I'm really on the fringe with Okposo, I think he could belong in either the "Very Good" or "Excellent" categories.

Elite: Johnson, Staal, Backstrom, Taves, Kessel
Excellent: Brassard, Mueller
Very good: Okposo, Sheppard, Frolik, Little, Tlusty

Last edited by a moderator:

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Is it me or in this year draft we have really good talents with "star" potentials in the top6 but after Brassard there is a big gap to complete the first round :dunno:
I wouldn't have called it a big gap. There was a reasonably clear "consensus" on the top-6, but that isn't necessarily the same as saying there is a "big gap" between them and the guys who came after. Mueller, Okposo, Little, Frolik... there are bunches of players who weren't in the consensus top-6 who nevertheless are recognized to have the potential to perhaps ultimately be as good as some members of the top-6. I don't think of that as a "big gap".

Somewhere around pick 20 or so, however, there was a bit of a breakdown in pre-draft consensus which resulted in picks 20-80 being pegged as something of a wash, and whether that argues for gaps or for depth is another debate.

Anyway, I think most drafts have a relatively tight consensus group at the top heading in, and while that consensus is occasionally upset on draft day (Price, Wheeler, a few others in recent years) it doesn't really mean there are any bigger or smaller "gaps". It just means somebody got a chance to exercise a personal preference that didn't mesh with the consensus. This year that didn't really happen.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
He has the talent. I admit, he is quite a high risk guy to pick, but IMO if he ever hits his ceiling, he is gonna be a star.
I don't think he is as high risk as people think. Only thing last year that kept him from being a star was confidence, now that he will get a prime role, major minuets and a chance, his confidence will come back...easy as that.

If Erik Johnson was in the same spot as Frolik the same would have happened to him. People will think Frolik is a maga steal, but IMO he wasn't, he always had world class talent, now he will just get to show it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad