2006 1st round calibre Defensemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
There are obviously the names everyone knows... Erik Johnson, Bob Sanguinetti and Nigel Williams. Then some others I've heard about are Ty Wishart, Mark Mitera and John de Gray. What range should these guys land in, 15-30?

Which other defensemen are 1st round calibre?

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
After the top 3 I think there is a bit of a gap till the next group of d-men. These are the d-men I believe fall in the 15-45 range:

Wishart
Vishnevsky
Ryan
Carle
DeGray
Weber
Shutron
Corrente
Strait
Summers
Mitera
Ruzicka

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
Blue Bullet said:
After the top 3 I think there is a bit of a gap till the next group of d-men. These are the d-men I believe fall in the 15-45 range:

Wishart
Vishnevsky
Ryan
Carle
DeGray
Weber
Shutron
Corrente
Strait
Summers
Mitera
Ruzicka
Corrente might be 3 or 4 spots higher. This guy is not too big but he is always looking to crush somebody. ;)

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Steadfast said:
Can you tell me what type of games these guys play?

Matt Carle is an Offensive dman who can play defense... I'd say his style is similar to SJ prospect Matt Carle... no kidding

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
My list wasn't in any particular order.

Wishart - a solid, smart, reliable d-man...fairly good mobility and puck movement for a big man

Vishnevsky - offensive d-man with good speed...needs to improve his defensive positioning

Shutron - offensive d-man with great vision...lacks size or a physical games and can make bad decisions under pressure...theres a lot of skill there but I can see him being the next Tom Poti

Ryan - Underrated d-man...very good defensively and tough to play against

Strait - Smart, reliable defensive d-man

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Matt Carle is a decent skater. Not the best on the Titan, but he's working on it, and it doesnt impair his D (he's a +20, and has a lot of IT)

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I know i am a homer. But David Fischer. I have seen him ranked as high as 25 for NA skaters. That could put him in the late first. He has size. Is 6'3. Is pretty thin though and needs to bulk up lots. Was offered a try out for the USNDP as a forward. So he can move the puck very well. Is patient with the puck and will not panic. His team gave up an average of just a tad over 2 goals against. It was MN HS but it was at least class AA and Apple Valley does play some very tough teams. Like many MN HS kids he is under the radar. There will be some "who is David Fischer" threads out there but like the other guy. I have a very good feeling he will surprise and justify his spot. He is hitting the weights now to play for the gophers next year. Depending how comes along will tell what role he will have in the immediate future. But in the long run he will play a big part for the team.

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
Personally, of the 3 top Q defencemen (Vishnevsky, Carle, Ryan), I think only Vishnevsky should have a chance of going in the first round. And even he might be a stretch because of his size.

I don't think Ryan or Carle are significantly better than any of the Q guys who were taken last year, and other than Bourdon, the others were all 2nd-4th round picks. It's just not a great year for Q defencemen, IMO.

If they do get in the 1st round, it will have to be because this year's draft is much weaker than last year.

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Lamontagne is what his name means... a mountain. He showed little offense or speed when he was in Bathurst. Don't know about now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad