2006-07 Goaltender Trivia thread

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Congratulations to Roger Maynard and Bryan McCready, who share the March 2007 goaltender trivia title! Both are regular fixtures at the top of the leader board, and can each add another trophy to their mantle.

I'm sitting here writing this as I eagerly await the Devils - Islanders contest which begins in about twenty minutes (no doubt, much of the province of Ontario is joining me). It's a can't-miss as far as I'm concerned, when a playoff spot comes down to one game. And I'm a big Wade Dubielewicz fan.

My Avalanche's long odds of a playoff berth died last night at the Pepsi Center; I was there after buying seventh-row seats from a guy outside the building. In a way, the past month-plus has already been my "playoffs" with just about every Colorado game a must-win for the team.

It'll be interesting watching the playoffs for the first time without my team there. I'll be rooting for the Canucks this year - longtime GT readers will remember that, before I moved to a city with an NHL franchise, I was a Vancouver fan all the way (and the goaltender page started as a Kirk McLean tribute page).

A big record was broken this week, and I'd love to talk about it here, but I'd have to give everyone a free two points in that case. So let's get to the answers from week 20 and week 21!

----------------------------------------------------------------
ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #11.20:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: On consecutive nights, these two goaltenders became the first, and second, female goaltenders to start and win a North American professional hockey game. Name them.
CORRECT ANSWER: On November 5 and 6 of 1993, Erin Whitten (Toledo Storm) and Manon Rheaume (Knoxville Cherokees) each earned complete game victories in the East Coast Hockey League. It was Whitten's second career victory, with the first coming in relief of Alain Harvey.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: In the National Hockey League trade involving the greatest number of active players (not including draft choices), name the goaltenders involved.
CORRECT ANSWER: On January 2, 1992, the Calgary Flames traded Rick Wamsley to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for Jeff Reese. Also changing hands were Doug Gilmour, Jamie Macoun, Kent Manderville, Ric Nattress, Gary Leeman, Alexander Godynyuk, Michel Petit and Craig Berube.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In the now classic Boston/Montreal semifinal series of 1979, name the goaltender who was selected the number-one star of the game in three of the contests.
CORRECT ANSWER: Boston goaltender Gilles Gilbert. The three games includes the decisive game-seven overtime loss to the eventual Cup champion Canadiens.

PICTORAL QUESTION: Name the following goaltender:
year11week20.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Kevin Nastiuk, current Carolina Hurricane prospect here appearing with the Medicine Hat Tigers in the 2004 WHL Finals series against the Everett Silvertips. The Tigers swept the Silvertips to advance to the Memorial Cup.

ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #11.21:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Although his team would win go on to win the series, this rookie goaltender was in net when Bobby Orr recorded the first playoff hat trick by a defenseman. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: On April 11, 1971, Montreal's Ken Dryden was in net for Orr's hat trick in a 5-2 Boston victory. Of course, Dryden and the Canadiens went on to upset Boston and win the Stanley Cup.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender's 1986 goal also tied his league's career record for points by a goaltender. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: On January 7, Kingston's Chris Clifford cleared the puck into the vacant Toronto net in a 5-3 Ontario Hockey League victory. Clifford already had ten assists in his career.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Before it was retired in honour of the great Rogatien Vachon, name the last Los Angeles King goaltender to wear sweater number thirty.
CORRECT ANSWER: Markus Mattsson, famous more for something else he accomplished in a Kings sweater, wore number thirty for the 1983-84 club before returing to Finland for his final three campaigns. Vachon's number was retired a few years later.

year11week21.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Older brother of New Jersey's rising star Zach, this is Jordan Parise in the 2006 Devils training camp. Here Johnny Oduya helps Parise as he puts an Adrian Foster shot into the corner.

Here's the final leader board for March - Roger and Bryan hang on for the win!

Code:
[font=courier new]
MARCH 2007 LEADER BOARD:
1.  Roger Maynard           60
    Bryan McCready          60
3.  Tom Mascioli            57
4.  Pete Hibbard            49
5.  Dave White              42
6.  Mark Calandra           34
7.  Simon Jean              33
8.  Kevin Belobaba          29
    Kevin Cameron           29
10. Mark Benvenga           15
[/font]
And here's the new one for April!
Code:
[font=courier new]
APRIL 2007 LEADER BOARD:
1. Simon Jean              15
   Tom Mascioli            15
   Roger Maynard           15
   Bryan McCready          15
5. Pete Hibbard            7
6. Kevin Belobaba          5
7. Mark Calandra           2
   Frederic Gerrard        2
   Tory Rogers             2
   Dave Thompson           2[/font]

With all of the answers coming up from the past two weeks, this is already getting a bit long, so let's get ahead to the new questions...

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR ELEVEN WEEK TWENTY-TWO (Answers due 10pm MDT 04/14/07):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender recently broke the National Hockey League record for victories in a single regular-season campaign. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the legendary goaltender who started playing the position long before learning how to skate, wearing boots on the ice until the age of eighteen.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: The National Hockey League's first all-star game was a benefit game for the injured Ace Bailey. Name the goaltenders who participated in the game.

year11week22.jpg

Good luck!
Doug
http://hockeygoalies.org

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Before we begin, a moment of sadness to discuss as goaltending pioneer Warren Strelow passed away on Wednesday at the age of 73. Working for the San Jose Sharks for the past ten years, he helped develop the careers of Evgeni Nabokov, Vesa Toskala and Miikka Kiprusoff, and also worked with a young Martin Brodeur.

Strelow was the first full-time goaltender coach in the history of the league (as those of you who have been reading GT this season well know), and is probably best known for working with Jim Craig during the 1980 United States Olympic gold-medal campaign.

I've got a few more Strelow questions I'll run later in the season. Rest in peace, Warren! You will be missed.

Martin Brodeur was the answer to the two-pointer last week, setting a new National Hockey League record with forty-eight victories. A lot of people have written me to complain about how the shootout artificially increased Brodeur's win totals.

However, I'll counter with the point that essentially all records are set in historical periods favourable to those records. Goal scoring records are set in periods of high offense, for example.

Who stayed up for the entire Dallas-Vancouver game on Wednesday? I'm so glad to be living in the western half of the continent, but that was still a long day (I'm on the ice at seven a.m. on Wednesday mornings).

Let's get to the answers!

ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #11.22:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender recently broke the National Hockey League record for victories in a single regular-season campaign. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: With a 3-2 victory over the Philadelphia Flyers on April 5th, Martin Brodeur earned his forty-eighth victory of the 2006-07 campaign. The New Jersey goaltender narrowly edged Vancouver's Roberto Luongo in this category; both are considered strong candidates for the Hart Trophy.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the legendary goaltender who started playing the position long before learning how to skate, wearing boots on the ice until the age of eighteen.
CORRECT ANSWER: Georges Vezina, who went on to the be the first great goaltender in the Montreal Canadiens' storied history.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: The National Hockey League's first all-star game was a benefit game for the injured Ace Bailey. Name the goaltenders who participated in the game.
CORRECT ANSWER: Charlie Gardiner played for the All-Stars, while George Hainsworth was in net for Toronto. The Leafs ultimately prevailed by a 7-3 margin.

year11week22.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Having played for all three franchises local to the New York City area, this is Mike Dunham appearing with the Blueshirts. Dunham played an even one hundred games for the Rangers franchise.

Once again, Roger and Bryan hold down the fort at the top of the leader board.

Code:
[font=courier new]
APRIL 2007 LEADER BOARD:
1.  Roger Maynard           30
    Bryan McCready          30
3.  Simon Jean              27
4.  Tom Mascioli            22
5.  Kevin Belobaba          20
6.  Pete Hibbard            19
7.  Mike Moore              15
8.  Mark Calandra           14
9.  Kevin Cameron           12
10. Frederic Gerrard        10[/font]

I turned the three-pointer into an additional five-pointer this week, mainly because I'm a rascal. But also because they're both pretty tricky!

So there are seventeen points possible this week. Ha!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR ELEVEN WEEK TWENTY-THREE (Answers due 10pm MDT 04/21/07):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Including this season, name the goaltender who holds the longest active streak of consecutive seasons with at least one appearance in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION ONE: This goaltender is the only player with experience in the National Hockey League as well as the American, International, East Coast, Central, West Coast, United, and Western Professional leagues. Name him.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION TWO: Fresh from junior hockey, John Vanbiesbrouck made his National Hockey League debut against the Colorado Rockies. Name his backup on that evening, who never appeared in net during an NHL game.

year11week23.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
So I guess now we have another reason to call Jamie McLennan "Noodles"? Saw his picture on Goalie Trivia and went bonkers, he did. The news just came over the wire that he'll be suspended for Calgary's next five games.

I'm nearly finished with an excellent book which I wanted to tell you about. "Blood Feud: Detroit Red Wings v. Colorado Avalanche", written by Denver Post sportswriter Adrian Dater. It's an excellent read and the pacing is very quick.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1589793196/thegoaltendhomep

I should warn that it's probably not a good book for the kids, as Dater quotes accurately without concern for sensitive ears. In particular, even I learned some new words when reading one of Marc Crawford's outbursts. So you have been warned!

I thought the Strack question in particular to be quite difficult last week; many of you were up to the challenge! Let's take a look at the results:

ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #11.23:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Including this season, name the goaltender who holds the longest active streak of consecutive seasons with at least one appearance in the Stanley Cup playoffs.
CORRECT ANSWER: Appearing in the postseason in each National Hockey League season since 1997, Martin Brodeur has been a springtime fixture in the New Jersey swampland.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION ONE: This goaltender is the only player with experience in the National Hockey League as well as the American, International, East Coast, Central, West Coast, United, and Western Professional leagues. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: With leagues merging and dissolving, this may be a record never to be broken, but Christian Soucy has played in seven North American minor leagues. Aside from his cup of coffee with the Chicago Blackhawks, Soucy has tended net for Indianapolis (IHL), Fort Worth (CHL), Jacksonville (ECHL), Kentucky (AHL), Baton Rouge (ECHL), Austin (WPHL), Houston (IHL), Tucson (WCHL), Arkansas (WPHL), Elmira (UHL), Louisville (AHL), and Anchorage (WCHL). To the best of my knowledge, he has retired from active duty.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION TWO: Fresh from junior hockey, John Vanbiesbrouck made his National Hockey League debut against the Colorado Rockies. Name his backup on that evening, who never appeared in net during an NHL game.
CORRECT ANSWER: Lake Placid native Rick Strack sat the bench for Vanbiesbrouck's debut. Strack was inducted into the SUNY-Plattsburgh sports hall of fame in 1993.

year11week23.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Jamie McLennan, in his four-game stint with the 2004 New York Rangers. After Jussi Markkanen was dealt back to Edmonton, the Rangers needed a partner to team with Mike Dunham, and McLennan was brought in from Calgary.

Roger Maynard holds the sole lead with two weeks to play. Good luck!

Code:
[font=courier new]
APRIL 2007 LEADER BOARD:
1.  Roger Maynard           47
2.  Simon Jean              44
3.  Bryan McCready          42
4.  Tom Mascioli            39
5.  Pete Hibbard            36
6.  Kevin Belobaba          27
7.  Mark Calandra           26
8.  Kevin Cameron           19
9.  Mike Moore              15
10. Frederic Gerrard        12
[/font]

Eighteen points possible this week, just because I want to use some more of my questions.

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR ELEVEN WEEK TWENTY-FOUR (Answers due 10pm MDT 04/28/07):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: With one more postseason shutout, this goaltender will tie the National Hockey League career record. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION ONE: In Dallas' first-round series against Vancouver this spring, Marty Turco has blanked the Canucks on three separate occasions. Prior to this season, name the last time a National Hockey League goaltender has recorded three (or more) shutouts in a single series.

THREE-POINT QUESTION TWO: Prior to Martin Brodeur, name the last goaltender to start a playoff game for the New Jersey Devils.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Name the goaltender who, upon his call-up to the National Hockey League, famously told his general manager that "your hunt for a goaltender is over".

year11week24.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
For the past few years, Dallas' Marty Turco has been criticized for underperforming in the postseason. Well, he can't really be faulted for what happened this year. Turco had three shutouts in a losing effort as the Stars fell to the Vancouver Canucks. The last time this happened? I'll tell you next week. :)

You'll be happy to know that I'm caught up all the way to February 22 on the goaltender game logs. I should be all the way caught up by...2011 or so. Silly actuarial exams.

Let's get to the answers!

ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #11.24:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: With one more postseason shutout, this goaltender will tie the National Hockey League career record. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: The New Jersey Devils' Martin Brodeur currently has twenty-two blankings in the postseason, recording his most recent on April 20 against Tampa Bay.

THREE-POINT QUESTION ONE: In Dallas' first-round series against Vancouver this spring, Marty Turco has blanked the Canucks on three separate occasions. Prior to this season, name the last time a National Hockey League goaltender has recorded three (or more) shutouts in a single series.
CORRECT ANSWER: On April 16, 2004, Toronto's Ed Belfour stopped twenty-one shots in a 2-0 victory over the Ottawa Senators. Two days earlier, Tampa Bay's Nikolai Khabibulin also turned the trick.

THREE-POINT QUESTION TWO: Prior to Martin Brodeur, name the last goaltender to start a playoff game for the New Jersey Devils.
CORRECT ANSWER: On May 11, 1994, Chris Terreri stopped thirty-eight shots in a 5-3 victory over the Boston Bruins, closing out New Jersey's conference semifinal series. Brodeur was back in the net for the famous conference final series against the rival Rangers.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Name the goaltender who, upon his call-up to the National Hockey League, famously told his general manager that "your hunt for a goaltender is over".
CORRECT ANSWER: Mike Palmateer, who was somewhat correct with his claim. Unfortunately, a troublesome ankle ultimately led to Toronto's next hunt for a goaltender.

year11week24.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Perhaps the next great Montreal Canadiens goaltender, this is Carey Price, the fifth-overall selection in the 2005 entry draft.

One more week, and Roger Maynard still holds his edge!

Code:
[font=courier new]
APRIL 2007 LEADER BOARD:
1.  Roger Maynard           65
2.  Simon Jean              62
3.  Tom Mascioli            57
    Bryan McCready          57
5.  Pete Hibbard            51
6.  Mark Calandra           39
7.  Kevin Belobaba          37
    Kevin Cameron           37
9.  Mike Moore              22
10. Maxime Deslippes        15[/font]

The three-pointer this week is courtesy Roger Maynard. Thank you to him! I also threw in an extra five-pointer this week because it's the last week of the season. Good luck and enjoy!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR ELEVEN WEEK TWENTY-FIVE (Answers due 10pm MDT
05/05/07):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: This National Hockey League goaltender was victorious in his first eight postseason overtime contests before finally falling on Friday night. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: This National Hockey League goaltender made the outrageous claim that the goal nets in three league cities were smaller than regulation size. Ultimately, he was proven correct. Name him.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION ONE: In this spring's playoffs, Marty Turco of the Dallas Stars registered three shutouts in a single series only to lose the series. Prior to Turco, name the last time this has happened in the National Hockey League.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION TWO: Under the tutelage of Warren Strelow, four goaltenders in the San Jose system were named to their league's (postseason) all-star teams in the same season. Name the year and the four goaltenders.

year11week25.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
The final e-mail of 2006-07 begins...now...

Congratulations to Roger Maynard, who takes home a fifth consecutive championship in a runaway!

I'm nearly completely caught up with the 2006-07 NHL goaltender game logs. In order, after that is complete, I'll update the season statistics and then go back to the AHL game logs. I'm also about halfway through 1984-85's game logs, which is one of my favourite seasons.

Anyhow, let's get to the answers!

ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #11.25:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: This National Hockey League goaltender was victorious in his first eight postseason overtime contests before finally falling on Friday night. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Jean-Sebastien Giguere of the Anaheim Ducks was perfect in Stanley Cup overtimes (including seven-for-seven in the team's 2003 run) before Jeff Cowan finally bested him last week.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: This National Hockey League goaltender made the outrageous claim that the goal nets in three league cities were smaller than regulation size. Ultimately, he was proven correct. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Jacques Plante, one of the league's more eccentric goaltenders, was the man who made this claim. It turned out that in Chicago, Boston and New York, the crossbar was not welded above the posts, but was aligned with the top, thereby shortening the height of the net by two inches.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION ONE: In this spring's playoffs, Marty Turco of the Dallas Stars registered three shutouts in a single series only to lose the series. Prior to Turco, name the last time this has happened in the National Hockey League.
CORRECT ANSWER: In the 1950 Stanley Cup semifinals between Toronto and Detroit, the Maple Leafs' Turk Broda blanked the Red Wings three times. Unfortunately, his club could not best Harry Lumley for a fourth time, and Detroit advanced.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION TWO: Under the tutelage of Warren Strelow, four goaltenders in the San Jose system were named to their league's (postseason) all-star teams in the same season. Name the year and the four goaltenders.
CORRECT ANSWER: In 2000-01, Evgeni Nabokov (NHL), Miikka Kiprusoff (AHL), Johan Hedberg (IHL) and Terry Friesen (WCHL) all were named league all-stars.

year11week25.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Playing for the United States in the 2006 IIHF World Championships, this is current Florida goaltender Craig Anderson recording a 3-0shutout of Denmark. Anderson had nineteen saves in the triumph.

Roger wins the last championship of Year Eleven going away, putting down the only perfect week to coast to the win. Congratulations!

Code:
[font=courier new]
[B]APRIL 2007 LEADER BOARD:[/B]
1.  Roger Maynard           85
2.  Tom Mascioli            69
3.  Pete Hibbard            68
4.  Simon Jean              62
5.  Mark Calandra           59
6.  Bryan McCready          57
7.  Kevin Cameron           49
8.  Kevin Belobaba          37
9.  Mike Moore              32
10. Maxime Deslippes        15
[/font]

Just to squelch the rumours, I fully intend on being back for a twelfth season in October of 2007. As exhausting as it is at times, I have a great time composing questions, and an even greater time interacting with goalie fans from around the world.

I won't promise anything, but only because I'm superstitious, and the best way to guarantee the end of GT would be to guarantee that I'll be back.

What started back in 1994 as a gimmick to get traffic to my goaltender page has really turned into something much different. I run the site because I want to learn as much about the history of the position as possible, and the trivia has facilitated that more than anything.

Thank you again, and I hope to see you all in October! Enjoy your summers, and send me any questions you think of!

Doug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad